In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NCIC .... help

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
Okay for those who know more than me, yeah I know everyone. :)

How does a NCIC check get run? Just gun ID and serial #?

How does a gun get removed from the system? If it has, will it show where it went?

Just how do I find out if my stolen gun is still listed? It was stolen in Ponca City in the winter of 1989. About 2 years ago a Detective called me and asked if I had recovered the shotgun or if ownership was transferred to a insurance company.

That was all he wanted, when I asked why he was calling and not a property clerk he just said he was "looking into it". (he no longer works at the PD)

This was brought up again because I found a note I had made of him calling. Now I have been talking to a nice lady at the PD and I dont have a case number and may not be able to find the serial number. Due to a fire gutting our house, in 91.

The lady asked all the info so she could look it up and I can give her all the details except the month. I know it was cold we were going rabbit hunting because it was to cold to work. I know it was a 4 digit serial number.

Now this morning I am asked for the serial number, they cant find my gun in the system and to find the report will take time going into the microfilm with a time frame of "winter 89".

Any idea how this works would be nice. I had 3 guns stolen in my life and would sure like the two still missing to be returned sometime.

Makes me think I should call Osage County about the other missing shotgun. I am sure I have all the info on it.

Any pointers or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you bought the gun from a dealer and know the approximate date, you can ask the dealer if he will look you up in his bound book.

I've done that for several of my customers, but there's no guarantee yours will do it for you.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "How does a NCIC check get run? Just gun ID and serial #?"...........NCIC dosen't (never did) know which gun you bought, just that you bought a gun on that day. You would have to contact the selling dealer (if he is still in business and less than 20 years ago) to get that info. there should be a police report made at the time of theft that should have this info also.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave, NCIC and NICS are two different animals. I know a little about NCIC, but nothing of NICS. Admittedly it's been 25 years, but not much has changed. I've linked to the NCIC Manual (PDF), which pretty thoroughly explains it.

Generally, a lost, stolen, felony gun stays in the file until the entering agency removes it. Some of the procedures are not followed, such as the "locate" procedure. Example: Agency "A" enters a gun as stolen. Agency "B" recovers it. Agency "B" is required to place a "Locate", which changes the message key to indicate that the gun has been recovered. This should protect an innocent party who is subsequently stopped with the gun in his possession.Only the entering agency can clear the entry, and sometimes there is no locate and sometimes no "clear".

Records are required to be periodically be validated, that is checked with owner to see if still stolen, etc., but these procedures are sometimes short-changed too.

All you ever needed to know about the NCIC gun file:
    https://www.oregon.gov/osp/CJIS/docs/NCIC%20Manuals/2015/Gun.pdf

Sorry, I can't help with NICS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay the thing is I am getting the odd feeling the gun (Ponca City) was recovered then removed from NCIC, but I am not going to be told by who or when.

The police report seems to be missing, that is why looking into the microfilm of the original is going to be a hassle. With the case number the lady can check to see if the shot gun has been removed.

As to the dealer he has been put of business for years.

I have one of those feeling that nothing will come of this but I will make a few folks mad by poking at them until I get told to flat drop it or find out whats up.

On the gun stolen in Osage county, I called gave the lady the serial number and she told me the officer that took my report would call me. He already did that. The thing is he has not worked for them in over 15 years. He is not sure why they had him call me at all, he cant get into the NCIC system from where he works now. It is starting to sound to me like this gun was never put into the system. I had two stolen at the time and one was returned, why cant the records clerk see that?

Now just my opinion but me being the owner of the stolen property I should be told who, where and when it was taken off, if it had been listed. I understand the guns could have been been chopped up and no longer legal, but even that I should be told.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brian98579
    Dave, NCIC and NICS are two different animals. I know a little about NCIC, but nothing of NICS. Admittedly it's been 25 years, but not much has changed. I've linked to the NCIC Manual (PDF), which pretty thoroughly explains it.

Generally, a lost, stolen, felony gun stays in the file until the entering agency removes it. Some of the procedures are not followed, such as the "locate" procedure. Example: Agency "A" enters a gun as stolen. Agency "B" recovers it. Agency "B" is required to place a "Locate", which changes the message key to indicate that the gun has been recovered. This should protect an innocent party who is subsequently stopped with the gun in his possession.Only the entering agency can clear the entry, and sometimes there is no locate and sometimes no "clear".

Records are required to be periodically be validated, that is checked with owner to see if still stolen, etc., but these procedures are sometimes short-changed too.

All you ever needed to know about the NCIC gun file:
    https://www.oregon.gov/osp/CJIS/docs/NCIC%20Manuals/2015/Gun.pdf

Sorry, I can't help with NICS.

That seems to be at the heart of my problem. Each year I would get a letter from the PD asking if the gun had been recovered. Then they went to using the phone. When I got the call from a Detective not a clerk I was curious. Since that time my info has just disappeared. that concerns me. The Detective no longer works for this PD but it seems if the NCIC was changed I should be able to find out whats up.

Thanks for the link off to read a bit more. [:)]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    All stolen items entered in NCIC are also entered in the originating state system and all traffic in both is archived.

It's possible for an agency to determine if they entered and later removed an item by requesting that their state and/or NCIC supply them with a list of all stolen firearms entries and removals they made during a specific time span.

Considering the size of Ponca City you're not talking about a huge number of possibilities, especially when they're weeded out by type of firearm.

It's just a matter of getting them to do it.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All transactions (inquiries, entries, clears, cancels, locates, etc.) run through the state system (WA, anyway) were archived. I requested printouts for user agencies, using their parameters for all sorts of investigations.

You would probably have to request this at a local level, and the local agency would request from the state. At the state level, I did have access to microfiche (do they use this anymore?) showing all transactions through the system, chronologically. Given precise enough information, I could search manually, but it was a pain in the butt.