In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Cartridge or Cartridges Bore You??

cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
I won't start off by stirrin' too much, but there are a few "good" popular cartridges that bore me and they are: .30-06, .270, and .243 as rifles go and really only one handgun caliber 9mm. I owned 3 of the 4 and I just prefer other cartriges for deer. I'm not saying they aren't good, just they don't interest me. Which cartriges bore you? It doen't have to be for a good reason any reason will do.
I think the reason I don't like the ones I mentioned is because they are usually bought because of popularity rather than a fundamental understanding of the options available.

Comments

• Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my 270 [:D]

Despite the fact that I never shot a 30-06, they bore me because its too common. And the cartridge makes me think of a fat guy on steroids.

Dont ask why.

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cletus, you hacked a couple of my favorites, but mine would have to be the 22-250. Very impressive, but many would have you believe that you are not varmiting unless your shooting a '250. Bores me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I killed my first 5 deer with a .270 (six all together) first 3 I used factory, and have not fired a factory round at a deer since 1984. I think it is an excellent deer cartridge, I used Nosler Solid Bases for 1, Ballistic Tips for 2 and Hornady Factory for the first 3. Why did I get bored? Everyone had em and I prefer to be a little different. I will say IMO it represents the upper end of what most folks can shoot well without alot of practice.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    257 Roberts and 7mm mag, A friend of mine has a 257 Roberts and I have heard how great it is for the past 15 years. The 7mm Mag, I dont know, I need help on that one would some one please help. so I can buy a Rifle in 7mm Mag.[:D][:D]
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22mag. Never liked it in a pistol, never been impressed with it in a rifle.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    243 bores me. It seems that no matter how many shots you take at a target with a 243, you only end up with a single hole on the target. Baffling? [:D] [8D]

Explosion.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wizard78
    243 bores me. It seems that no matter how many shots you take at a target with a 243, you only end up with a single hole on the target. Baffling? [:D] [8D]

Missing the fun factor, eh? [:D]

www.ammoday.com
    bulletline.gif
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06 because I think they are over-rated.
    They are good just not the amazing better than everything else that lots of people make them out to be.
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    17HMR
    Was going to get one, but with all the hype, I'm sure I'll be let down. Yawn. -Ralph

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree with REBJr. .17 HMR doesn't interest me in the least.
    What's it trying to be?

Mudge the big bore fan

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    chuck get the 7mm you wont be sorry i have harvested a butt load of deer and assorted critters with mine the beauty is you can laod 100gr on up and they shoot flat and fast[:p][:p]

the 17 HMR just dont trip my trigger

Lt.RRG

c.gif
    "Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The 243, 25-06, 257 roberts[xx(]. Some others but my 6.5 x 55 doses everything that they do and If I want to do more then I can get something larger!![8D]
  • Options
    rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree on a 7 mm but I would suggest the 7 mm Mauser or 7 mm08.

It will do what you want without the extra barrel length, weight, report or kick.

Check the ballistics.

I have 2 of the magnums so I know of what I speak.

Thanks

Rockton
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna have to throw the .17 HMR in the pile as well, I just can't get excited about a nonreloadable cartridge that sell for $8-$10 a box.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    .300 win mag
    .308 win
    .223 rem
    .17 BMR
    28 ga.

I don't HATE any of the above ,,,,, but I also think we would lose nothing if these cartridges/guages disappeared tomorrow.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man you guys are hard I own a 30 06 love it I have a 270 love it I have a 300 win mag really love it. but as far as what I don't like I never had much use for the 500 wilson only seen 1 gun chambered in it and I could not own it so the caliber was useless. I like all guns from the .17 to the 8 bore the more recoil the better. [:D]

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE I
    KILL PEOPLE Mr. Larson on Happy Gilmore
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Never found a gun yet that bored me!! I love to shoot them all, doesn't matter what caliber or make!!! Love to shoot!!!
    Pa.

pacamopasrear.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do get tired of hearing about how great some of the cartridges are, like the 06. I think most popular cartridges have a purpose, but typically the most popular ones aren't the most powerful ones. I can site cartridge after cartridge that has faded into relatively obsolete status when they are much more powerful than the popular one. I guess some of that is how much recoil a person can handle...

30-30 (has to be at the top of my list.)
    30-06

BTW, I liked the "bored" play-on words... Clever. [;)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the new short magnums ans super short magnums. they do not offer anything over several existing cartridges. i will not buy any factory rifle that has a BBL life under 850 rounds. the cases are only good for about 3 firings before they need to be tossed. after all the hype over the last several years, i have not seen one of these guns in the shop or at the range. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Cartridges that bore me:

1. .25auto
    2. .32auto
    3. .380auto
    4. 9mm luger
    5. .223rem
    6. .222rem
    7. 300 savage
    8. .32 H&R Mag

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The short mags and super * mags bore me so much I completely forgot how much they bore me. In spite of this, I've shot my friend's A-Bolt .270 WSM and though it bores me, it's quite accurate. I see a number of these WSM's and SAUM's becoming obsolete in a few years. To me they really only fill one niche: Keeping the Magnum craze alive. I will say this, if I were to market a new caliber I'd call it a such and such MAGNUM, because they appeal to the inexperienced, uninformed, and irresponsible deer hunters, who would be better served with almost any non-magnum.