In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Piano Help Please

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
My son told me this afternoon that there is a Kurtzman babygrand available in an estate sale here in town. Anyone familiar w/ this brand made in Buffalo? Am I correct that the size of this type of piano is not measurement of it's height but the fore/aft measurement of the soundboard. Any idea where I find a s/n? Perhaps on the soundboard?

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about that brand, but on my baby grand, the serial number is towards the right hand side (if you are playing the piano) underneath the music stand on the sound board area. I can post a pic if you need me to.

As for size, it's about 4.5 feet. Are you moving it yourself? I can describe the method that my piano mover used but I make no guarantees that it will be as easy as he made it look.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    You should find a serial number on the soundboard. Usually not hard to spot. When I was in high school I worked as a piano mover and all it really takes is 2 healthy men, a dolly, and some appliance straps. A truck helps as well.[:)] When I say "dolly" I am not referring to a hand truck but a flat cart with 4 heavy duty castors.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    You should find a serial number on the soundboard. Usually not hard to spot. When I was in high school I worked as a piano mover and all it really takes is 2 healthy men, a dolly, and some appliance straps. A truck helps as well.[:)] When I say "dolly" I am not referring to a hand truck but a flat cart with 4 heavy duty castors.

This is a baby grand, not an upright. he needs to remove the legs and pedals as well as a few other things that would flop.
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I'd have it checked out by a piano tuner before I thought about buying it or moving it. Twice I moved Pianos that turned out to be really expensive door stops. Some can't be tuned without a major overhaul, which more often than not costs more than the Piano is worth.
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

This is a baby grand, not an upright. he needs to remove the legs and pedals as well as a few other things that would flop.

You are correct. I should have mentioned that as well. The ones I hated the most were player pianos. They seemed to be the heaviest.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully the serial number hasn't been filed off, I've seen a lot of pianos used in cartoon crime incidents.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allan & I will go to see it Thursday. Thanks for the replies guys. I may have more questions Friday.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a 100 year old Knabe Grand Piano and I would not even think of moving it Myself.

The serial Number on Ours is under the Key Board.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MudderChuck
    I'd have it checked out by a piano tuner before I thought about buying it or moving it. Twice I moved Pianos that turned out to be really expensive door stops. Some can't be tuned without a major overhaul, which more often than not costs more than the Piano is worth.

+1
    I see freebie pianos on C-list occasionally, they invariably need tuned, or have wood rot.

Allen
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    Hopefully the serial number hasn't been filed off, I've seen a lot of pianos used in cartoon crime incidents.

[:D]
    I have nothing to add! I agree with having a piano tuner check it out before you buy!