In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do you do if (auction trouble)

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
I'm looking at a gun here on GB. I've sent three emails to the seller asking a few questions, and I have yet to recieve a response. Among things that I would like an answer too is the seller states payment will be made by U.S. cash only. I would like to ask if a money order or bank check would work but he doesn't respond to my emails. This is a pretty unique gun so I asked for the serial number as well to help determine D.O.M. and I would probably have a good chance of finding if the gun has ever been back to the factory for any reason. This seller asks for you to email him questions, and his feedback is good, I don't understand why he won't reply to my emails. And since it's an auction the clock is ticking. Anyone have any suggestions? Three days two hours, to go, but I'll be out of town when the auction ends so I need to hear from the guy before friday afternoon if I'm going to be able to bid. I really want this gun too.

R/

Dave
th_bigclay.bmp
How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like all you can do is keep emailing him. Keep trying to get his attention. Email him before you leave town and ask him to notify you if he re-lists it. Unfortunately, someone could bid in your absence. That person would deserve it because they want it so much that they are willing to take the risk that you are unwilling to take with regards to the types of questions you want answered before you bid.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to wonder if the guy may be out of town for a short while and that's why he's not responding. If he has good feedback he's probably fairly legitimate, just unavailable to answer your query..
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been a lot of trouble on the auction in the last week or so with virus's and such. GB has been off-line twice for a total of at least 24 hrs.

There is also problems with the MS Explorer Browser, with the same thing, virus's etc.

I have a dial-up connection to the net, it seems that I have been going off-line half dozen times a day or more lately.

Chances are, he isn't even getting your e-mail.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Dave, ask yourself how much money you're willing to just throw away to take that chance.

Me, if a seller doesn't respond to my emails within 24-48 hours, I forget about it.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my hard drive die once when I had auctions up. Some people got really upset because I did not answer their questions.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Mouse, if my puter crapped out right now, I could get to another one, even if it's at the public library, to check my email.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    "Cash" generally means guaranteed funds. U.S.P.S. money order or Bank Check.

U.S. cash means no American Express 100,000 Yen Traveler's Checks.

Good luck.

I just sent a GB guy $575 who didn't re-post a gun after his auction ended ($500 U.S.P.S. money order, balance personal check). We stayed in touch, and I ended up buying from him for his GB asking price. This is after we discussed the merits and that-not of various guns in our meager arsenals over numerous emails.

He has not been in touch, either, but it is a holiday week/weekend.
    His silence was a little unnerving at first, but after sending/receiving a half dozen emails, coupled with his GB rating, I don't have a problem with it.

How's P'cola? I remember camping there; the Navy jets fly overhead until dusk, and are up at sunrise.