In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annoying features on cars truckers hate

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Most times here when there is a thread about trucks it generally has complaints about trucks, trust me I have a complaint list a mile long about todays steering wheel holders! But let?s talk anout cars and some sneaky features they have installed in them and see how many here confess as to having them, I know some of you do!

1. Auto accelerate feature.

This feature kicks in anytime a truck attempts to pass a car, no matter how far beloe th speed limit it is traveling the car will take off as soon as the truck is aligned with its rear bumper.

2. Auto slow down feature.

This feature works with the accelerate feature, when the truck gives up and gets behind the car the car automaticaly slows down.

3. Turn signal accelerator feature.

In heavy traffic when a truck attempts to change lanes and applies the appropriate turn signal the car the truck is trying to merge in front of will accelerate.

4. Shade locator

On a sunny day cars will seek shade and often time finds it beside a truck and will slow down and match the trucks speed to stay in the shade.

5. Auto wind block locator

Pretty much the same as the shade locator, a car will find less cross wind resistance on a windy next to a truck and stay there.

6. Hulk mode

This feature kicks on mostly on entrance ramps. Even though the car cannot see to the left of the truck to notice some of the previously mentioned features working on other cars and the truck cannot change lanes cars will enable Hulk mode in order to force the truck to yelid to the car even if it means cutting off other traffic.

7. Hill mode

Trucks operate differently than cars and sometimes must accelerate to get a run on a hill, however this car feature will change lanes to the front of the truck and slow down forcing the truck to slow down on the hill.

8. Peek A Boo feature

This feature is sort of a drafting feature causing the car to drive 5? from the rear of the trucks trailer and center itself making sure the truck cannot see the car. This feature also works well with feature #3.

9. Fuel saver mode

On a two lane road where it is extremely difficult for a truck to pass this feature will kick in forcing the truck to save fuel and we all know how that works don?t we!

10. Chicken mode

This mode mostly works at intersections, if stopped at an intersection this feature will launch the car directly in front of the truck to cross the intersection ensuring the truck has to quickly apply its brakes.

11. Jump & turn mode

This feature works on mostly 2 lane roads but also works on 4 lane roads with intersections. When the car is approaching a left turn it will often times pass the truck then slow down or stop for the turn forcing the truck to do the same.

12. Open merge spot locator.

In heavy traffic a car attempting to merge will find the space a truck has left open and pass up other safe merge points in order to take the place in front of a truck, this feature is a high risk feature but well worth it since it may save the car 1 second in travel time.

13. Ready Set Go mode

At redlights this feature is a delay feature that helps make sure a truck cannot make it through a green light, mostly usefull in heavy traffic the car will creep to the green light then accelerate quickly leaving the truck struggling to get up to speed and make the light.

14. Gotcha! Feature

When approaching a still green light the car will accelerate and so will the truck behind it, as soon as the light goes yellow the car will quickly come to a stop, this feature helps weed out unhealthy truck drivers by causing blood pressure to rise creating anpissible heart attack.

15. Lane block

On multi lane highways this feature kicks in to block trucks from passing. It also sometimes causes a truck to take a restricted lane which attracts Revenue Rangers who help local economies by taking money from trucks that operate in restricted lanes.

That is all for now but remember this, playing games with trucks, even if they puss you off can have deadly consequences no matter who was right or wrong. A truck often times will weigh up to 80,000 pounds and needs room to operate and stop.

Yes, some trucks have ?Screw You? features and will test these car features but not all of them do. Retaliation against trucks is suicide, some trucks when in Road Rage Mode are extremely dangerous and provoking that mode can be deadly.

Share the road, put down the phone, pay full attention to your surroundings and use common sense.

Stay safe!

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Car drivers hate the trucks' auto cruise - Whenever a truck tries to pass another, as soon as the front bumpers line up, their speedometers are synced for a minimum of 5 miles.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cubslover
    Car drivers hate the trucks' auto cruise - Whenever a truck tries to pass another, as soon as the front bumpers line up, their speedometers are synced for a minimum of 5 miles.

That feature is mostly found in the super safe governed trucks owned by the mega fleets, we hate that feature too and it has caused many issues in truckstop parking lots, recently a truck driver was shot in the fuel islands because of this.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What in the heck is a steering wheel holder?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    What in the heck is a steering wheel holder?

Hard to put it into type!

When I started driving an old driver told me ?if you wanna be a cowboy you gotta learn how to ride the horse first?

A steering wheel holder hasn?t learned to ride that horse yet, has minimal skills, points the truck down the road and doesn?t care what others are doing. He will drive in the middle lane under the speed limit and not move, he will change lanes without judging the speed of traffic behind him, he is scared in bad weather and doesn?t know how to handle the truck, he needs a truck that does things for him, he follows a GPS blindly and can?t read a map, he can?t go anywhere without his stupid looking wanna be NASA headset on amd is guilty of most of the things car drivers hate about truckers and real truckers don?t like him either!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah. I get it. I was thinking some kind of an inanimate feature on a steering wheel that holds something (a really dumb idea) but you meant an incapable creature that holds the steering wheel. (Also a really dumb idea.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of those features are real irritating to other car drivers as well. [:(!]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Im not a truck driver nut dont you love the guy that decides he needs to be in your lane on an icy road. And pulls in about 1 1/2 car lengths in front of you.I guess he doesnt realize he only needs to lose traction for a second and he will ne a hood ornament.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Im not a truck driver nut dont you love the guy that decides he needs to be in your lane on an icy road. And pulls in about 1 1/2 car lengths in front of you.I guess he doesnt realize he only needs to lose traction for a second and he will ne a hood ornament.

Funny you mention that. About a week ago there was a small icestorm in parts of Montana. I woke up around 2am and the roads were ice, RT 212.

Took off and everything was fine, no traffic and I was running about 45-50MPH. Got to a slight downhill and the truck started going faster, gently got on the brakes and started sliding, got it straight and let it go and the damn truck hit almost 75MPH.

If a car had pulled out in front of me it would have been a very bad day. One of the few times a truck got the better of me but I had no other options. On the big hills I was ok but that hill was sneaky, I had to stop a little ways up the road and catch my breath but the rest of the ride went fine.

You gotta not panic and overreact.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]quote:Originally posted by Cubslover
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck

That feature is mostly found in the super safe governed trucks owned by the mega fleets, we hate that feature too and it has caused many issues in truckstop parking lots, recently a truck driver was shot in the fuel islands because of this.

Took one right in the fuel islands?
    That must have hurt.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Anyone who has been shot in the fuel islands knows how nasty that wound can be.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    my favorite. when your backing up and a car comes out of no where and drives directly behind you. ive actually had them drive behind me and park while I was backing up. get out and go into the store. id have to sit there and wait for them to get the lottery tickets and come back out. the whole time wishing I could just keep backing up and just shove them out of the way.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I hate governed trucks. Especially when they decide to pass another governed truck and it takes them 15 miles to do it![:(!][:D]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    [truck driver was shot in the fuel islands because of this.[/b]

That must have hurt.

BSR had me looking at my globe trying to find the Fuel Islands [}:)].......South Pacific and Caribbean [:D] [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

That must have hurt.

BSR had me looking at my globe trying to find the Fuel Islands [}:)].......South Pacific and Caribbean [:D] [;)]

You * know what I meant!!

Actually he was shot after an incident at the pumps

http://www.wlwt.com/article/person-shoots-self-at-kentucky-truck-stop/13443080
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 204targetman
    my favorite. when your backing up and a car comes out of no where and drives directly behind you. ive actually had them drive behind me and park while I was backing up. get out and go into the store. id have to sit there and wait for them to get the lottery tickets and come back out. the whole time wishing I could just keep backing up and just shove them out of the way.

Those are my favorites too. I just back up about 3 inches from them so they can't get out, set the brakes, and have a smoke or start eating my lunch.
    When they get pissed because I won't move, I tell them I can't, Federal law, mandatory 30min break. Then show them my E-Log where it shows how many minutes are left, that I have to be off before I can move the truck again.
    The ones that pull that maneuver and whip into a loading dock that I'm already backing into, have a really bad day. That's where my truck suddenly dies, and won't start again. At least until I'm certain they'll be late to where ever it was, that they were in such a rude hurry to get to.[:)]
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

That must have hurt.

You * know what I meant!!

Actually he was shot after an incident at the pumps

http://www.wlwt.com/article/person-shoots-self-at-kentucky-truck-stop/13443080

So the incident was shot first?