In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Worlds smallest running V8

lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Enjoy

This is almost beyond comprehension. Unbelievable. This man has talents bordering on the supernatural. This goes beyond what most of us can only dream about. And he did it all on a Bridgeport milling machine. Surreal.
After viewing all of the pictures, be sure to catch both of the film clips of it actually running.

Also look at some of the other clip of air driven engines --

http://www.moyermade.com/chevyV8.html

Lee

Comments

• glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    I used to live next door to a guy back in the UK whose was building miniature engines about that sze and they all ran.
  • mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Incredible! Thats talent![:0]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    We had an exhibit here that had several hundred miniaturized aircraft engines of similar size (and some even smaller). They all ran too. One guy built a 16 cylinder radial engine that was about 5-6" across. The detail was beyond imagination.

They were all scale identical replicas except for one thing. I read that in any miniature engine the only thing that is not perfectly to scale is the venturi jets in the carburetor. Because of the venturi principle there is a minimum size after which they won't work (or something like that).

Yep! The smaller the engine, the [relative] larger the fuel-air droplets will become. There comes a point when downsizing when you will have to depart from scale, and go with the "model airplane" type parts. Atoms are atoms. Best, Joe
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHERE in the name of the Wide World of Sports do you find SPARKPLUGS that will fit that???
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    that's really something!
    if the horse power is to scale it would make about 23HP!
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Runs like a chevy too [:D]
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    This guy has to be a surgeon or dentist, if not, he is missing the boat. NASA has to have a place for him too. The Japanese would be interested too. The medical tool industry too.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    WHERE in the name of the Wide World of Sports do you find SPARKPLUGS that will fit that???

I was wondering the same thing
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    More likely than not the guy made his own plugs: steel shells turned on a lathe, ceramic insulators and some fine wire connected to a center electrode would spark. I can't say I care much for the sound; I think he needs a tiny set of glasspacks!
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    At the local model shows, we have a guy who runs a 1/5 scale I Believe. This thing even has a blower on it.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Boy Toys use to carry very small running engines built by Conley Precision engines.

I have not checked them out in a few years. But they use to sell Harley Davidson V Twin Flat, Knuckle and Pan heads, Ford V8 Flat heads, Hemi's, V8 Chevy's, V10 Dodge Viper and some type of V12 boat engine I believe was Ofenhuser.

They were all 1/8 to 1/4 scale and ran off of pump gas. The draw back was the cheapest engine that they sold would cost you at least $5000.00.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Lee-Dan do you live in S.C. ? I have a friend that knows the guy that I think made that engine.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love it! [:p] However, it doesn't sound like any 365hp 327 I've ever heard!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry ----
    I live in Minnesota --
    Lee
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    There is also a Swiss man who has built a running scale copy of the original Porsche Carrera engine (real Carreras are 4 cylinder and have 4 cams!)

The full size one is an engineering marvel, the miniature just increases it
  • woodmaster9woodmaster9 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the old guys that do can this sort of work. One of my Dad's employees, a machinist, was like that. If you asked him, "Bill, do you think you can make one of these?", he'd say, "Somebody made that one didn't they?"

He was a hoot! Very talented and could make anything on a lathe or mill.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Damn, that is coooool.

NS