In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Forgemonkey or any blacksmith ANVIL????

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
Can I use a railroad track for an anvil to make knives???? My dad has a huge chunk of track I can have. If not I will look at buying one. They run 750 and up. How heavy of an anvil do I need. I found one that weighs 203# with a stand in almost new condition for 500. I know that is a great price, and the guy is willing to trade for some stuff I want to get rid of. Getting back to the track, can i use that or not, as a beginner and I also need advice on building my own kiln or forge. Any help would be appreciated. Oakie

Comments

• Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made my living with one for more than 30 years, but what I don't know about knifemaking would load a freight train.
    I would think the big thing you would need for knifemaking is a big, flat face on your anvil, so I'm seeing problems with the RR iron.
    Unless there is something terribly wrong with the 203# anvil, it would be a big mistake to let it get away.
    maybe you can think on this till Bill gets here.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say is the piece of RR track I have is used just for shaping small items. If I get carried away with the hammer it will make dents in the rail.

They are not very hard, when I went to flatten a machine screw that was cold it left thread marks on the rail.

I have no idea how it would work for a knife.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From looking a anvils on Ebarf they have really went up in price just recently.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Like this one I made

[img][/img]ANVIL1.jpgThis was a section of track off Southern Rail road it was work hardened from rail cars over time . I machined it on a horizontal mill in a adult night class at high school tech school during the day I have another one Not finished as good does not have Hardy hole and punches I have used for 30 + years never chipped it weight on pictured one 38 Pounds
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you plan on using rail to make a anvil, alot of the newer rail is hear hardened now and will take the abuse.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Depending on the rail, carbon content can be anywhere from 40 to 85 points. On the higher carbon contents, I'd be wary of workhardening the steel by hammering and shards flying off.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can build a forge out of an old brake drum to get started. Lots of information on the net and you tube. Good luck. Jay
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Everyone is missing the point re RR track. Whether it's hard or soft is a moot point.

Proper and correct 'forging' is done with yellow hot steel, the proper convex 'face' on your forging hammer(s) and the position of the steel on the anvil 'bed',,,,,,,the face of your hammer should never forcefully contact the bed of the anvil. Hammer control is paramount in blacksmithing.

Two things can send a 'blacksmith' to hell,,,,,,,,,hammering on cold steel and not charging enough,,,,,,,[:D]

+1000
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first wife somehow ended up with my 100 year old Trenton anvil in perfect shape!![:(!][}:)][V]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone is missing the point re RR track. Whether it's hard or soft is a moot point.

Proper and correct 'forging' is done with yellow hot steel, the proper convex 'face' on your forging hammer(s) and the position of the steel on the anvil 'bed',,,,,,,the face of your hammer should never forcefully contact the bed of the anvil. Hammer control is paramount in blacksmithing.

Two things can send a 'blacksmith' to hell,,,,,,,,,hammering on cold steel and not charging enough,,,,,,,[:D]

Bad News Forgemonkey, you did not charge me near enough to keep you from getting extra warm. I suppose you are safe because of your angelic countenance.[^][}:)]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

+1000

+1000000000000000000000000000000000
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old anvil provably over 100 years old it sounds like a church bell when hammered, if you buy an anvil beware of the new china made ones they are junk.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forge, I forget the name he told me. He is a blacksmith. I will call him back. It has a stand and here is the picture. He did say it weighed 203 pounds though, I do remember that. Oakie PS, That was the weight without the stand. Forgot to add that.

anvil.jpg
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    For knifemaking you can make a post anvil. Many knife and swordsmiths use these exclusively. Photo stolen from the net:

IMG_0056-3.jpg