In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is the .44 special

riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
a pretty potent round? I know pretty much any round is better than no round at all

thinking about getting one

44 special better than 38 special/ 40 cal.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    44 S&W special muzzel energy of around 500 ft. lbs.
    38 spl around 400.
    44 rem mag around 1,600
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    buy a .44 Magnum and shoot the .44 Spcl., that way, IF you ever need more power, it is in your hand with the .44 Mag. loads.

just my OPINION !
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 44 Special is a great cartridge but factory ammo is underpowered due to older and weaker guns out there. This ammo is also quite expensive so it's one of those calibers that demands reloading for economy and performance.

The 38 pushes bullets in the 158 range to 800-1,000 FPS in most cases. The 44 moves a 240 at the same velocity. Which do you think hits harder? For personal defense in the 44 Special a 200 JHP at 1,000 FPS is mild in recoil and has no trouble getting the job done.

I am rather partial to the 44 Special.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    38 spl around 400.
    44 rem mag around 1,600

http://www.ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php
    http://waterguy.us/handgun.htm
  • Options
    RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know much about the .44 special but after reading this I would have to say go with a .45acp. A .44special=.429 200gr @1000fps V.S .45acp= .451 200gr @900fps. Or buy the 44mag.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    38 spl around 400.
    44 rem mag around 1,600

http://www.ballistics101.com/44_magnum.php
    http://waterguy.us/handgun.htm

I screwed uo the 44 mag. Should be around 1,000. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just read almost anything by Skeeter Skelton. He was a far more practical shooter than Saint Elmer, IMO but Skeeter knew that even moderate .44 Special loads will do about anything that a handgun ought to be used for.

It's a superb defense round (it's what I carry), a great hunting round, a noted accuracy round, and can be handloaded to any power level you choose up to just shy of the .44 Mag. In a modern revolver, you can load bullets from 180 to 300 grains, and from 400 to 1200 fps. If that doesn't cover what you need done - you need some other kind of gun altogether.

One of the best factory loads today is the Federal Champion 210 HP lead bullet. I can consistently hit football-sized targets at 100 yards offhand with it, and it smacks them hard. That or the slightly less powerful Winchester 210 Silvertip are my choices for defense. Others like the Hornady 180 JHP, but it shoots low in my fixed-sight carry gun.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I use my .44 for dispatching wounded pigs. Typical scenario, a two hundred pounder is wounded and digs itself into a six foot high pile of Blackberry thicket. Maybe you can get a clear shot maybe you can't. Once had a buddy fire his rifle into a pig in this situation, the bullet hit a rock (behind the pig) and I was digging fragments out of my leg. Used to use a 9MM, didn't take me long to figure out it took most of a clip to get the job done and after the first shot the pig was usually trying to head for the hills. Another bad side to the 9MM was the bullet hole usually closed back up (pigs do that) and didn't leave much of a blood trail.
    Next I tried a .357 magnum, hit harder than the 9MM. Way to often the .357 went all the way through, wasted energy. The whole animal kind of shakes, kind of a ripple. But it really doesn't have that hammer affect you'd expect, not like the .44 special.
    IMO .44 mag is a hand cannon and for me uncomfortable to shoot, second shot takes way too long. Over penetration is always a factor.
    .44 special, either silver tips or better yet gold tips, seems to work well. Bullet rarely penetrates more than foot, even from six foot ranges. Expands to around 5/8's of an inch. Gets the job done. Opens up a good wound channel. Fairly quick second shot, tends to dump all if it's energy quickly after a hit. You can likely get the same results with a .45 ACP or even a .45 ACP wheel gun.
    I can carry my Bulldog with me, my slug gun is often back in the truck (you can only carry so much into a high seat). I prefer the slug gun for finishing wounded pigs, big, relatively slow moving handgun round as a second choice.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    buy a .44 Magnum and shoot the .44 Spcl., that way, IF you ever need more power, it is in your hand with the .44 Mag. loads.

just my OPINION !

+1
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc

I am rather partial to the 44 Special.

standard.jpg

That one made me drool a little bit.

I have a Smith 296, 18 oz. of big-bore, that is my favorite wheelgun until somebody makes one in .45 ACP. It's the only handgun caliber I own that I don't reload for, since I don't compete with it and don't need a lot of practice for what I have it for.

It's loaded with Gold-Dots for around-the-house use and some of the frightfully expensive Buffalo Bore 255s for off-road. I haven't bothered to clock them (just shooting them off-hand is brutal) but BB advertises close to 1,000 fps out of the short barrel of a Smith 396.

Figger that'll put a hole in a critter.

296RH.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here are my options for sell locally

296 2 1/2"

696 3"

I have a 629 so guess i dont need these
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike

296 2 1/2"

696 3"

I dunno, 696s are pretty sweet...
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't need .44 Mag power(I don't as I don't live in Grizzly country and have a .41 mag if I need a magnum) the .44 Special is more than enough. I carry this .44 Special Bisley in the woods all the time. In this gun I can carry super light .44 Russians or go all the way up to 500+ ftlbs Buffalo Bore or handloads if I need it with a lot less recoil than the .44 Mag--I can shoot .44 Specials all day without stinging my hands Picture035.jpg

The .44 Special & .44 Russian are very accurate cartridges. But since you already have a 629 you don't need to go buy one---unless you specifically want a new gun or your 629 is a long barrel version and you are looking for a defense gun. If you want some real fun or are trying to teach new shooters the fun of handguns you cannot beat running some .44 Russians or Specials through your 629[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

296 2 1/2"

696 3"

Well okay then.

If you don't mind, what price range were those Specials advertised at?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is what he is selling Not bad prices but not that great

27-2 6" nickle and blue both $1275 or $680 each (presentation cases included)

25-2 6 1/2" blue 45 acp $675 no box

296 2 1/2" 44 spl $575 no box

696 3" 44 spl $725 no box

36 blue or nickle sq bt $375 each no box

19-3 6" nickle $575 (LNIB)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is what he is selling Not bad prices but not that great

27-2 6" nickle and blue both $1275 or $680 each (presentation cases included)

25-2 6 1/2" blue 45 acp $675 no box

296 2 1/2" 44 spl $575 no box

696 3" 44 spl $725 no box

36 blue or nickle sq bt $375 each no box

19-3 6" nickle $575 (LNIB)

Thanks, those prices are a little better than what you usually see here on GB, and you'd save on the shipping. I was mainly curious about the 296, since you hardly ever see them for sale. Dunno why the 696s are usually more expensive, what with the size and weight you might as well carry a .44 mag. With the 296, a jacket pocket is all you need.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 44 Special will outshine the 45 ACP by a tad.

Yes, the 44 Magnum is more powerful than the 44 Special. Not what was being asked.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes the 44 is special .....got many
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:That or the slightly less powerful Winchester 210 Silvertip are my choices for defense.
    I carried a Charter Arms DAO .44spcl Bulldog for years, and tested all kinds of loads. The Silvertip isn't the most accurate, but from a snubby at threat range, anything you hit, and anywhere you hit it, it's not going to get back up.