In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Discharges at Gun Show

Comments

• Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Note;
    All guns are always loaded, handle accordingly.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, at least he had sense to aim up. i had someone aim down with a 9mm 2 tables from me 10 years ago in richmond.
    use to travel with and set up with the southeastern gunshow crowd. i stopped showing because the crowds and cronies changed and it became more crap than guns. the owner always made us zip tie our actions. how in the world did that one get thru!
    simple. moron dealers/sellers ignoring rules, thats how. book em. makes us all look bad.[xx(]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to happen at a show once or twice a year. At least no one got hurt. I would ban that dealer for life if I ran the show.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy got shot in the leg at a gun show in Palatine Illinois 20+ years ago. My uncle was standing next to the victim. The rumor was, that there was some nut wandering around randomly loading guns..........Ya gotta wonder.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Always zip tie actions here ... never heard of a loaded one going off!
    Must be way too lax there to let that happen!
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now everything is zip tied. Well at the few gunshows left anyway!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That wasn't an accident. That was premeditated carelessness. At least three people screwed up. Somebody put the gun away loaded. Somebody put it on the table without checking it. Somebody pulled the trigger without checking it. I don't figure he was smart enough to point it up, I figure that was just luck.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    All our local shows have ties to disable them.
  • Options
    restoreguyrestoreguy Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Denver, every gun is zip tied...pistol. rifle or shotgun.....
  • Options
    Jeb StuartJeb Stuart Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely. The customer should never have pulled the trigger without first making sure the rifle was unloaded. If I were him I would have run off too, though, after doing something as foolish as that.
    What gets me though, is what they wrote about the man there with his wife who was "so badly shaken (read scared s*less) by the mishap that he didn't handle any other firearms at the show." What an asinine comment. Why should someone else's mistake cause you to doubt your own judgment and common sense? It sounds like they managed to interview the one guy at the gun show who is totally unfamiliar with guns and gun safety. I'm surprised the author didn't quote some scared person saying something about how "it makes you wonder how safe a gun can ever really be" or "it makes you realize a gun can just go off at any time". Those are the kind of general anti-gun comments, meant to cause baseless fear of guns, that i've read in similar articles in the past.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work the gun check table at the local assn. gunshows, about three out of 4 each year. Every single time I have worked I have been presented with a firearm with either a loaded magazine or one in the spout, forgotten when the mag was pulled. ya don't get your bullets back either![:(!]
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Customer was probably running to the bathroom to clean out his pants!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I was going to go to that show - it was the first one at the new F'Burg Expo & Convention Center. After that stupid mistake, it may be their last show as well.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i went to the show on sunday, i've heard different rumors about the incident, 1 was saying that there were several VA. state police right in the vicinity of the man that fired the gun, and they were *watching* him for some reason, i'm almost half tempted to believe that it was a setup, the gun was intentionally loaded and fired by the guy for more bad press on shows, after the incident at the Showplace a few months ago with all the ATF, State and local police harassing the patrons. The weird part about it is that they didnt catch the guy that fired the firearm, how in the world can you go to a show fire a gun and waltz out the door without somebody saying something to the authorities, something's fishy if you ask me.... not just an accident?
  • Options
    HDRIDERHDRIDER Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mowart
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/012006/01312006/164260

How do you eliminate these incidents when there are always a hand full of feebleminded three year olds that can be found at every show on both sides of the table???

Have you ever noticed the numbers of table lizards that try to handle every weapon without the first intention of buying one??? Sure the idiot that pull the trigger should have checked to see if the gun was loaded, but what makes you think that he knew how???

This incident will only serve as another round of ammo for the anti group in their ultimate quest to ban all guns.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HDRIDER
    Have you ever noticed the numbers of table lizards that try to handle every weapon without the first intention of buying one???

"Table lizards." I've got to remember that one-- it's classic! When I did gunshows that used to bug the heck out of me. Also the people who would bring a tribe of kids with them to let the kids handle all the guns too... with salt on thier fingers from eating popcorn. Arrrrrggggg.

There are so many people who don't have a clue for manners, or respect for other people's property. They buy a $5 ticket and think it's admission to Romper Room.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stuff happens, its just inevitable. Murphy was the only one setting that guy up.

If anything, once it was assured that no one was hurt, the worse thing must have been the embarrasement.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They had a similar incident at an Orange County (Kalifornia)
    gun show last year. I wasn't in the building when it happened
    but when I walked in the paramedics were still working on the
    dealer's leg. I believe he was hit by cement chips & not the bullet.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jeb Stuart
    What gets me though, is what they wrote about the man there with his wife who was "so badly shaken (read scared s*less) by the mishap that he didn't handle any other firearms at the show." What an asinine comment. Why should someone else's mistake cause you to doubt your own judgment and common sense? It sounds like they managed to interview the one guy at the gun show who is totally unfamiliar with guns and gun safety. I'm surprised the author didn't quote some scared person saying something about how "it makes you wonder how safe a gun can ever really be" or "it makes you realize a gun can just go off at any time". Those are the kind of general anti-gun comments, meant to cause baseless fear of guns, that i've read in similar articles in the past.

We are hard-wired (read, genetically encoded) to react to danger. Some of us are able to overcome that reaction through reason. Some of us are not. I'm not sure which is the preferable situation. But at any rate, I don't see anything shameful about getting skittish when some fooey fires a shot through the ceiling at a gun show. At that point, danger has been percieved. Some will say: "OK, we're pre-disastered" a la [what the hell was that robin williams movie, anyway?]. Others will simply recognize danger and try to avoid it. Frankly, some of the strongest people I've known have been the biggest advocates of the idea that you should run whenever you have the option.

Nobody wants to get hurt. Nobody should be scorned for trying not to get hurt. And there's nothing wrong with discovering a respect for guns, even if it means you're skittish for a while.
  • Options
    The Load RoomThe Load Room Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I tend to agree with the conspiracy posts untill the trigger puller is identified and interviewed, what are the odds of:
    1. The seller not checking for cleared chamber before handing the weapon to customer.
    2. Customer not checking for clearded chamber befor handeling.
    3. Plain clothes immediate response (are they in attendance at all gun shows?)
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one at a southern Minnesota show in November. A dealer apparently carried his loaded Glock into the restroom and hung it on a hook while he did his business. When he retrieved the gun, it went off, blowing off a knuckle. I've heard the gun had a very light pull. You have to wonder WTH he was thinking both before AND after the round went off[:0].
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why the heck was it loaded? I thought proper firearm usage/ safety entailed removing the mag and opening the action ensuring an unloaded firearm. Like you guys said before, this * should not be allowed at gun shows anymore.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    I think the key sentence in the story is that Hackworth "handed" the rifle to the man. Hackworth screwed up by not checking the action. I left the show about 11:30 on Sat., which was a very nice show BTW, because it was extreamely crowded, and my 85 year old dad couldn't get around to well. I find it hard to believe the shooter just disappeared, as he must have been seen by dozens of people.

The Expo center may or may not have cameras yet, as they just barely finished the building in time to open for the show.

The "table lizard" remarks make no sense. Why do you think people PAY to get into these shows. The main reason I hand over $$ to shop is to touch and feel, handle, evaluate, and compare many guns at the same time. If you think people are going to wait for permission you're nuts. Three vendors working a table with 30 people around it can't move that fast.
    If you don't want people to handle your stuff then you should put it under glass, as some vendors do. When the guns are out in the open, I take that as an invitation to examine. I think many of us "table lizards" feel this way. I paid to handle your ware.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there (Left about a half hour before the incident) and ditinctly remember signs that said we were on camera. I wouldn't come to any conclusions until the tapes are reviewed andthe guy who discharged the gun is interviewed. There are too many anti-gunshow people around to believe everything I hear.

BTW, it was a good show in a classy new venue tho I thought the $8 admission fee was a little pricy. The Ammunitionstore was there and in addition to my usual powder and primer purchases I got about 1000 rounds of 7.62x54R at lowest prices without shipping.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEP

PJ

quote:Originally posted by lazerus
    Note;
    All guns are always loaded, handle accordingly.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some kid in atlanta got wasted by some idiot @ a gunshow maybe 2 years ago. has not really changed anything. zip ties are not a cure for stupidity
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ive heard tales of Anti Gunners sneaking a bullet into guns at gun shows then leaving[:(]
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by posh
    BTW, it was a good show in a classy new venue tho I thought the $8 admission fee was a little pricy. The Ammunitionstore was there and in addition to my usual powder and primer purchases I got about 1000 rounds of 7.62x54R at lowest prices without shipping.

Are you sue that wasn't 999 rounds?[?][:o)][?]
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the more i've thought about it the more i'm convinced that this was not just a freak accident, too many people there, too much law enforcement on hand and in the direct vicinity. a guy shoots a gun and everyone hits the floor naturally right? so the only guy standing and walking away may just stick out like a turd in a punch bowl if you ask me...so how did he get out of the 2 different sets of doors? the doors to the main floor where the show was held, out of the lobby and into the parking lot? i have 2 give the local leo and the troopers the benefit of the doubt to think that they are not that incompetent as to not know who shot the gun. something stinks, or we need to change our barney fife's and rosco p coltrane's in for newer models.