In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Red-dot/green-dot scope questions

spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
Hey everyone... I'm still out here in Wisconsin, mostly because the roads are closed in Colorado (we're leaving tomorrow come hell or high water because the wife has to get back to work on Wednesday). I brought my 10/22 out here and I've been plinking around with it like crazy and having a ton of fun. However, I've discovered that consistently, using the open sights, I'm grouping 3" too low. I've adjusted the sights as far as possible, and still I'm 3" too low.

I don't want a magnification scope. I have seen the red-dot and green-dot scopes and they're neat. I'd like to put one on the 10/22.

As recoil isn't an issue, I'm not overly concerned with the sturdiest-built scope, and I don't want to spend a fortune on a red-dot. I've seen a few lower-end scopes made by BSA, nsctar and A1Optics that would seem to fit the bill. Does anyone have any experience with these?

What is MOA, and is there a big difference between 3MOA and 5MOA?

Obviously, it would seem that 11 brightness settings is better than 7, but does it make a big deal if all I'm doing is plinking and taking out the occasional squirrel?

Is there anything else I should know about prior to buying one of these scopes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple BSA red-dots ... the last one I bought at Walmart for $30 I think ... my experiance has been good with low recoil firearms ... everything .22 through 9mm and AR's ... haven't tried them on anything bigger.

The difference between 3 and 5 MOA is the size of the dot.

Just keep in mind, these are not top of the line ... but they do have a "Life-time Warranty"
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spanielsells....I'm in the same boat with you. I've been wanting to put something on my 10/22 and have been considering an inexpensive Simmons or something. But, a Red Dot might be the way to go. Here is an explanation of MOA:
    http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

crims40