In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I appreciate the simplicity of the Mossberg 500.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
I'm not a shotgun guy. A buddy pointed out that while I own a lot of guns, I only have a couple shotguns and none are high end. That's true. I only have three shotguns and all are basic working guns, nothing fancy.

I always thought the 500 was a good deal. Interchangeable barrels and choke tubes, top tang safety, 3" chambers all at a bargain price. I bought one with an 18" barrel about 25 years ago. Then I bought a 20" 8 shot 500 with rifle sights (retired from an armored car company) and traded the 18" barrel to a friend for his 28" barrel. Then he wanted to trade his fancy checkered stock for mine with plain wood. So we completely changed my defensive shotgun into the hunting model and he went the other way. I guess we should have just swapped the guns now that I think about it.

I looked for a 20" vent rib barrel but settled for a 24" when the 20s went out of production and were impossible to find. Later I found a used one so I have both.

Here's the hunting version with the short barrel.

standard.jpg

Here's the 20" defense model. Definitely old school but looks open for business.

standard.jpg
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you, Doc! Love my 500! The Rem 870 gets a lot more attention, but I always thought the Moss 500 was a smoother action.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Mossbergs are a hard gun to beat for the money. Looks like you got yourself covered there, Doc!
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Nice set up Doc..
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 28" barrel. When my dad gave me that gun, it was taller then me! [:D]

Jon
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Could not decide between and 870 and a 500 so I now have both.[:D]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100 %.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    I love my Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 28" barrel. When my dad gave me that gun, it was taller then me! [:D]

Jon

I have a 835 that is still taller than me.[8D]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited November -1
    Have had both. Both function great. Did not like the twin action bars when re-assly the 500. Prefer the 870's.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Jon

Dang! That one set up for goose hunting?

Jon
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg 535 turkey gun. For the money, you cant beat it. Just a really good gun. And it wont break the bank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Jon

Dang! That one set up for goose hunting?

Jon

Yep I touch them then pull the trigger.[:D]
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc the second gun did you replace the factory stock ? I want to ditch the plastic furniture on my persuader for nice custom walnut but cant find anything except Boyds and would like to have more choices before I buy a set.
    Nice photos !
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500 is a great gun for the money. a lot of bang for the buck and my favorite.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sold mine for 250 bucks to go buy a Marlin 35 Remington for my son. Kick myself every time I think about that move. I have a bunch of 870 wingmasters, but still miss the ol Mossberg. Oakie

Doc, what do you use for a back drop to take pictures of your guns????? I really like it. Oakie
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OHD- Back when these were not so old stocks would interchange readily between 500s. Like I said, mine started as the defense model but I swapped the wood from my buddy's hunting model. I don't know about later production guns. I figure with as many of these that there are out there you should be able to find an original stock set to replace the plastic.

O- A pale blue piece of cloth I got at Walmart for about $8. Draped over a cabinet the butt rests on a box under the cloth and I shoot from across the room (like 10-12' away) to eliminate the distortion you get when shooting too close. I have played with remote lighting but these were taken using just the on camera flash and I think they turned out OK.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc the problem with original wood stocks is that the fore grip is for the 6 3/4 tube and on the newer persuader the tube is 7 5/8 so I have to look for an after market set, I wouldn't mind spending a little $$ if I could find a fancy walnut set.
    The Boyd's xx claro walnut is nice, I wonder why not more fancy wood stocks available for the 500 being such a popular gun.

PS great tip for taking photos !!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree I really like my 870" but if a Mossberg shows up on the good deal side it will come home. I have had several in the past just a good honest working gun,

I have one right now its a 16 ga.
    I bought it for my dad ( he wanted a 16 ga ) as a Christmas present ( well I was 16 so my mom had to sign for it ) when he passed in 2000 , I received it back . I think it was 59.00 or 69.00 new this was in 1972 /73 time frame from Woolworth the old department store .
    one of the guns with way more sentimental value to me than it wil ever be worth . I do not even have any 16 ga shells [:I][B)]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know plenty of guys that love their Mossbergs and Remington 870's, and I say good for you. If you like them, that's fine. I've had all of them and have shot all of them.......
    I prefer a Browning BPS or a an Ithaca Model 37. Money being the same, an old Model 12 or'97 Winchester can be bought too.[;)]
    Just my opinion. I'm happy you like your guns.[:D]