In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opinions - Felon seeking a pardon

landjetlandjet Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
I was blown out of the water yesterday when a good friend of 8 years stopped by and handed me a paper. It was a Character Affidavit as part of his application for a Federal Pardon. Seems some 10 years ago, he pled guilty to theft from interstate shipment, while no jail time - still a felony. Now he is seeking a pardon for whatever reason. I never knew he was a felon; but then again, I never asked.

It got me to thinking how I, and probably a lot of people, write off people as felons, or whatever other category we can put them in. I wonder if I had known, would we still be the friends we are now... probably not.

Anyway, point being, I plan on returning a favorable affidavit based on the person I have known, not the person labeled before I knew him. I was just wondering opinions about a pardon in general as they apply to firearms as it seems I am having to re-think some of my previous beliefs.

Besides, it's a cold morning and what better a way to get the blood pumping than mixing politics and guns... [:p]

Comments

• Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Landjet,

There are some folks who are felons, I believe will never be rehabilitated, and will continue to offend no matter how many times they "repay" their debt to society; this group begins and ends with CHILD MOLESTERS.

Your friend, by his own admission is NOT one of those, so I say, based upon YOUR experience and interaction with him, respond as you see fit. Almost everyone (except those on my list above) deserve a second chance in life. We all make mistakes.

NSDQ!

RISK: A ship in the harbor is safe.... but that's not what ships are made for.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Given a functioning society...unlike our own...A man who paid his debt to society would be released as a free man..with all the rights and priviliges thereof.

The vicious criminals,violent rapists and child molesters would be executed..or stay in hard time forever..breaking rocks.

The guy you mentioned paid no debt to society..( non-functioning society,again..) but seems to have outgrown his criminality...maybe...

Wonder how many of the folks living today remember the phrase.."paid his debt to society.." and what it is supposed to mean....?

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    You know the guy, we don't. You should be honest and fill that paper out accordingly.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I had to have assistant coaches for softball. The one stipulation was that they not be a convicted felon. I ended up not having any assistants because everyone I know that was willing is/was a felon. Never knew about most of them.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Night Stalker hit it right on the head. The dude's not a child molestor nor is he a serial rapist. I see no problem with helping him out in this matter.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that was stupid in his youth like most of us were. His mistake, getting caught with a large ammount of marijuana (over an ounce) and cash. In the eyes of the law he was a drug kingpin practicly. The guy has been an upstanding citizen for as long as I've known him which is going on 20 yrs. He stayed out of trouble after that incident. He has no rights and it's a matter of public record. A couple years ago he started a business raising Cane Corso dogs. Some people here in town objected and said he was raising them to fight. His drug conviction came out in the arguments against him. This guy is as upstanding a citizen as anyone I know. Maybe more upstanding than those that are still fighting him. If he came to me and asked me to sign for him to get a pardon, I'd sign in a heartbeat. If you have a good feeling about this guy sign.

As for the fighting dogs. He's sold 5 of them to the Marines. So I guess you could call them fighting dogs, but not in the ring.

Woods

It's better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Landjet, you know the guy, do as you think right by him as you now know him.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    From what you said, I would have no problem with it.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Funny you posted about this subject because our Governor is leaveing office this year and as usual when they leave office they issue some pardons to mostly people who have committed a state felony, done their time, and are truly remorsful for doing their crime. There was one this time from an elderly gentleman who in his young roudy days stole a calf. He did his time and never complained a bit about not being able to vote or own guns. He was truly sorry for his crime and even paid the man for the calf after he did his time even though he was not told to by the courts. He wanted a pardon for one reason, so he could go and teach his grandchildren to rabbit hunt. Seems one or more of his grandchildren had an interest in rabbit hunting but he could not teach them being he could not own or be in possession of a gun. I believe he did receive his pardon. He had letters from everyone in his small town including the minister at his church, district & circut judges, county officials, county attorney, and the man whose calf he stole many years ago! Now people like that do deserve a second chance.

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel that if a person is convicted for a non violent felony, after he pays his dept to society, His rights should be restored 100%.
    There should not be any chance whatsoever of getting them restored
    afterword if they ever strike a second time.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"