In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weekend pics (with new cam)

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Well I got the Nikon D90 on Thursday and it is awsome. It is way above my head for now so I have lots of studying to do. I need to get to the store and pick up those books.

I am amazed at the difference in depth this cam gives.

Had a few toys out:
DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

Giving the "target" M1A a few rounds (me):
DSC_0032.jpg

(buddy)
DSC_0042.jpg

Quietly taking out some water filled pop cans [:D]
DSC_0059.jpg

Having fun with the new CMMG dedicated .22 upper, still trying to like the Holo sight on there:
DSC_0149.jpg

Who can knock the cans out first:
DSC_0117.jpg

Getting the buddies wife to shoot a few rounds. She does not shoot much but this is a good looking pic:
DSC_0126.jpg

Of course there was some drinking done:
DSC_0154.jpg

Comments

• Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks good. My brother has one of those Nikon cameras, but he used it when he was doing his newspaper journalist stuff so he HAD to get one when he left.

Only one thing I dont like.. He is drinking while shooting. tsk tsk tsk.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now if you could just learn to resize your pics everything would be perfect![:0]

Nice pics BTW.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Now if you could just learn to resize your pics everything would be perfect![:0]

Nice pics BTW.

Are they showing up that big on yours? Is it screen size or file size problems? First I have heard of it. I though screen size they were set to be large enough to see but not to large to over fill the screen.

Jacob I know what you mean. That is my buddy that always has a beer in his hand so it is hard to get pic without one. He is one of the safest people I know and would trust him more with a beer then most without.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

Nice pics BTW.

Are they showing up that big on yours? Is it screen size or file size problems? First I have heard of it. I though screen size they were set to be large enough to see but not to large to over fill the screen.

Jacob I know what you mean. That is my buddy that always has a beer in his hand so it is hard to get pic without one. He is one of the safest people I know and would trust him more with a beer then most without.

It's no big thing!
    I try not to post anything over 800X600, and they won't stretch the thread for MOST folks.

I am running a 20" LCD display, and it is stretched slightly.
    Was more funnin with ya than anything though![:D]

Looks like a nice camera for sure.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Cool pics. What lens did you use?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew

All those were taken with the 18-105mm that came in the "kit". I did get the 100-300mm as well.

Here is a pic taken at my house with the 100-300mm, not sure where I had it zoomed to though.

DSC_0042-1.jpg
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    DSC_0117.jpg

Tell me that is not a beer [:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

Its a beer can, it is what we were shooting at.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

Its a beer can, it is what we were shooting at.

Gotta empty them first though.[:o)] A bit of "group tightener" I suspect.[:D]
    edited November -1
    We all like different things I guess.
    I have never had an issue with the Eotech since I got one,......the slight difference in width doesn't bother me in the least.

I know I have heard you talk about not liking that aspect several times.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun! I like your "toys." I would love to get a better camera someday. I really want a good digital that you can change lenses. What I have now is good....but better is always out there.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    We all like different things I guess.
    I have never had an issue with the Eotech since I got one,......the slight difference in width doesn't bother me in the least.

I know I have heard you talk about not liking that aspect several times.

Yeah that is a fact. I like the sight and I like the platform I just dont like the two together. I had the Eotech laying around so I though I would give it more of a try on a gun that will get a lot of trigger time. I figure that will give me a real reason to like or not like it.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Bought my daughter the Nikon D60 last Christmas--and seriously pondered the D90 for myself. Held off for now, but I got a feeling it's coming before long. Used to do a LOT of photography and I miss it--getting used to the new bells and whistles will take a bit for me, too. My daughter loves hers. Nice pix you posted.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1

All those were taken with the 18-105mm that came in the "kit". I did get the 100-300mm as well.

Here is a pic taken at my house with the 100-300mm, not sure where I had it zoomed to though.

DSC_0042-1.jpg

Seems your Nikon D90 was set at:
    24Bit colourdepth, had a (up to) 300mm lens, at F/5.6.
    Exposed at 1/500th of a sec and set at ISO-500 when you took the pic at May 22nd '09 at 7.35 - oh and the camera was set to measure the light in a grid-pattern.
    edited November -1

DSC_0042-1.jpg

Great pic. Program mode? Get a good tripod and a remote. You won't regret it.
    3563391719_5172f2073f_m.jpg
    edited November -1
    DSC_0117.jpg

"Looks like your drinking group has a shooting problem."

That's what we always said when someone said our shooting group had a drinking problem on the sporting clays range.[}:)]

I know. We never had an incident either.
    edited November -1

Great pic. Program mode? Get a good tripod and a remote. You won't regret it.

So far I am just running in auto mode. I will be getting those books and reading about how to use it right. Like everything else is it is another project to work on.

I have a cheep tripod for now and it was due to the weight issue. I NEED some more goodies for it before I do that. I need a battery pack to use AA's when I am on fires and dont have access to power. I also need to get a few (3-4) SD cards so I can rotate them out with our web guy (on the fires). One of the biggest things I read that is needed is a good camera strap.

I did get UV lens covers for both of my lenses though to protect them.
    edited November -1
    I had the NIKON Gold Edition strap that came with mine and then I bought a nice Quantaray padded strap. I hated carrying it around my neck. I got the hand grip strap and love it. http://cgi.ebay.com/PIXCO-Pro-Camera-Hand-Strap-Nikon-D300-D700-D80-D60-D90_W0QQitemZ370193159644QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56313b55dc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:570|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

It might be a little tough to use on a fire call though.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    John,

If you need a few bucks to help fix up your house, send me an email.

Great photos, though !!

Doug
  • AZ9JAZ9J Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nwcid, use the CaptureNX that comes with it and crop a small section out of one of your pics. Then take the crop to 100%, you'll be amazed at the sharpness.

Also play around with the color in Capture, you can come up with some interesting photos[:D]

Original
    DSC_0009.jpg

Modified
    sag-mail.jpg
    edited November -1
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Nice!

I like this one so I re-sized it for you. I find that you want to reduce the image size to where the largest size is no more then 750.

This one is now 750 x 498 and should be perfect for viewing on GB.

7481636-cf3.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    John,

If you need a few bucks to help fix up your house, send me an email.

Great photos, though !!

Doug

Fix up my house? You lost me on that one.
    edited November -1
    Think he is speaking of your barn pic![;)]
    edited November -1
    I had the NIKON Gold Edition strap that came with mine and then I bought a nice Quantaray padded strap. I hated carrying it around my neck. I got the hand grip strap and love it.

It might be a little tough to use on a fire call though.

Basically I need something to keep it very secure to me when it is not in the case. It wont spend a lot of time hanging from my neck.

I have not played with any of the software that came with, just iPhoto. Again just had it a few days and we have been out playing.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 25,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a fun day...not too sure about that camper down range.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    Looks like a fun day...not too sure about that camper down range.

Camper down range? The one is more then 45* to the left and the other is 90* off. Plus there at lest 50 and probably more like 100 feet off.

All of that area was theirs and the no one was in that area.
    edited November -1
    Think he is speaking of your barn pic![;)]

We do have a few out buildings:

100_0499.jpg

Obviously taken with a different cam.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great thing about drinking beer and shootin, you have empty cans for targets
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    My wife bought a Nikon D60. I tried to use it once and then went right to Amazon and ordered Nikon D60 for Dummys. A great camera nd a great book.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you guys had a great time, cool pics.