In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Ammo Collectors out there?

dutyoutfittersdutyoutfitters Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
I recently started an ammo collection and was wondering if anyone else is into this. I am trying to collect one each of as many calibers and variations as I can. I also collect vintage firearms advertising and cartridge boxes, etc. I also started a blog here http://ammocollector.blogspot.com/
Anyone who is interested in trading or selling any vintage items please let me know. I'd also love to see pictures of your collections. Here's what I have so far, just a start but its getting addictive!

Comments

• Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the GB Forum.

There are several knowledgeable folks here on the board. I suspect you will have quite a bit of solid, detailed information in a short time.

Cool blogspot.

NS
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum; I collect ammunition, but not collectible ammunition- just stuff that will be shot sooner or later.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a great reference:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/

I collect some things, but not in a great quantity or any particular era. I use them as training tools and/or court (expert testimony) materials.

Good luck on your quest!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.cartridgecollectors.org is the home page of the IAA. They hold their big show (SLICS) in St Louis,Mo the 3 days before Easter, bring lots of cash and a Teflon chin cup (helps prevent rug burns when you first walk onto the show floor).

Only a select few of us here collect "good" ammo (the chosen few [:D] ), the rest simply amass large quantities of boring everyday blasting stock.

Collect what you enjoy, some (like me) generalize. Some specialize in one type/country, some in just a single cartridge (books have been written on just the 30-06, they tell me that a "entry level" collection of 8mm Mauser is some 5000 variations, while the 9mm Para has something over 9000 known varieties).

I wish you the best on getting "one of each, including variations".

BTW, just to make you drool
    100_0009-1.jpg
    100_0008.jpg
    Dave002.jpg
    SLICS09019.jpg
    Cartridges019.jpgCartridges020.jpgCartridges021.jpg
    Picture202.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My collection/a fews boxes of old junk, started a few years ago and I got interested in rifles and quit messing the ammo. Actually don't know what I have in about 250 rounds of stuff. My "wants" far exceed my "ability to pay".
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice page.[:)] Looks like you're well on your way.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    it's a long road you will travel
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A VERY long road. Just the individual calibers alone will run thousands of rounds. Then you learn about the SCARCE stuff- 9.8mm ACP. .35 S&W 3mm Kolibri .14 Alton Jones and THEN you find out about cupfires, lipfires, titfires, Crispins, Dardicks, Gyrojets, etc.

It is too late for me, save yourself!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    If you have any 20mm rounds, post pictures. [:D]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only a select few of us here collect "good" ammo (the chosen few ), the rest simply amass large quantities of boring everyday blasting stock.

You make it sound so dirty......[8D]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    If you have any 20mm rounds, post pictures. [:D]

Cartridges007.jpg
    Well, there's 4 different 20's for you (20x102, 20x110 HS, 20x110RB (x2) and a 20x138B. Not shown are my 4 20x110USN rounds, still on the links, and my 20x82 round.
    Why all the exitment about something as small as a 20mm, when there is so much "big stuff" to collect? [8D]
    SLICS2007.jpg
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast was the resident expert, but I don't think he postst here anymore [:(]
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too share the love of unusual cartridges and older ammunition.

Here are a few pics of my stuff

IMG_02176.JPG

IMG_02168.JPG

This pic is about 3 years old and is about half of just the rifle cartridges I have. I have updated it a couple times but haven't pulled it down for a year and a half and have added around 200 differant calibers to it since this pic was taken.

DSCF06471.JPG

Some of the .22 boxes, most are full.

IMG_02198.JPG