In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NOT BOBSKI MYSTERY TOOL #1

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
OK What is it?

It's big and it's heavy.

My wild guess I'm pulling out of my rearend is a tool used to drive pins in bulldozer tracks. I don't know this one. ANy ideas?

Before it goes on a consignment auction, what is it?

MVC-443L.jpg
«1

Comments

  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    That is a big * rivetor.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Barrett front site adjustment wrench.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ball joint buster?
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Cool looking C clamp if you decide to sell it let me know.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obviously, the big nut with the three balls (You can only see 2 but there are three) and the lock nut is to set the depth of whatever being driven , but what and why.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Its a block bender, you use it to bend cement blocks, Without them we would never have perfected square cement block buildings. Or rectangle cement block buildings for that matter.

    No clue, some type of clamp if I had to guess.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I've driven lots of pins in dozer tracks before, and that doesn't look like a big * sledge hammer and steel bar!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like it could be a lifting device for sheet metal.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    It looks like it could be a lifting device for sheet metal.


    I know what your saying but it ways as much or more than a 10X4 sheet, plus that little tit on the end of the bolt is about as small as a pencil eraser.


    Hu-ha...I said tit.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 27,192
    edited November -1
    it is a press of some sort. Sorry I can't give you what specifically it's used on though
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 19,356 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    primer seater for 9mm[;)]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That there is a basic Guantanimo terroristic talker device. It will change the pitch of their voice without any electronic help.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some lead...some follow.[:D]



    the hole looks like its where a strap goes thru.[?]

    see where the strap wore away the metal finish?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    It looks like it could be a lifting device for sheet metal.




    I think shoff is right. As soon as I saw it, it reminded me of a smaller one that we used to lift 1/8 inch sheet steel
    You clamp it to a sheet and tighten it with a wrench very tight.
    Put a strap through the eyelet and lift it with a fork lift or hoist.

    Makes moving sheet steel a lot easier.


    Thanks---Peabo
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,860
    edited November -1
    They're called plate clamps, & that are one.
    [:D]barto[:D]
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a rivet tool to me, used to smash rivets on a sickle bar mower. Kinda similar to these:

    http://www.smithtoolinfo.com/products.htm
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by barto
    They're called plate clamps, & that are one.
    [:D]barto[:D]



    Them are plate clamps.

    pc_button.jpg

    scp.jpg
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AK Front sight windage adjustment tool

    akst.jpg
  • BshooterBshooter Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did you get the yard stick? I did business with that company. Bshooter
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a local shop until John Deere started consolidating dealerships. They first lost a tractor account in 1989. Then they sold parts and lawn mowers. They they tore down the building for a KMART parking lot.

    E. Myer dapples in lawn mowers north of town now.

    Yard stick is a 4 footer.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leather Punch [:0]
  • BshooterBshooter Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still live about 10 miles away. I know E.Myer very well. Bshooter
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bshooter
    I still live about 10 miles away. I know E.Myer very well. Bshooter


    Damm your close. I better watch what I say!
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you/him have the any of the punches that slips over the end of the drive pin "bolt"?
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. Are you suggesting I might be missing multiple tips?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would say it looks like a big * chain breaker. (for busting chain to size)
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    picture1.jpg

    Would it be used drive these two halves together on some very big barge chain where the chains are about 6-8 inches long?

    picture1.jpg

    Or maybe the setnut and lock nut can be used to drive the center pin in one of these connecting links for barge chain?

    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/maininterface.htm
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 15,200
    edited November -1
    Looks like a tool for staking a bolt, like the stacking swivel screw on the gas cylinder of an M1 Garand.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Freemind is correct (or it could be an elephant castrator -failed device when it was realized that the phants wouldn't stand for it).
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    picture1.jpg

    Would it be used drive these two halves together on some very big barge chain where the chains are about 6-8 inches long?

    picture1.jpg

    Or maybe the setnut and lock nut can be used to drive the center pin in one of these connecting links for barge chain?

    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/maininterface.htm


    Think BIG rollerchain or double roller chain. Like the kind in the rear end of an old DC Case tractor.

    The throat opening only appears to be four inches or so.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    picture1.jpg

    Would it be used drive these two halves together on some very big barge chain where the chains are about 6-8 inches long?

    picture1.jpg

    Or maybe the setnut and lock nut can be used to drive the center pin in one of these connecting links for barge chain?

    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/maininterface.htm


    Think BIG rollerchain or double roller chain. Like the kind in the rear end of an old DC Case tractor.

    The throat opening only appears to be four inches or so.

    I thought the same, but where would it push the pin to?....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    picture1.jpg

    Would it be used drive these two halves together on some very big barge chain where the chains are about 6-8 inches long?

    picture1.jpg

    Or maybe the setnut and lock nut can be used to drive the center pin in one of these connecting links for barge chain?

    http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/maininterface.htm


    Think BIG rollerchain or double roller chain. Like the kind in the rear end of an old DC Case tractor.

    The throat opening only appears to be four inches or so.

    I thought the same, but where would it push the pin to?....
    Don


    It could just be my eyesight, Don, but I thought I saw an indent or a hole on the left side of the tool. Perhaps there isn't.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,725
    edited November -1
    Front sight adjustment tool..... for an 8" howitzer!
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind



    It could just be my eyesight, Don, but I thought I saw an indent or a hole on the left side of the tool. Perhaps there isn't.

    It almost looks like it might have a double screw, the large one, looks like a acme or square thread, and a inside, where the square head is, notice how the square head looks seperate?
    it could be for setting big roller chain links, os screw clamps, inside mushrooms?...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by freemind



    It could just be my eyesight, Don, but I thought I saw an indent or a hole on the left side of the tool. Perhaps there isn't.

    It almost looks like it might have a double screw, the large one, looks like a acme or square thread, and a inside, where the square head is, notice how the square head looks seperate?
    it could be for setting big roller chain links, os screw clamps, inside mushrooms?...
    Don


    You may well be correct.

    Captplaid, does this have a two unit screw? As Don was saying, do the two pieces turn independantly?
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plaid
    The tool that I saw that looks much like the one shown but larger was used for large chain link repairs.

    picture1.jpg

    It had some caps with different style "heads" on them that shaped the rivet. Some were concave, some convex and some different flat or blunt that slipped over the pointed end of the bolt.

    The nut with the knobs was used to adjust the limit of travel the "press" could go.

    Then an air or electric tool much like a large impact wrench with a square socket was used to turn the bolt and press the heated rivet into the shape of the tip placed over the bolt point. The knobby nut would keep the tool from pressing the rivet passed the point where it would bind once cooled.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 13,200
    edited November -1
    Chain breaker for 1918 chain drive Mack truck.
  • TavisTavis Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whats the patent number on that?
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah it is double nutted to set a depth.

    I pulled this out of a building about to scrapped 10 years ago. The building was on th Mississippi south of the quad cities. It housed a crawler at one time for unloading salt barges and had some barge rigging. You should have seen the size of the barge chain!

    They frequently used both these styles of connecting links.

    I guess if driving connecting links is the purpose, it can only be used to drive them together and not apart. The tit isn't big enough to act as a roller chain breaker. The base does not have a hole in it.

    Even still, I would think you would tighten the piss out of it and not worry about a set & Lock bolt, but this is the most logical guess.
Sign In or Register to comment.