In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best all around cartridge?

H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
I looking a good all around gun. I can't decide on .243 or 25-06. I wan't something for long range varmit shooting as well as whitetail sized game. Any opinions?

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    GHD is gonna say 25-06 but I'm gonna say 243 since I am trying to sell mine right now and everybody here knows about it.[:D]

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I have not yet bought a rifle, but a few weeks ago decided to start with the .243, maybe a Savage 111G.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd personally say what you're looking for isn't what your topic is talking about...
    I'd say neither - get a 6mm rem.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to say the best all around cartridge has to be the .50bmg. Good from snakes to aeroplanes. There's even a .30cal sabot round that can be used for varmint hunting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    It doesn't have to be either of those two. That's just what I have been looking at. What kind of .243 do you have? How much do you want for it?

E-mail me and delete the above afore Nunner sees it![:D]

I got a steal for you.

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    I'd have to say the best all around cartridge has to be the .50bmg. Good from snakes to aeroplanes. There's even a .30cal sabot round that can be used for varmint hunting.

You are alright with me![:D] Where you been lately, or have I just overlooked your posts[?]

• Options
    edited November -1
    what would be the advantage of a 6mmrem over a .243win? Seems like they are quite similar to me. And ammo that is readily available.

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    I looking a good all around gun. I can't decide on .243 or 25-06. I wan't something for long range varmit shooting as well as whitetail sized game. Any opinions?

.30-06, hunt anything you want (except birds) in North America from groundhogs to moose.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Typically between 100 and 200 fps difference between the .243 Win. and 6mm Rem. (with the same bullet weight) on factory ammo... I am pretty sure they use the same bullets if you reload and I think the difference will grow a little if you do.
    Also, don't forget about the Ackley Improved version of it too, that'll add even more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah yes the Ackley Improvement. How available is 6mmrem ammo?

• Options
    edited November -1
    You can get 6mm Rem. at any real sporting store (all 5 of the stores I go to carry different brands, bullet weight, and bullet designs), but may or may not be able to get it at Wal-mart and other multi-purpose stores. Of course the A.I. version will be internet order or custom loading only.
    Also, the 6mm Rem. guns will be a little harder to find, but no where near impossible...

That said, either of the two you mentioned will likely do the job, but the 6mm should do it better. If it doesn't have enough for ya, get a .264 mag! [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's pretty available in good gun stores in most bullet weights. If they got 243, they got 6mm, most likely. 6mm tends to run a little more.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Good point will270, I forgot the additional cost. It isn't a lot, but it does add up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I will digest it, process it, and regurgitate it in the form of a new rifle soon!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to post pictures and your targets! [:)]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30.06 is so versatile that it has to be considered one of the best. You can load it with a 55 grain fmj .22 cal/sabot bullet that zings out of the barrel at 4100 fps +/-. Or load it up to a 220 grain that comes out at 2395 fps +/- that will knock down a bear. Or a lot of other loads in between. 30.06 is not as limited, in what ammo to shoot, as the ones you listed.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those same sabots loaded in .300win mag will go around 4600fps. And can be loaded with 240gr bullet at around 2600fps. To many choices and not enough money trees![V]

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    .30-06 = cheeper than .300 winmag or any of the others listed.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest the .30-06 or the .270. Either can take anything in North America.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best all around, hummmmmmmmm, Europe North and South America, 30-06 followed closly by the 308Win (Ammo availabilty is a major consideration also), over all for anything in the world the 375H&H would have to be my pick as best all around (and no worries about countries that ban the private ownership of guns chambered for "military" cartridges.

(BTW I use a 30-06)

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is None.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Definitely the .22lr. Knowdown power like you wouldn't believe! [:D]

VarmTS.jpg
    http://www.cafepress.com/gunrightsforall
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06 one of the oldest and best.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun has!
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Question,I think its the 30-06 by far!

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I like and hunt deer with a .270 but I believe the 26-06 would be a better choice if I wanted to be more serious with Varmit Hunting and also would be very effective for Deer.

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    I'd personally say what you're looking for isn't what your topic is talking about...
    I'd say neither - get a 6mm rem.

BH-Thanks for holding down the fort while I was out. Hate to see them savage 25.06 folk run off with him.[:D]

Get a 6mm, ammo runs $12-20 per box and it won't torch your barrel like a 25.06[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Another 30/06 supporter

Ammo available anywhere
    Widest range of factory loads ands gets even better if you roll your own.

underway.gif
    You can lead a horse to water but....you can't make him a duck
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta' agree with the .30-06 votes. The possible loads are almost infinite.

Mudge the shooter

ps. Take into consideration that, although I've been shooting for 60 years, my opinion (according to some on this board) doesn't mean "squat".

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    The best all around in my mind is 30.06

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    krusty311krusty311 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .308win anyone?[:D]
    krusty
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm STW. Cuz I got it free.

My heart and common sense is with the 30'06, however. Not been changed in over 100 years and still being purchased regularly. Millions of hunters can't be completely wrong.

Clouder..
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Bigger is better, H.S. 10-X you need a .50 BMG. Its the answer to everything.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    6.5 x 55 Swedish mauser. Light and accurate[:D] Also not as much kick as heavier cal's and more bullet weight then the smaller rounds.[:)]
    If you really want a "all-round" carteidge then in north america, you are looking at a 338 and the rest of the world, a 375 H & H.[}:)]
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    30.06 for anything under 300 pounds, 50bmg works great on quail!
    Walte
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most riflemen would say the .30-06 is the way to go. Greatest variety ... can do about anything. But since I am a lever man, I'd say the .30-30. Happy shooting[:D]
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the 30-06...endless load possibilities,factory stuf everywhere= cheaper to shoot that way.Lots of older ones around,used prices are real reasonable.I got an old sporterized Springfield 03-a3 for trading a 22 rimfire that I had paid $75.00 for.That rifle sure shot lots a deer....didn't do a thing to it,cleaned it ,used it.You can load it up or down SO much it is amazing......my 2 cents...L.H.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know the .276steyr is supposed to be designed as a pretty versitile all around cartridge. But I think I'd just stick with a .308win, its alot cheaper to shoot.

From what I understand the .30-30win has supposedly taken more north american game than any other cartridge. Deer, Boar, and even Bear's.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,149 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leeblackman, that does not make .30-30 the best, just the most used. I think .30-06 is the best all around cartridge, not outstanding at any one thing, except maybe elk, but can be used on most anything, though I would be shy to use it on brown bear (Heck, I would be shy to try anything on a brown bear!). I am with you though, I personally like .308 better.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know I think there is a larger varity of factory ammunition for the .30-06spr than any other rifle cartridge on the american market.