In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini-14 serial #'s

toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in General Discussion
Hopefully Mark Christian or somewone of equivalent knowledge will read this. My Mini-14 has a 181 XXXXX serial number. Years ago, I heard the rifles produced back then retained more value than recent models. Is this true and/or are there significant differences (e.g., the barrel steel, bolt, etc. ) between the 181 and new models? My mini is the only one I have ever shot so my knowledge of them, beyond cursiory looks in a gun shop, since the 70's is basically nil.

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge the 181 is built the same as all other mini 14 except for the ranch rifle. The 181 series did come with a set of wooden fore hand guards the 182 and later came with oversized plastic. Does this help? [8D]

Greg
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 181 series is the same as the 186 series etc.It actually may be worth less due to the age of the Rifle.Its still a great sporting gun,and alot of fun to shoot.BTW I dont think I have the Knowledge you ask for.LOL Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.Happy Holiday's

Safe Shooting !

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    toocarz, you are way too kind! There are plenty of guys on this board who are real Ruger experts. I recall that prior to 1982 the Mini had a conventional wooden hand gaurd (mentioned by gap 1916) and the actuator sliding in an exposed channel on the right side of the fore-end. This was some what dangerous and Ruger developed the fiberglass hand gaurd/actuator cover to solve this problem. This took place at the same time the Ranch Rifle was introduced so there "should" be no Ranch Rifles with the older style hand gaurds. At the same time I believe that the bolt stop was modified to double as the ejector and this eliminated the complicated spring-loaded ejector which was used previously. There may well have been other changes but I am NOT a Ruger expert by a long shot! As Rugster mentions the older rifles without the updates are probably LESS disireable than the new Ruger's with the imporovements. On the other hand, a NEW IN THE BOX example of the older Mini-14 would no doubt have value to Ruger collectors and would bring a premium at sale. I hope this helps you.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies....all very helpful and appreciated.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least you dodged the worst bullet. The 180 series must be avoided at all costs. The stocks are not inter-changeable & are irreplacable.
    The bolt (or parts thereof) are prone to breakage & cannot be replaced. The gun may well be worth more for parts than whole.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Gruntled (is there a "Dis" missing?) I have even read that the 180 series is so recognized to be a defective design that you can't even buy replacement parts for it such as an ejector. Instead Ruger will just offer you some amount of money (seems like it was between 100-200 dollars) and want to buy the gun to get it out of circulation. That was some time ago that I read that and of course I ran to my gun safe to check my guns and thankfully my Ruger mini 14 was a 181 series.

When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was disgruntled BEFORE I retired from the Post Office. The extractor is one of the parts that break regularly & cannot be replaced. I had one that someone had cut off the stock & added on a folding shotgun stock. When the Kalifornia law was about to change is when I found that I could not get a new stock & then began to find out about the other problems. I took it to a gun show in Las Vegas & sold it to a dealer there.
    I have often heard the story about Ruger buying them up but cannot confirm it.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    There are those who are under the misimpression that early Mini-14s are worth more because they are "preban". That simply isn't true. Contrary to what many people think, it's illegal to take an early Mini-14 and add a folding stock, flash hider, etc. Of course, people continue to believe what they will. It isn't uncommon to see these early examples advertized as "preban".

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the additional comments....after checking the closed auctions, I beginning to think that the three 20-round Ruger factory mags I have are worth more than the rifle itself!