In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

We got the bejeebers blown out of us

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Meigs County OH and surrounding area, had severe straight line winds and rain storms. Trees down everywhere, no power. Honda 1000 giving one light and powering DSL box. Phone still works.

Best friends brother had two HUGE maple trees crush his entire home and his car, all escaped from the house AS IT HAPPENED. Best friend has severe damage many trees down, chickens seen being blown away. Driving rain poured into my basement running like a river through the hobby room. I have large trees down across fences and a general mess to deal with.

Went down the road in my truck, trees down EVERYWHERE, street is green with branches and leaves. AEP says only 350 customers out in Meigs County.... As far as I can tell nobody has power for miles and miles, the sky is dark in all directions.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    Yumpin yimminy!!!! Stay safe!!!!
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay safe. We just got done going thru the same thing with Debbie.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oooooo.....You guys stay safe!!!! It sounds tricky to say the least. I wish I could do something to help.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got the same storm we got a few hours ago here in Indiana. 91 MPH straight line winds, and 58,000 out of power in Allen County according to the first reports.

Got our first .24 inches of rain in weeks.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would guess we got 1.5 inches of rain and according to the weather guy more of these wind storms are heading this way from Chicago, should hit around 5 tomorrow afternoon. I will check out damage in the morning and apply the limited power available to the freezer and then the fridge to keep stuff cold and frozen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I would guess we got 1.5 inches of rain and according to the weather guy more of these wind storms are heading this way from Chicago, should hit around 5 tomorrow afternoon. I will check out damage in the morning and apply the limited power available to the freezer and then the fridge to keep stuff cold and frozen.
    Yep, that 2nd storm is heading for us now, and should hit in an hour or so, then head on over and give you a visit.

Should make for an interesting evening.

It already visited my youngest son in Chicago.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Say any Rock Maple down? I'm looking for a chunk to make in to a cutting board. A 5" - 6" thick round would be nice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Say any Rock Maple down? I'm looking for a chunk to make in to a cutting board. A 5" - 6" round would be nice.
    Those grow west of us, the trees here are sugar maple, though they are often called "hard maple".

Ours are sometimes incorrectly called "rock" maple, but that is a different species.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Say any Rock Maple down? I'm looking for a chunk to make in to a cutting board. A 5" - 6" round would be nice.

I think the tree across my fence is a maple, I will check it out and let you know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

I think the tree across my fence is a maple, I will check it out and let you know.
    Likely a sugar maple Bruce, not true rock maple I suspect.

Rock is much smaller, has a different leaf, and is so hard as to be unreal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was looking at the leaf differences on a web site. I will try to post a picture of the various maple type trees down in the area, Lord knows there is enough of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_glabrum

This has a picture of the rock leaf. The edge is much more jagged than our sugar maple type.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen any storm pictures yet, but fb is lite up like the fourth of July with damage pictures. I haven't talked to my parents yet either, but my sister was posting, so I assume they are ok.

It sounds like, without seeing a clound formation picture that western Indiana all the way to Pennsylvania was hit with a Derecho.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/derechofacts.htm
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Sounds Like Virginia is getting hit too.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those straight line winds are very dangerous and wreak havoc; glad you and your family are safe!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Came through here like an express train knocking stuff down in the deck and large branches in the road. There are reported power outages.
    Tomorrow we'll see just how much damage ocurred.
    Winds were reported at 80 mph with the front moving at 60 mph.
    It got out of here in a hurry.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost, dlrjj - Cool let me know. Also the thing should've read 5" - 6" thick. I wonder what happened [:D]?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Bruce Most of the wind blew itself out getting from your house to mine. I am darn glad I was not on Interstate 64 coming back from Huntington WVA It really looked wicked coming through the mountains on RADAR. The last set of hills between Interstate 81 and back onto 64 every thing just petered out I never got a drop of rain. With the temps for last few days I could use some rain . Hope today is not a repeat of yesterday for you . Hunker down Karl.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Keep those chainsaws ready guys!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    We got hit here in SW Va. around 8 pm. Power out all around except right around us. Trees down, many shingles off.
    Alas, only a trace of rain.
    We were at a local resturaunt when it started. I paid real quick and headed home. Just before my driveway, a large chunk of wood hit my windshield, but did'nt break it.
    Fortunately, mrsdeere's chickens had already gone to roost.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lost power up here for about 6 hrs yesterday afternoon. The second storm hit early this morning and didn't do any more damage.

We're northwest of Allen County so the worst of the storm missed us.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daughter lives west of Ft.Wayne,In, on her way to work big limb came down on the roof of her car,she is okay but her car not so good.Lots of friends still without power.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not good news so far; local power except for spots in Middleport OH are out. The gas stations with gas and power have cars lined up and are running out of gas. I have enough gas for the Honda 1000 for several days of partial use. If the power stays out long I will lose freezer and fridge contents.

I'll just hunker down and fix stuff after the power is restored 3-5 days......
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    hope you get power soon. main thing is, you and yours aren't hurt.
    upright freezer will keep for up to 5 days if you don't open it. chest freezer longer.
    how hot is it there? w/o AC here (115 degrees) i'd be headed to the next county and a motel.[;)]
    hope it's over soon for you.

tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    hope you get power soon. main thing is, you and yours aren't hurt.
    upright freezer will keep for up to 5 days if you don't open it. chest freezer longer.
    how hot is it there? w/o AC here (115 degrees) i'd be headed to the next county and a motel.[;)]
    hope it's over soon for you.

tom

Thanks Tom, it is heading up to about 100 again today, I have the house closed up TIGHT to save the cool inside, a small fan is providing nice cool air. I took several blankets and quilts and wrapped the fridge and freezer with them to help insulate.

We are supposed to get another wind/rain storm this afternoon, lots of weakened trees and widow makers hanging on by a branch or two are going to raise more havoc. AEP says the damage is more that that produced by Hurricane Ike.....WOW.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in Boyd co and we got hit pretty bad last night. My neighbor had a two ft hole in his roof this morning
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    We were without power from 5pm till 3am this morning here in Clermont County Ohio. Trees and limbs down everywhere.