In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COMPUTER HELP, PLEASE?

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
Have a computer that when I try to boot it says, NTLDR is missing. Bad hard drive? Put another hard drive with operating system on it and computer boots to, "sorry for the incovenience blah blah, Start in safe mode, normal mode" Etc Etc. When I try safe or any of the others it just fills my screen with a lot of lines of words with DRIVERS such and such at the end. Help? [:(]

Comments

• Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Take the floppy out the A drive and restart.

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No floppy, no cd.
  • Options
    ginmartiniginmartini Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Rosie. I'm guessing that you are running XP or Win 2k. It wouldn't hurt to give more details, but NTLDR is needed to start either of these. If you go here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728 they have some suggestions on troubleshooting it. You'll probably be able to fix it with a repair. Or you can do a parallel load of a new system. It should be straight forward, as long as you have backed up your data recently. If you do a repair you may need to reload your applications, though. Good luck I hope this helps.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That file is needed for your start up, you will need to do a reformat if you cannot repair it, putting in a different drive will not do, it is a file that is in your mother board when it was loaded

After that you need to find out why it is missing, most common is the processor did not put it away correctly, you may need to reapply some thermal gel to make sure it is not overheating and causing it to crash
  • Options
    carolinaboycarolinaboy Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosie -

ginmartini is on track. if you have the system CD, you can boot the CD and try and repair the windows installation. Not sure what 1911a1fan is about; improper shutdown can cause problems but I wouldn't worry about thermal gel etc unless you have totally dis-assembled your computer recently.

Try the link ginmartini sent you, and good luck.

cb

Gun Control = FIRM GRIP!
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure improper shut down, power failure etc. can harm a hard drive that's elementary

When you turn on your computer your bios looks for the master boot record, NTLDR is part of that master boot record, it has ether been deleted or renamed simple putting in another hard drive will not restore it, the path must be exact from bios to hard Drive it now has been interupted

Thermal gel should be reapplied once a year, it dries up or the thermal tape even dries up, I have seen many fried processors with little to no evidence of thermal gel, I have had several computers on my bench that the gel had dried up and dissipated you could hold onto the heat sinks because there was no heat loss, and without heat dissipation you can and will burn up a processor , just one thing to keep in mind since it will affect how things are put away during a shut down, I have seen it happen this way, not a lot but, I have seen it, and it frustrates many people I have seen people replace hard drives, ram, power supply, then a entire new mother board only to find that the processor has already been harmed,And was the culprit the entire time then did not do it's job in putting away records, people think its only job is to start up and run programs but it is not done working till the power is off
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Rosie -

Nothing except the basic BIOS resides on the motherboard. Everything needed is offloaded from the HDD during the boot and startup sequence.

You've tried two drives in this machine and neither work. I would ask if perhaps you'd tried these HDD's in another system? My guess is that they'll both work there, but that's something you have to prove.

If I'm correct, then the problem comes back to your system. A few things might be considered...

1. Old motherboards sometimes don't handle large capacity drives too well. This shouldn't be a problem with components manufactured within the last five years or so, but it's something to consider.

2. You may well have a faulty memory module. This could account for the different message signatures from the two drives as each will load into slightly different memory locations on startup. (Just the nature of the beast.)

3. Last and most probable is the CPU. Check the cooling fan and make sure it's actually doing the job. Assuming a good fan, then I'd be very suspicious of the CPU itself. I've had bad luck with the Celeron line and just yesterday replaced a AMD Athlon with this type of problem.

The solution (except for a bad fan or memory stick) is probably a replacement motherboard and CPU combo. Very inexpensive these days and much more effective than chasing questionable components.

Look at the "New Egg" site if you're interested. $79.00 bought me a much more powerful machine that I knew would work right out of the gate.

As always... My e-mail is listed in my Bio and you're free to contact me at any time.

Nord
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Rosie, I have decided on a 45/70 modification to mine. I was going to go with the 38/55 re-boot, but decided that more is better. It looses a driver or two everytime it is restarted and I have decided to sell a gun to buy a new one.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems