In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Boker SwitchBlade AK-74 Knife

HiPointPunkHiPointPunk Member Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
I was woundering if anybody here has one or has used a boker before?

http://groups.msn.com/HiPointParlor
Check out Atlantic Firearms for AR-15's and AK-47's
@ http://www.atlanticfirearms.com

Comments

• Options
    SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, Im very into knives as well as guns and all I have to say for Boker is that their knives are okay. Theyre not great but there not complete crap. If you want a high grade knive stick to Benchmade, Microtech, Masters of Defense, Spyderco, Al Mar, etc and so on.

gren_ani.gif

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I own several dozen of automatics including about 10 Boker Top Locks and Top Lock II automatic knives and the quality for the price is good (about as good as Benchmade), although there is simply no way to compare them with Masters of Defense and Microtech. The prices involved in purchasing the upper grade of automatics is considerably higher than most of the other brands and some Bokers are made in Argentina and Taiwan to keep their prices well under the cost of the German made Boker examples.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, bokers are very over rated. they're popular because they're a mainstream german knife. stick with the ones silentknight listed and you can't go wrong. and remember that the boker magnum automatic is not a german knife, it's a contracted knife from taiwan. i must admit, for the price it is a pretty decent knife. and also pro-tech makes some pretty nice knives that can be found cheaper than microtechs (michrotechs[:p][:p][:p])

i forgeot to mention the kalashnikov 74 is also a taiwan made knife, by the same company who made the magnums. for 25 bucks, it's not a bad knife, but remember, you get what you pay for
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know Mark C. Benchmades are pretty high quality in my opinion and they have a military contract with their 9050 model. Bokers are nice but im not sure if theyre on Benchmades level.....okay im ready let me have it.[:)]

gren_ani.gif

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got some AUTO Bokers and benchmade. My opinion is that benchmade of a higher quality knife. I like the Bokers,(not the cheaply made items) or guess I would not have bought them.

Thought about getting a Microtech,,, but,, a VERY expensive knife. Too rich for my blood but then again, I'm not a knife collector. Look, touch, feel, think about getting one everytime I go to a gun show.

1makoranimgif.gif

Microtech link: http://nicnac.net/
    BTW: I thank this site for the neat gif file.
    Benchmade factory is in Oregon a great state.

Other freedoms are IN COURT NOW and under attack. Click to read latest report.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silent Knight, I have a couple of AL Mar autos, and I think they are crap for what they cost. I like Micro's but they are so damn expensive.
    Jess
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Droptop and Mooseyard, what Microtech were yall looking at buying?

gren_ani.gif

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Microtech shown is the best brand of auto front opener I've seen,, but,, I have not been to a show in,, hummmmm, 2 years?

The $300+ puts me off,, plus,, this is just me,, I don't like pushing the "point" of the knife on a surface to retract the blade,, plus,, it is a little diferent,, "finicky" comes to mind,, but that is not the correct word. Reminds me of a HK squeeze cocker vrs. manual slide.

A friends son was calf roping. Carrys a knife to "quickly" cut the rope should there be a problem. Seems someone fell while opening a "folder" and sliced his fingers (ouch). Looked at Microtech but decided a belt sheath knife was best, no "folders".

• Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never seen a microtech you had to push the blade into anything to close, there's usually a lanyard you pull back to retract it. maybe the guy showing it to you didn't know his knives, or maybe this is a knife i haven't dealt with. i'd never buy a knife i'd have to do that to. cody
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:never seen a microtech you had to push the blade into anything to close, there's usually a lanyard you pull back to retract it.

You are correct, recommended to use the grips on the side. My apology.

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Droptop, the new micros OTF's are push-button open AND push button closed. They are pretty awesome. When I was at the Shot Show they demonstrated it to me. THat blade would come flying out the front, but if you put a business card or something in the way of the blade travel, it would stop dead. I thought for sure it would slice right through that business card, but it didn't. If you can afford one I would get one. I only can sell to LE in the area, and I have a hard time getting them to buy a $140 Benchmade, much less a $400 Micro.
    Jess
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Boker. Great German knife, imported to the States. I have a four blade, bone handle, knife. It has great steel, keeps an edge well, etc.

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I still prefer the Microtech HALO III OTF. Push the button, fire the blade, push the button again and then retract the blade by pulling back the cocking device at the bottom of the knife's handle. While I agree that this is slower than a push of the button to automatically retract the blade, I feel that the old method makes for a less complicated knife mechanisim and offers better reliability. The entire purpose of an automatic knife it to ge the blade OUT fast! Retracting the blade quickly is not an issue for me. I agree with Mr. Moose that the Microtechs and other high end automatics are a tough sell due to their high prices, but there are always folks who will demand the best and have no issues about costs just so long as the feel thay have gotten there monies worth.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    The MICROTECH is a great knife, but awfully "pricey". I have two BENCHMADES which were issued to me for OEF (Afghanistan), and OIF (Iraq). Both of those knives are still with me and still carry a great edge.

I've seen a couple of guys carry the BOKER, but have never really heard them speak out for or against the knife. I am unsure of their experience with the knife during sustained operations.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NightStalker, what model of Benchmade were you issued?

gren_ani.gif

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    The one I am holding right now is a MODEL 9050, and it has 154CM on the blade. I'll post a pic later.