In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Refresher: Women's Self-Defense Pointers

zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Got this e-mailed to me today - makes sense!
BEST1.jpg

If YOU think so ... pass it along!

We can now add to the list of victims the retired 77 yr. old TCU professor from Ft Worth whose body was found last week in Oklahoma--and the 11 yr. old in Sarasota, FL. Because of these recent abductions in daylight hours, refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation...This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, everyone you know.

After reading these 9 crucial tips, forward them to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.

1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:

A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat

B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably, in a zig-zag pattern!

8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

************* Here it is *******
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door."

The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.

Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby

This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.

I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well.

Send this to any woman you know that may need to be reminded that the world we live in has a lot of crazies in it and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

If you have ever really looked inside a trunk, most cars except the electric open ones, can be unlocked from the inside, a little slot, a dime will do it,
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zip- I believe these good intentioned emails can get alot of women hurt. I tell women to carry a gun, my girlfriend happens to be a Tae Kwon Do black belt, the size disadvantage for the average female to the average male can't be ignored. I out weigh my girlfriend by probably 70 or 75lbs. I am convinced 9 times out of ten or more, a 100 or 110 lb black belt, doesn't have a good chance against a 175 or 180lb attacker with a plan. Many women also wear high healed shoes, that means running in them is about out of the question, or running bare-foot. Alot of women also have long hair, it's just one more thing for an attacker to grab onto and impose his will on the victim. I think emails like this provide a somewhat false sense of security. I got her a Beretta .380 and a choice of a few different holsters, and a concealed carry lic. She's a good shot and she carries all the time. That levels the playing field for her against a would be attacker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:She's a good shot and she carries all the time.

Good idea, EXCEPT most women don't want to carry and in many places, they can't.
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Women should be allowed to carry a gun in their purse without a permit.
    just the thought of this will make predators hesitate.
  • Options
    marine22marine22 Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that every woman should remember is that anything can be used as a weapon of opportunity. Will I be able to get my shoe string out of my shoe and have an attacker hold still long enough for me to get behind him and try to choke the s*it out of him with my shoe string? Probably not, but the point is almost anything can be used as a weapon. We learned that if you are walking to your vehicle hold your keys in your hand so that one key is sticking between two of your fingers. This can be a very good weapon. If someone comes close enough to you, just try to gauge their eyes out, or try slashing them like a knife.
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    I think gunning the engine when there is a gun to your head could be a very bad idea.
    Especially if the guy is nervous and already clenching the trigger, and if your car is realtively sluggish.
    The probability of the acceleration jerking his hand and gun into a position that would miss your head before he pulls the trigger is low I would say.
    Elbow the guy.... ohhh good tip... yea whatever, u may get in a couple good licks before he kills you but hey if your attacker is bruised that may help identify him later, you'll still be dead though.

None of my cars have ever had trunks(all hatchbacks), but I didn't think the tail lights were directly exposed to the contents of the trunk, I doubt you could kick out the tail lights and get a arm out, I also dont know how many car have internal releases for this reason, but it would be reasonable to assume a criminal intending on commiting such a crime would have an older model car without the internal release.

A man sitting alone in the car next to you is suspicious, the question is how does he know the car is yours, if he knows where u parked, might he know where u live, or does he park next to random cars figuring hes got 2 cars next to him and one of them will probably be a woman's. I'd say wait a while and see if he leaves, or get in the car from the other side while keeping a close eye on him

4 out of 100 times, i dont know where they get this statistic, I suppose its better than getting in a car with a serial killed, but if the guy just wants the cash in your purse and to buy a few things with your credit card before u report them stolen, this dramatically increases your chances of being killed, this is a case where instead of running, it would be nice to be able to return fire.

That crying baby story reaks of the stench of urban myth to me.

Tossing the purse/ wallet sounds like a good idea.
    Why is this directed specifically at women, men get robbed too, now some sexual assault/rape& homicide is 99% directed at women, but men get robbed too. And if they come up behind you nad already have a gun yo your head by the time you turn around, your CCW wont save you, but them bending over to pick up the wallet you "dropped" or delibratly threw may give u time to get away or shoot them.
    Plus there have been more than one serial killers who preyed on teenage boys (guess since they werent preists, they had to kill them to keep them quiet, instead of using their position to make the kids afraid to speak out)

Id say a good peice of advice would be to wear good running shoes, not high heels, carry a gun, and if you can't, then a taser/pepper spray/knife/dagger.

And heck while you at it, especially if you live farther north where its cold in the winter, wear a level 3 vest under your winter clothing.
    In the summer clothing when females like to show off their "god given gifts", they probably wont be willing to do this, and simultaneously make themselves bigger targets.
    Id say best advice would be don't dress like a sister, makes you a less desirable target.
    Or...... if some guy is creeping you out and following you, and you are dressed like a sister, put out willingly. Then he wont have to kill you and dump your body in a remote location to cover up his crime.
    beware though, he may expect u to keep doing it, and when you "break up", then you will probably be in danger again.

Ok Im just rambling and giving bad advice here, no need to say how stupid or wrong it is, I admit its dumb advice.

*edit due to censor: sister= S L U T*
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:That crying baby story reaks of the stench of urban myth to me.

Perhaps, but how many little kids have been stolen and murdered while helping a stranger 'look for his puppy?' I think there are just some universal things that tend to throw good people off their guard. I remember reading about a rapist that would put a dab of catsup on his forehead, run up to a door and demand to use the phone to report his injured kids in his smashed up car to the police! He said, "Worked every time ... like a charm!"
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wife carries mace and a tazer and is skilled in the use of both....on thing that I did not see mentioned is that a woman has to carry herself in a way so as not to be easily identified as prey....look people in the eye, walk strait, head up,
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1