In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Greatest Americans - GB style

familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
Saw the list, agree with the complaints. Now, a lot of the criteria may be subjective, but it seems to me that this list would mean more to the folks here......

1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Teddy Roosevelt
3. Albert Einstein
4. Henry Ford
5. Sgt. York
6. John Wayne
7. Warren Buffet
8. Malcolm X
9. Mohammed Ali (sp?)
10. Ted Nugent

To head off the outcry from the resident rednecks over #8, think about this: He saw an injustice in our laws and social system, rose up and led people from a broken start in life, had a kick butt attitude ("By Any Means Necessary"), and was big enough to admit his mistakes (broke from the Nation of Islam and had a vision of the races coexisting in peace).

I'm sure you'll have your own, but I think that all in all that's a MUCH better list than the other.

"Tell me, why is it that I should trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away....? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights..."

Comments

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Malcolm X?

What about Sam Colt or John Browning?

cat.gif
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    How did Cassius Clay get in there?

How about Bill Cosby??

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chappsyny
    Malcolm X?

What about Sam Colt or John Browning?

cat.gif

MMMMMMmmmm, think I'd go with John Browning. Any opinions on which one to replace? Besides Malcolm.....you really should read his life story. How about Al (#3)?

"Tell me, why is it that I should trade one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away....? An elected legislature can trample a man's rights..."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS
    How did Cassius Clay get in there?

How about Bill Cosby??

BW

Because I wrote it. I like the suggestion, though:

1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Teddy Roosevelt
    3. John Browning
    4. Henry Ford
    5. Sgt. York
    6. John Wayne
    7. Warren Buffet
    8. Malcolm X
    9. Dr. Bill Cosby
    10. Ted Nugent

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good choice. Einstein was a draft dodger.

cat.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any suggestions for women for the list?

• Options
    edited November -1
    "Einstein was a draft dodger."

So was Clay.

BW

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Einstein? I think Einsteing had an equal part in ending WWII as Browning did. As much as I like the Duke, you might want to put Einstein back on the list and bump Rooster Cogburn down to the #11 spot. Might want to move Ali down a ways too. Where's Reagan? Where's MacAurthur? Where's Edison? What about Louis Chevrolet (the first and last guy to build a car that works[;)])?
    Teddy Roosevelt is up on the list but what about Lewis and Clark? What about Ben Franklin or Booker T Washington? What about Nikolai Tesla? (Edison was in favor of DC power which would have been horribly expensive to transmit over long distances and to use in households)

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I still vote for Johnny Wadd.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by familyguy
    Saw the list, agree with the complaints. Now, a lot of the criteria may be subjective, but it seems to me that this list would mean more to the folks here......

1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Teddy Roosevelt
    3. Albert Einstein
    4. Henry Ford
    5. Sgt. York
    6. John Wayne
    7. Warren Buffet
    8. Malcolm X
    9. Mohammed Ali (sp?)
    10. Ted Nugent

To head off the outcry from the resident rednecks over #8, think about this: He saw an injustice in our laws and social system, rose up and led people from a broken start in life, had a kick butt attitude ("By Any Means Necessary"), and was big enough to admit his mistakes (broke from the Nation of Islam and had a vision of the races coexisting in peace).

I'm sure you'll have your own, but I think that all in all that's a MUCH better list than the other.

My list

1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Teddy Roosevelt
    3. Henry Ford
    4. Billy Mitchell
    5. Sgt. York
    6. Joe Foss
    7. Bob Hope
    8. Philo T. Farnsworth
    9. John Wayne
    10. Jimmy Stewert

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    HopliteHoplite Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10. Charles Steinmetz
    9. John Wayne
    8. Louis/Clarke
    7. Henry Ford
    6. Eisenhower
    5. Ben Franklin
    4. Orville/Wilbur Wright
    3. John Browning
    2. George Mason
    1. .....

Not sure I can really put anyone into the first spot without serious consideration.

"Yo Homie!...
    That my briefcase?"
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Hey, as long as you pay taxes and contribute we are all great americans.

If it Flies it Dies
    All my guns are AMERICAN MADE
    19 year old with a bad attitude
  • Options
    RedneckRedneck Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did I say something wrong.

Long live General Lee
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    1. Thomas Jefferson
    2. Teddy Roosevelt Bill Gates (didn't trash the Constitution to leave his "legacy")
    3. Albert Einstein
    4. Henry Ford
    5. Sgt. York
    6. John Wayne
    7. Warren Buffet
    8. Malcolm X
    9. Mohammed Ali (sp?)
    10. Ted Nugent

You can have the rest of them as posted.

quote: I still vote for Johnny Wadd.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

He was only a fisherman's son,
    But when he saw my rod he reeled.
    Hey Lowrider, I never figured you for a switch hitter!
    "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"[;)]

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice.
    Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    Barry Goldwater
  • Options
    SteyrmanSteyrman Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Oh yes, militant black-power racists from the Nation of Islam are just fine folks. Malcolm, Elijah Mohammed, old Louie Farrakhan, they're all just big ol' teddy-bears, full of love and kindness for white people.

And to anticipate your next comment, no, the age they were living in wasn't an excuse. If Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi could do it without being bigoted or stirring up violence than how come they couldn't?

And by the way, I'm from Colorado and my neck's nice and pale, *.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    So far, nobody has managed to make a worse list than the original. That's good to see. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Steyrman

Oh yes, militant black-power racists from the Nation of Islam are just fine folks. Malcolm, Elijah Mohammed, old Louie Farrakhan, they're all just big ol' teddy-bears, full of love and kindness for white people.

And to anticipate your next comment, no, the age they were living in wasn't an excuse. If Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi could do it without being bigoted or stirring up violence than how come they couldn't?

And by the way, I'm from Colorado and my neck's nice and pale, *.
    You're ignorance is astounding.

Read about him before you attack me personally. Odds are, Elijah and Farrakhan had a hand in his death.....like I said, he made a trip to Mecca and had a revelation, saw the races coexisting peacefully. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will criticize him without knowing that much about him.

As for being militant, I'd like to see how far the founding fathers would have gone without being 'militant'. Or should they just have gone on a hunger strike like Ghandi?

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Einstein? I think Einsteing had an equal part in ending WWII as Browning did. As much as I like the Duke, you might want to put Einstein back on the list and bump Rooster Cogburn down to the #11 spot. Might want to move Ali down a ways too. Where's Reagan? Where's MacAurthur? Where's Edison? What about Louis Chevrolet (the first and last guy to build a car that works[;)])?
    Teddy Roosevelt is up on the list but what about Lewis and Clark? What about Ben Franklin or Booker T Washington? What about Nikolai Tesla? (Edison was in favor of DC power which would have been horribly expensive to transmit over long distances and to use in households)

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gifGeez, where do I start? McAurthur? Could have been better if his hands weren't tied by his own tendencies to play favorites.

L&C? Why top ten? Not disputing importance, just rank.

Ben F. same as L&C.

Edison? He stole some of his important stuff from Tesla. Didn't most (NOT all) of his stuff get ripped off from others? And in my humble and sometimes misguided opinion......Tesla would have gone and kicked his critcs' collective a$$es if he was top ten material, not just withered away.

How about Amelia Earheart(sp?)?

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS
    "Einstein was a draft dodger."

So was Clay.

And that, sir, is a load of crap. Clay didn't dodge anything, he stood up for what he believed and faced the music. THAT is why I put him on the original list. Definitely top 20 anyway.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Where's Reagan? While he did many things to make, say, a top 20 or 30 list, I just couldn't put him in the top ten.

1. 1986 GCA
    2. Raising nat'l debt ceiling
    3. 'reforming' taxes (backdoor raises all the way)
    4. "I don't recall" - Iran/Contra scandal

• Options
    SteyrmanSteyrman Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people will criticize him without knowing that much about him.

No, I know quite a bit about him. More than you, I'm willing to wager. Malcolm Little was a bigot and a hatemonger, but he wasn't stupid. He saw the writing on the wall a lot sooner than a lot of those guys did. COINTELPRO ring a bell? Fred Hampton ring a bell?

Malcom had to decide which he feared more: the FBI and J. Edgar Hoover or his own Muslim brothers and Elijah Mohammed. It was a rock and a hard place, and he'd probably have ended up dead one way or the other, but them's the odds when you act like a punk.

quote:As for being militant, I'd like to see how far the founding fathers would have gone without being 'militant'. Or should they just have gone on a hunger strike like Ghandi?

Last time I checked the Founding Fathers weren't at war over skin color, and there wasn't a large portion of England that was openly supporting their cause however they could.

[/quote]
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Malcolm X and Ali?[xx(] You must be joking.

Dr. King,Jr. and Bill Cosby are much better Americans.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    What about Audie Murphy? He was a good ole boy from Texas.

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Where's Reagan? While he did many things to make, say, a top 20 or 30 list, I just couldn't put him in the top ten.

1. 1986 GCA
    2. Raising nat'l debt ceiling
    3. 'reforming' taxes (backdoor raises all the way)
    4. "I don't recall" - Iran/Contra scandal

Yeah, but he did help start the trend of keeping the US military on the cutting edge of technology. If you look at what equipment we started and ended with during the Reagan administration it explains a lot of the expenditures. Doesn't justify all the expenditures, but a lot of stuff was taken off the drawing board and put on the front line during his administration and that isn't done on the cheap. The end result was the US being the superpower at the end of the Cold War, had we continued in Carter's footsteps we'd be in a pickle right now (OK, a worse pickle)

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Any suggestions for women for the list?

Amelia Earhart

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #10.Henry Ford
    #9. Thomas Jefferson
    #8. John Browning
    #7. Gen Patton
    #6. Adm Nimitz(SP)
    #5. The Wright Bro.
    #4. Gen MacAurthur
    #3. R. Reagan
    #2. S.Colt
    #1. Any Soldier than gave his live in the defence of our counrty!

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!!!!!!!!!A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    --- Sigmond Freud
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    What, no Bush?
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Please define "Great."

Or not.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    gobucksgobucks Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greatest Americans in the form of a list? Tough to narrow that down so I'll just pick one, well three.
    Wilbur and Orville Wright, Charlie Taylor - While a bunch of Eurotrash with huge government grants fumbled their way around the seemingly insurmountable problems associated with manned flight, a couple of bicycle makers and their cantankerous mechanic quietly went about building an airplane in their spare time. They had nothing to go on except some generally accepted aerodynamic data that they soon found to be inaccurate. While the Euros, and Samuel Langley, worried about getting the contraption off the ground the Wrights surmised that the real problem was controlling the machine in the air, hence they gave us pitch, roll and yaw. They built their own propellers, to specs only slightly less efficient than those used today while everybody else fooled around with marine screw designs. To test their theories they designed their own wind tunnel. They tested, designed, built prototypes, designed some more, made attempts, redesigned, then, of course, they flew the thing in front of a few gawkers and some seagulls.
    Perserverance, ingenuity and the unshakeable belief in their own abilities.
    Yep, typical Americans, real easy to see why the world's, and our own, parasites, intellectuals and naysayers love us so much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A load of "crap"[?][?]

The rest know what I'm talkin' about,so I'll just leave it lie.

Been arguin' all day,time to rest.

BW

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. George Washington
    How can there be any other even considered? Have you no shame?
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im picking 10 no order is to be given but i will tell you why I picked them

1.Thomas Jefferson, wrote the constitution, doubled the size of the country with the luisiana purchase.

2.FDR got us out of the depression, did not enter us into WW2 until it was absolutly essential. down side turned us into a welfare state and led us into the cold war.

3.Harry Truman some will argue he was a horrible president I disagre. he saved hundreds of thousnds of american soldiers by dropping the bombs on japan. took a get tuff stratagy with the Russians, out lined american diplomacy for the cold war containment and americas nuclear stratagy.

4.Eisenhower, continued with trumans containment plans. kept american troops out of vietnam when people were calling for intervention. led american troops to victory in WW@. planned D-day the single most important battle of the 20th century.

5.Woodro Wilson, kept america out of the blood shed of WW1 for as long as he could. his 14 points if followed would not have let hitler come to power

6. george washington Not even going to explain that one

7. lincoln split the country in 2 and put it back together again. ended slavery

8. Michael Jordan won 6 nba titles and numerous other acalades. inspired millions of youth to play sports. he lived the american dream by showing what hard work will do and pay off

9. Henry ford, invented the car and assemble line. his industrializtion ideas won WW2. he employed millions of workers

10. tie matin luther king stood up for injustice and ended segragation
    bill gates with out him gunbroker would not be possible [:D]

honorable mentions,
    Reagan not top 10 was in the right place at the right time
    grant great general not so great president but got the job done
    Mac Arthur understood war but not politics if he had his way china would probable not exist.
    ok bed time Or id go on and on

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I would have liked to have met Jesus![:)]

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    First, Einstein was a german! He may have taken american citizenship but he really remained a antiwar peacelover. Apart from signing the letter to Roosevelt, which others wrote, he had absoulty nothing to do with the design and building of the atomic bomb. He was not even consoulted on any part of it. Not even the theory.

headzilla97, While I agree with most of what you say, Eisenhower had little to do with the actual planning of the D-day landings. Virtually all the conceptual planning was done by a british staff under Lt General Morgan before either Eisenhower or Montgomery where involved. Planning afterwards on the fleshing out was done by a joint staff.

About Woodrow Wilson, read the book "Paris 1919" and I think that your point of view might change. Wilson made several very critical mistakes, so did others btw!

If I can't spell, so what!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As ZERODIN noted, the first post and other suggestions are an improvement over the original thread . . . .

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    headzilla: You definitely needed to get some shut-eye. Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution was written by committee.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    after reading it over i see my error now sorry was up for 20 straight hours

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    after reading it over i see my error now sorry was up for 20 straight hours
    No harm, no foul.
  • Options