In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got shot at this weekend

kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
Was on my way home the other night around midnight and there was an accident on the freeway interchange. Two illegals (no license or insurance either) were drinking and driving and spun out coming around the curve of the on-ramp. Needless to say, the car was totalled and the guys were busted up pretty good. Two off-duty paramedics stopped to help as well. The paramedics were in the back seat working on the guys and I was helping from the front seat and translating since they didn't speak any English. In a few minutes, two firetrucks and two cops arrived. While we were all around the car, another car on the freeway in front of us started popping off shots at us as it drove by. Everyone put their heads down until the shots stopped. One of the cops said that happens a lot around here now. He said the bangers will pop off a few shots at them when they are out on a traffic stop. Pissed me off big time, what goes through their heads?[:(!][:(!][:(!]

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN

Love them Beavers
orst-title-1.gif

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you live in the Phoenix, Az area correct?
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    You didn't shoot back!!

Did the cops at least give chase?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...geeez, I thought this was going to be another Eric Williams story....

Glad no one was hurt...[:)]
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Maybe it was some good samaritans and they were only firing at the illegals?
    Glad no AMERICANS were hurt.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than to have a French division behind me."
    Gen. Patton
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I refuse to offer an opinion on this subject on the chance I would be called a weenie whiner with my panties in a bunch that needed to take a couple of Prozacs and settle down.[:p]

I am also glad no one was hurt.[^]

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I live in Phoenix. It happened at the I-10/1-17 North interchange.
    No, I did not return fire, I was on the opposite side of the car. Returning fire would have required shooting through/past a group of four firefighters, three bystanders and two vehicles at a vehicle doing 55+ on a busy freeway at a distance of 100+ yds. I'm a good shot, but it didn't seem prudent to risk lives in the same manner that the shooters were. Funny thing was that the cop didn't seem that suprised at it. It scared everyone pretty good, but he said it happens more often every day. And NO, the cops didn't chase them down either.
    Rldowns- maybe you could enlighten the forum on the quality of Phx PD and DPS here in AZ.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    AmpersandAmpersand Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, but I can't believe that a police officer did not pursue someone who had fired shots at a group of people on the road. I can't see how this story can be true.

&
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter is a firefighter for the city of Topeka. At one time there were several incidents of the trucks being shot at. Also if you were the equiptment operator you would sometimes be quite a ways from the fire putting you in danger of being mugged. That seems to have calmed down some. I worked nights in a State of Kansas office building, and several times we had windows shot out. There are a lot of nuts out there. Several times at 12:00am I have heard shots within a few blocks of the building.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ampersand- That is the reason I hate Phx. They do nothing about crime here. That's why I was hoping Rldowns would put in his two cents, he used to work for the MCSO here if I remember correctly. If someone steals your car here, expect a minimum 45 minute wait with 2-5 hour wait being more likely. Unless someone actually gets hit they seldom do much about gunshots here. It's ridiculous how much they keep the bad publicity down about it too. Gotta keep people moving here I guess, if they found out that we have 120+ degree summers AND crime they'd probably move elsewhere.[xx(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    "Rldowns- maybe you could enlighten the forum on the quality of Phx PD and DPS here in AZ."

LOL, I moved from Phoenix, Az a little over a year ago...well mabye almost 2 years ago to South Carolina. I used to be a corrections officer for Maricopa County then I transfered and retrained to become a deputy sheriff for a short while before I got fed up with the head honcho Sheriff Joe and his favorite lackeys.

I always thought DPS in Az were some pretty quality guys/gals although they may be a little over zealous in their approach but, they do a good job, Phoenix PD I think half the guys/gals are just there to draw a paycheck.

As far as Maricopa County Sheriffs Dept goes, I worked for those wackjobs, while some of them were good officers a lot of them were just way to clique'ish and if you didn't agree with Uncle Joe 100% of the time you were out of the clique. Those of us that were out of the clique pretty much stuck amongst ourselves. And their detention officers half of them can't figure out if they are pitching or catching. For a while I was one of them mindlessly wandering around the jail trying to do my job but not quite sure what I was doing most of it I had to figure out on my own which is normally OK except in a jail self education can be deadly, the OJT was poor. BTW is Joe Arpio still Sheriff?

Overall I believe law enforcement in that area to have a lot of good people unfortunately they have some horrid management and commanders. Arizona is like on the lowest pay scale for law enforcement on the fricken planet at least when I was there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "I'm sorry, but I can't believe that a police officer did not pursue someone who had fired shots at a group of people on the road. I can't see how this story can be true."

Amp, trust me on this, more than likely the story is most definately true. Phoenix is turning into a war zone and nobody gives a damn to stop it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Uncle Joe is still sheriff, I guess he just got an armored personell carrier with a ma'Duece on top. Don't know what they plan on doing with it, but I'd have it patrolling south of Buckeye Rd. if I was calling the shots. It is amazing that anyone gets arrested here, you really gotta screw up to get caught. It wouldn't suprise me to see locals cutting coke on the hood of a patrol car while R.P. Coltrane sits back enjoying coffee and a doughnut[xx(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    faldumfaldum Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A most interesting variety of posts today!

Kingjoey gets shot at.

Drobs places a Gunbroker bid on body armour.

And Old Single Shots bemoans the fact flatlanders
    are taking over his turf and putting up
    NO HUNTING & TRESSPASSING signs.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned sense of adventure
    people once embraced?

Maybe a good Charles Bronson video
    and a 12 pack are in order.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many APC's does he have now? LOL. The military I remember donated like a dozen Hughes helicopters to the department and then they got that APC for the swat team with the big ram rod on the end, they got one with a .50cal on it now? It's crazy, that place, one of the reasons I am glad to be out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So KJ what caliber was it? handguns? longguns? Scoped?? Give us the details man!! from 100 yards away going 100 feet/sec (bout 60mph) shooting say 9mm's (1200 ft/sec or so) firing from a perpendicular angle you'd have to aim like 10+ yards behind (by this I mean to the side that is to the rear of the automobile) your targets to hit them.. Conversly firing from the onramp you'd have to aim like 10+ yards in front to hit..
  • Options
    faldumfaldum Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kingjoey:

Seems SilverBox forgot to inquire about the rate of twist
    and approximate wear in the barrel!

Or if the kitchen window had a screen or not.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rldowns.. How many times have you seen people shot at in SC along the road or elsewhere? Them morons there in Phoenix would last no time here.Sounds like someone in charge needs replaced.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "rldowns.. How many times have you seen people shot at in SC along the road or elsewhere?"

I haven't seen too many driveby's in Charleston, well I haven't SEEN any, but only heard of one or mabye two since I've been here, I can't speak for the rest of the state but it seems to be pretty peaceful in that reguard, however, the Charleston cops do have this habit of getting run over by placing their body between the open road and an escaping felons car. The thing I can appreciate about Charleston is that from all of the officers I've talked to and had to deal with is that they are for the most part fair but they won't take no from you. Charleston PD and Charleston County Sheriffs Office is a lot more professional than their counterparts in Arizona, with exception to AzDPS.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen to the Sheriff's depts here in SC. I haven't seen any drivebys in the time I have been here. And yes Berkley co. and the rest of the Sheriff depts are pretty tough. That is exactly why we do not have that Bull**** that you had out there in Pheonix.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yea, the only problem we got is that one damned nightclub on Dorchester Road, but, I don't mind the shootings there, it's just a bunch of wannabe bangers shooting eachother. I have yet to hear of any murders here in Hanahan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Silverbox, to humor your request I'll give you the details. It sounded like a 9mm handgun, it didn't have the "boom" of a 40 or 45. I had a Glock 21 with me, facing toward the freeway they were on, they went from my 10 to my 2 and I would have had to lead them a bit to hit them with a 45 at that distance, with little likelyhood of actually hitting them (perps) in the process (bodywork/glass). Did that cover it all?

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Joe,

When William 81 rains on my body armor parade and tells me bullet proof vests are illegal in Illinois, maybe I'll send it your way. [:D]
    Or maybe you could buy it off of me.

Ps, I'm gonna round up those USA mags & try to send em out to you this week.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hehehe, thx KJ. I was half kidding if you didn't figure it out. Most likely you didn't get a very good look.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SilverBox, I knew you were kidding, I figured the explanation would help explain what happened. And no, I didn't get a good look, I was semi-seated behind the car next to the passenger and had just stood up when the shots started so I dropped back down behind the car again. I've had shots come closer to me, but it was the fact that they were so reckless as to fire on a crowd of motorists, law enforcement, and firefighters that really startled me. I don't think anything got hit, maybe the fire engine did, it was blocking a lot of the view in front of us. It covered the 12 o'clock area, so the shots started on one side and ended on the other side as it passed. It'd be interesting to know if anything hit the truck.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Drobs,
    What's the size and rating? I might be willing to make a deal.[;)] I would find it hard to believe that Illinois wouldn't let you at least keep from getting shot. But then again, with all them gun laws you guys got there really isn't any shootings anyway, right?[}:)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking I'm bidding on a size medium Level II. [B)]
    It's got to be legal, I always see flak jackets for sale around here.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you guys joking about the legality? Vests are legal in all states. Vests are legal for felons in all states but one (to my knowledge), of course that one is Kalifornia. There is talk and possibly proposed legislation to make vests illegal for felons at a federal level, but its not law yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Silver,

Will81, was questioning whether or not they are legal in Illinois for civilians. I have no idea. I remmember seeing a couple of Chicago Cops selling some used ones at a gun show a few years ago. Seemed questionable at the time.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ???

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Eh? Ok now I'm confused.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll do what I can, but I'll tell you one thing, BP just won't cut it here in Phx anymore. Gotta have some hardware around here nowadays. On Saturdays it's Wild West all over again, except its Cowboys vs Mexicans.[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    More like the Alamo, and them there Az boys is losing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's like a big prairie dog town, they reproduce quicker than you can get rid of 'em[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "What goes through their heads?" Hopefully a 180 grain Hydroshok hollow point! We'd have chased them til the wheels fell off.

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I'd like to have done that, but unfortunately, my truck (ugly old 85 S-10 Blazer with the little 2.8L V-6) was parked about 50yds down the ramp (50 yds closer to the bad guys although, so I'd have been heading the right direction at least[;)]). By the time I could have gotten my butt down to the car and after them they'd been long gone. I just had to piss and moan about it. As discussed ealier in the post, the real surprise was that one of the cops was standing behind me and his car was about 25 ft away. He just ducked and started sniveling about how that's happening a lot lately. I guess not doing anything about it is really preventing it from continuing.[xx(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    In Illinois Body Armor is legal with the following exception:

A person commits the offense of unlawful use of body armor when he knowingly wears body armor and is in possesion of a dangerous weapon in the commision or attempted commission of any offense.

Dangerous weapon is any firearm, stun gun, taser, bludgeon, black-jack, slungshot, sandbag, sand-club, metal knuckles, or billy.

First offense is Class A misdemeanor second offense is Class4 Felony.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bhale, I thought it was something like that.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geeze, it's not that bad even here in Boston.....oops, typed too soon, there is a newscast about how someone was shot in a neighboring town.
  • Options
    357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    Maybe it was some good samaritans and they were only firing at the illegals?
    Glad no AMERICANS were hurt.

I'm almost certain this little girl, and her family are illegal. (I took the pic, and I had it in a museum exhibit last year):
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1391946

Would you shoot her???? It's people like you who give kind hearted hunters/shooters etc. a bad name. [V]
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never heard of anything like this happening to a Phoenix Police officer without all hell breaking loose. As a 50 year member of the Phoenix Police Dept. FOP I intend to foreward your post to the membership to see if any of them can recall this incident. All the officers I know would never put up with someone popping off shots in their direction without taking action against the shooters. Since I live in the area right now I think I would have heard of something like this occurring. Please post the date and the approximate time it occurred and I will find out exactly what did occur.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.