In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

coyote's how to draw them in?

kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in General Discussion
i live in a rural twp in mid michigan...we are having a big increase in the sightings and sounds of coyotes...my neighbor puts out corn for deer and phesants to chow on.....what would work on getting the coytes in closer?..we are over run with rabbits and i just want to invite them in for a free lunch.

Comments

• bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kris: you said that you were overrun with rabbits? If you are, the coyotes probably wont be interested in anything that you can put out for them. The fact is that there is an ample food supply already there for them. This is the time of year that coyotes dont eat as they would in the fall and winter.

You might get some to come to a hand call or tape of a injured rabbit, etc. But it will only be out of intrest, instead of hunger.

Young coyotes are easier to call than the old seasoned ones "PHD" educated. If one has been suckered in and wasnt taken, he is a hard sell on any kind of call. If you do call, dont give up. You wont call them in every time, reason; not hungry, uninterested, etc. In my experiance you might get one to come to you 1 in 5 times, so you have to keep at it. Sometimes they are right there in under a minute staring at you within 10 feet wondering "damn thats a big rabbit" and other times it takes forever.

Most times if one dosent show within 10 minutes its time to move to a new location.

Early morning, 1/2 hour before sunrise and early evening just as the sun is setting, are the best times. Ive also found out that they are moving and easier to call just as it starting to snow, this can be anytime during the day. Guess they want to find some grub before it buried and its a little harder to find.

Use a small caliber rifle, 222 rem, 223, 22-250, 6mm Rem. for"ohiohog and me" etc, most will be seen in under 100 yards, unless you have some wide open areas, where they can be seen much farther. Night calling can be exciting. Under a full moon and snow background they can be hunted without the use of artifical light, just know your background and whats out there in the dark. Shotguns play good here with buckshot, cause they come running straight at the call with little fear in the dark, unless they have been "educated" then it might take a little longer. Hunger will generally get to the best of them, because its a "dog eat dog world" and they want to get there first. As is "early bird gets the worm" they will show. Not every time, but a lot better than 1 in 5, like 1 in 3, so dont give up, it a RUSH!!!![:p]

By all means get some good camo for fall and white for snow and night calling with snow. DONT MOVE AROUND!!!!!! they can see a "fart" if were visible, so stay still as possible with a little background as cover, and always be as quiet as a mouse, they can hear that fart too.

There are a lot of other people on the board that hunt and call them, so my post my be different than theirs.

I live in southeast Kansas and critters act different, in other types of terrain and climates.

Happy hunting.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above,but would like to add a pup in distress call will usually bring them in by numbers.Always mask your scent and try useing different decoy's.They are intellegent animals but as they say you can out fox them.We are over run with them,they kill alot of our small Deer,and are becomeing a problem for local farmers.I guess Im lucky Ive took over a dozen this spring/summer.If you know someone who raises goats or sheep,there is your best bet and most people are eager to let you hunt them.I prefer to get in a barn loft,just be patient.The advice given above is correct in my opinion,but you can sucker that seasoned old coyote right in with the right equipment and the right time.Good Luck!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rugster beat me to it................ In your case I would use a young pup call..........

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
    <')))><

<')))><
  • toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolthandle...you rock! I have hunted fox and coy-dogs for over 25 years and you and rugster have it nailed...I have nothing of real substance to add. The only minor additions would would be that I like to go with a buddy...one with a rifle and one with a shotgun (00 buck), with the rifle set up to take the longer shots (duh!) and the shotgunner covering the woods/obstructed areas. I hunt western IL and have had great luck with a red fox pup distress call (this may have been what rugster was referring to) in the spring/summer. A another friend of mine says he has good luck with a baby woodpecker call...I have never tried it but took his word for it. My best luck with a distress rabbit has been in the fall/winter. I like night hunting too...I bought a night vision scope for my rifle so I am not limited to well-lit nights with snow, just the 24-hour hunting season.
  • warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there wild turkeys in the area?
    If so, try sitting in a spot and try calling a tom, or call like a hen trying to call back her poults, you'll be ringin the dinner bell for the coyotes.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rabbit blood and a nightscope........ [xx(][xx(][xx(]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... N R A
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, BSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Just another opinion here guys, but the moon phases have made a difference for me over the years. I know some folks don't believe, so I won't argue the point but will give you something to think about.

My grandfather fished and hunted only when the critters around the farm were moving. If the dogs were laying in the shade, the cats hid out/sleeping, cows laying down, etc., we didn't go. If the animals were up feeding and or playing, it was time to be in the woods or fishin'.

Think about it. When you are hunting and see lot's of doe and maybe a buck or two, you will also see rabbits, coyotes, *, armadillos, on and on. Even the song birds are active. Every critter out there is feeding at the same time.

As a bass angler I pay attention. If the cows are up, the bass are feeding too. If you aren't catching something then you're just in the wrong part of the lake/pasture. I make the point about "pasture" because when you look at the cows, they are not all over with one per acre. Cows congregate in certain areas, bass do the same thing.

Watch your kids parakeet or birds at your backyard feeder. If they are feeding, bet your cat or dog will willingly play as well. Check the moon charts!

Point is, I've gone calling (for close to fifty years), and zipped because the coyotes, fox, * and bob kitties were resting-after a meal. Call when they are out hunting and you'll increase your odds a bunch.
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas: your point is well taken. I never thought about the moving, playing around, thing, but it makes sense. Ill watch for this next time I go out and see if it has merit. Cant hurt.

tocarz: talk is cheap, Im not that lucky when I go out.

Took my 11 year old son out last winter. It was about 5 degrees out and a foot snow everywhere and a full moon, no wind, thank god, boy was it cold. We went to about 4 places until we got a "hit" and it was totaly unexpected, as most are. We had just set down near an open soybean field with cover in back and to the left of us. Turned on the tape, hadnt even been on 45 sec. when I caught a movement to my right, there he was. My son was to my right and didnt see it yet, I nudged him on the shoulder and wispered "look there" I never got a shot off at him, but my son was excited, just the same.

Coyote had come in the same way we did.

He was convinced that they do come to calls, but I told him that it does take some time, sometimes. We were so cold then, that we decided to call it a night and it was just 9:00. The other 3 places that we tried, we let the tape play the full 30 minutes with not even a sign.

We had fun, and thats whats important when you take a young one out hunting.[^]

I have considered a night vision scope, but Kansas Wildlife and Parks, has rewritten the regs. on hunting and it now states something like "light enhanced and artificial light" devices, were illegal for taking coyotes at night.

Dang the luck...... but what they dont know, wont hurt them.[:D]

I have never tried the pup in distress tape, but I think Ill get one and give it a try.

Woodpecker tape; Ive got one, but it didnt sound right to me. It didnt make me hungry, but I guess its an "interest" call for coyotes. Dugh!!!!! Im not a coyote, so guess Ill give that a little more use and see if I get some results.

Ive used hand calls with good results and I have an old "Johnny Stewert" electronic caller. Ive had better results with an old cassette tape player than with this thing.

Im looking at all these new digital callers with interest, but I dont see how the battery life with some of those big speakers, can be very long. What I have read about them is pretty good, so who knows might end up with one of them if the price was right. Most are a little to high right now, but like VCRs and DVDs, the price will certainly come down in time, I hope.

Bolt

• REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This site has a lot of info, broken down by geography, in case you didn't know of it. -Ralph

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
  • toocarztoocarz Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolthandle....what do you mean "talk is cheap, I'm not that lucky when I go out" Dude, by going to about 4 places before seeing a coy-dog, you are doing pretty good. I should be so lucky. There have been a few times I've gotten some action in my first or second spot....other times, many others, when I have hit 8-10 spots with no joy. When you say that you got some action in about 45sec. that is typicall for me too...usually in about 10 sec. to 3 min. is what I see. Also, some of the smart ones (e.g., not this years batch) will swing down wind of the of the caller (or speaker) and come in rather than barreling toward the call.

Also, when I bowhunt, I carry a call. My experience has been a single data point that a distressed rabbit will not * deer. ANY other thoughts would bee appreciated. My test was a few years ago; I saw 3 does that were about 80-100 yards moving away....I wailed on the distressed rabbit call and the deer stopped for a second or two, then kept grazing and moving away from me. Since then, before or after buck "prime-time", I will call when I see a coy-dog...sometimes they have no interest, but about 70% of the time they will show interest. I've arrowed a few that way, but it has also helped me build an understanding of how they react to my calling. Oh, yeah, I still get a few deer too [:D]
    edited November -1
    toocarz: I guess that I expect to see or get one in less than that 1in5 but I have gone for a lot longer, Even days without a "hit." I get board and go home thinking that they had an unlisted number or somthing like that. I have seen many when deer hunting and just let them go, dont want to disturb that big buck.[;)]

Remember one time last year, that I had just set down and turned on the tape, was pulling down camo hood, had it on a little backwards. As soon as I had it straight, the yote was already on the retreat and heading for cover like there was no tomarrow. He came out timber right to the side of me, saw this 220# rabbit and hightailed it. Less than 10 seconds, not even time to shoulder rifle and see him run over a terrace.

The closest that I have ever been to a "live one" was about fifteen years ago. Was calling from a ridge laying down looking over an 80 acre hay meadow, when the birds around me started making a racket, didnt think about it till it was over. But the birds were telling me that there was another predator beside the 200# one looking across the field present. A large yote appeared within arms reach of me,[:0] man thats to close. Scared the H out of him too. Did manage to get him when he stopped running at about 100 yards.

To this day its the onle one that I shot, that let out a screem like I have never heard before. I guess it was a dying wail or somthing, cause I hit him right through the neck.[xx(]

When birds start acting a little wierd I start looking.[:p]

Got a nice buck during deer season years ago while calling yotes. Guess he was going to see what was making that rabbit hurt so bad and found out it wasnt what he wanted.[xx(][;)]

Did you check out that site that REBJr posted? looks interesting but I dont think they can teach me anything that I dont alredy know. They do have some nice pic posted, most look like the were taken in desert, high plains setting and didnt suit my style of hunting here in southeast Kansas.

Bolt

• kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the feed back...!..was popping a few rabbits last evening as the were trashing out the garden...have some turkey..but the nearest woods is about a mile away...had a few walk down the road one day but some kid took the side of the road and hit them with his car.....i will pick up a call and see what i can do with it..not many fox around....thanks again!
  • warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally if there are coyote in an area there won't be many or any fox in the same area as the bigger dog (coyote) will run them out or kill them.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!