In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why?

varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
Is it that every time there is a tv show or a story on tv news someone feels they have to tell everyone on GB about it? Do you think we all live back in the mountains and come out once a week just to check GB for news? I have five tv's and I get two news papers. I read Readers Digest and Time among others. I don't need old news! A lot of us knew about the things you are reporting before you were hatched!
GIVE IT A BREAK!!!

Comments

• varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would somebody list a reserve auction starting a $.01 and then add a comment like this?

" NOTE TO BIDDERS. IF YOU BID 1 CENT OR SOME RIDICULOUS LOW BID YOU WILL BE BLOCKED FROM BIDDING ON THIS FIREARM "

I think I'm going to bid $.01 on all his auctions just to make a point!
    edited November -1
    Life is stressful enough, why add to it??????

Her Father Is a Phony SEAL
    By Mark Divine

I looked at the email request from Christine. If I had a dime for every email I answered about the SEALs, I could have retired long ago.

Since launching the website NavySEALs.com in 1996, I have served as an unofficial Internet recruiter for the Navy, helping hundreds of young men gain information and insight through the process of obtaining orders to BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) training. The training is a six-month program, from which prospective SEALs must graduate (only one in five do).

Other inquiries come from students looking for assistance with school research projects, or to settle a bet. Those requests usually read, "My buddy and I argued over which is the toughest Special Operations forces. I said SEALs. He said Delta. Which is it?"

But this email was different. As I read, I had a sinking feeling. This was not the first time I've been asked this question, but it doesn't get any easier. Christine wrote: "Hi, Mr. Divine. My name is Christine and my father was a Navy SEAL in Vietnam. He does not say much about his SEAL days, except that he did a lot of top secret missions that he can't talk about. I am very proud of my dad, and would like to find out some information about what he did with the SEALs. Can you help me?"

Sounds simple enough. Dad is a Hero to most kids. And a dad who was a SEAL is downright legendary to those who learn about the origins of the once secret Navy commando force and their tremendous record of success in Vietnam and beyond.

The sinking feeling was from a problem about which Christine is unaware but something I know well. My concern is about the impact the truth will have on Christine's view of her father that caused me to search my heart before responding.

You see, Christine's Dad was never a SEAL. He is a fraud. A Fake. A Phony. And a loser for lying to his precious daughter.

To ensure I was right, I sent her father's name to AuthentiSEAL, which tracks Phony SEAL sightings. Retired SEAL Steve Robinson, who wrote No Guts, No Glory, the book on SEAL phonies (which details many of the approximately 10,000 fake SEALs the group has identified to date) confirmed my initial suspicion. The list is definitive and includes every man who has graduated from BUD/S since the beginning of time, before they were called SEALs, but were known as Naval Combat Demolition Units and Underwater Demolition Teams.

Christine's dad was not on the list. No mistake had been made by AuthentiSEAL. He was not part of some super-secret SEAL group working so deeply undercover that the Navy destroyed the records to protect his identity. Put simply, he was a fraud.

When she learns the truth, Christine's reaction will certainly be denial. Then anger, then acceptance and, hopefully, forgiveness, if he comes clean. If he perpetuates the lie, he will do even more damage to his family and drive a wedge of mistrust a mile wide between them.

Why did Christine's dad lie to her about something he did during Vietnam, claiming to be an elite Navy Commando?

I have long wonder why so many need to create falsehoods about experiences so easily debunked - Medal of Honor recipients, Green Berets, Rangers, Marine Recon, PhDs - then perpetuate the lie for years and even defend them when called to account?

I don't have the answer, but phony claimants anger veterans who paid the real price of admission. Particularly brutal are the consequences to relationships where trust is imperative, as with Christine and the other children, wives, friends and employers of phonies.

I pondered whether to write back to Christine and what to say for several days. Part of me wanted to tell her the truth. After all, I owe that to my real teammates. But a humane part of me held back. Why ruin Christine's image of her father, who was trying to impress her by being something he was not? Maybe he just did not think enough of his little girl. So I sat on it.

Respond or Delete? What is more important, the truth or Christine? Damn him!

About a week later, I ran into an old swim buddy from SEAL Team THREE at the SEAL training area. His sister-in-law was planning to marry a "SEAL" but her Mom was suspicious about the SEAL's story. My swim buddy checked the "wall of shame" via NavySEALs.com (where AuthentiSEAL posts verified fake SEALs). He was not there. However, a check of the databases confirmed the mother's hunch. He was a fake. The wedding is off, another relationship trashed by a lie. Phony SEAL number 10,001 identified.

Perhaps in this media sound bite, feel-good world people think that saying something makes it true. When a politician says he did not support the Iraq War, we accept that as truth. Yet a records check shows that he supported the war a few months ago.

Truth no longer seems relevant in our society. More important is perception, which is accepted as reality. People say they are SEALs, so they must be SEALs. Why would they lie?

The phony is not doing any harm. Who cares anyhow, right? Wrong! Christine cares. My swim buddy's sister-in-law cares. Real veterans care. I care. Do you care?

Mark Divine is founder and editor of NavySEALs.com, a website dedicated to military and Special Operations enthusiasts, particularly the Navy SEAL community. He is a veteran of the Navy SEALs, having served at SEAL Team THREE, SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE and Naval Special Warfare Group ONE. He has been recalled to active duty for a year to support the War on Terror. He can be reached at mark@navyseals.com.

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A western Kentucky man convicted of raping and murdering an honor student had his death sentence overturned by a federal judge who said Tuesday that justice demands a new hearing even though there's no doubt about the brutality of the crime.

U.S. District Judge Thomas B. Russell sent 34-year-old Robert Keith Woodall's case back to state court for re-sentencing. Russell found that the state judge improperly instructed the jury before sentencing and denied Woodall a chance to object to a black juror being dismissed.

"The crimes Woodall admitted to committing are revolting and despicable," Russell wrote in a 92-page ruling. "There is also no question that the victim and her family deserve justice. However, ours is a system of law that is concerned with justice for both the victim and the accused."

Woodall in 1998 pleaded guilty to killing 16-year-old Sarah Hansen after abducting her from a convenience store in Greenville in western Kentucky. A jury sentenced him to death for the murder plea and life in prison for kidnapping and rape.

Hansen, a member of the National Honor Society, vanished on Jan. 25, 1997, after going to the store to rent a movie with plans to return home and watch it with her boyfriend. About two hours later, police began searching for Hansen before finding the minivan she was driving at Luzerne Lake, about a mile and a half from the store.

Officers followed a 500-foot long blood trail from the van to the lake, where they found Hansen's unclothed body floating and her throat slashed. DNA, fingerprints and footprints led to Woodall. His case was later moved to Caldwell County because of pretrial publicity.

Russell's decision rapped the state court judge for failing to properly instruct the jurors on how to consider Woodall's decision not to testify at the sentencing hearing. Russell also found that the court should have held a hearing after prosecutors used a challenge to excuse the lone black person remaining in the jury pool.

Under federal law, it is impermissible to eliminate minorities from a jury pool, regardless of the race of the defendant.

Allison Gardner Martin, a spokeswoman for the Kentucky Attorney General's Office, said prosecutors have 30 days to decide whether to appeal the ruling.

"There is no question a bout Robert Keith Woodall's guilt in this case," Martin said.

Ralph Vick, the commonwealth attorney whose office prosecuted Woodall, also declined comment.

Woodall's attorney, David Harshaw, said the ruling wasn't a surprise. Depending upon appeals, it could be some time before Woodall returns to court for resentencing, he said.

"We could be talking a period of years," Harshaw said. "It's difficult to say."

Someone tell me why the death penalty should be overturned simply because it was an all white jury. The POS admitted to killing the girl...hell there was a 500 foot long blood trail from the van to the lake. He should have been taken straight to the chamber from the court room.
    edited November -1
    US's most powerful nuclear bomb being dismantled

AMARILLO, Texas (AP) - The last of the nation's most powerful nuclear bombs - a weapon hundreds of times stronger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima - is being disassembled nearly half a century after it was put into service at the height of the Cold War.

The final components of the B53 bomb will be broken down Tuesday at the Pantex Plant near Amarillo, the nation's only nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly facility. The completion of the dismantling program is a year ahead of schedule, according to the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration, and aligns with President Barack Obama's goal of reducing the number of nuclear weapons.

Thomas D'Agostino, the nuclear administration's chief, called the bomb's elimination a "significant milestone."

Put into service in 1962, when Cold War tensions peaked during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the B53 weighed 10,000 pounds and was the size of a minivan. According to the American Federation of Scientists, it was 600 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, killing as many as 140,000 people
    and helping end World War II.

The B53 was designed to destroy facilities deep underground, and it was carried by B-52 bombers.

With its destruction, the next largest bomb in operation will be the B83, said Hans Kristensen, a spokesman for the Federation of American Scientists. It's 1.2 megatons, while the B53 was 9 megatons.

The B53's disassembly ends the era of big megaton bombs, he said. The bombs' size helped compensate for their lack of accuracy. Today's bombs are smaller but more precise, reducing the amount of collateral damage, Kristensen said.

Since the B53 was made using older technology by engineers who have since retired or died, developing a disassembly process took time. Engineers had to develop complex tools and new procedures to ensure safety.

"We knew going in that this was going to be a challenging project, and we put together an outstanding team with all of our partners to develop a way to achieve this objective safely and efficiently," said John Woolery, the plant's general manager.

Many of the B53s were disassembled in the 1980s, but a significant number remained in the U.S. arsenal until they were retired from the stockpile in 1997. Pantex spokesman Greg Cunningham said he couldn't comment on how many of the bombs have been disassembled at the Texas plant.

The weapon is considered dismantled when the roughly 300 pounds of high explosives inside are separated from the special nuclear material, known as the pit. The uranium pits from bombs dismantled at Pantex will be stored on an interim basis at the plant, Cunningham said.

The non-nuclear material and components are then processed, which includes sanitizing, recycling and disposal, the National Nuclear Security Administration said last fall when it announced the Texas plant's role in the B53 dismantling.

The plant will play a large role in similar projects as older weapons are retired from the U.S.'s nuclear arsenal.
    edited November -1
    I know this will get poofed or locked quickly.
    But, why are we so unforgiving of someone's believe of a higher being, God? Why can't we just say: So be it if they belief in it and we don't. We get Homosexuality shoved don't our throats (figuratively, lol) and we are supposed to accept it, the media, government and Hollywood is running rampant with it (accept gay marriage). Some here even have showed some support over the issue. We wrestle with the Anti-gunners and Veg's., they wish to shove their belief's down our throats. We stand together in these belief's, or at least I assume we do.
    The question of life itself may never truly be understood the how's and why's (Sorry Stephen Hawking, I don't belief in you). The very existence is such a mystery, how could it not be so that maybe in the "Big Bang" that started it all, produced the almighty himself, and so the "Beginning". I've heard people state they believed in spirits/ghost, but not sure about God. If there is the possibility of any kind of entity, spirit or Aura, there must be the possibility of a supreme spirit, (my thoughts). I've heard people say that when they die, what they see of their life, how they lived, will be there Heaven or Hades, Look down from where?, if there is no God, no Heaven, there's nothing to look down from. We Accept the request for prayer, I do appreciate the ability of this forum to recognize this request at troubled times. If you don't belief in Prayer, good wishes or hopes are at least acknowledged.
    Didn't mean to get deep, But why can't we just acknowledge our belief in God and we'll try not to get too Preachering and the non-believers just move on to the next post if you don't share the belief or wish to get involved in the discussion, no different than if you don't want to get involved in a Glock, 1911 to mouse gun discussion.
    Just had to say it!
    edited November -1
    If you are a slobbering idiot & enter a cage or an enclosure containing a Tiger, Lion, Black Mamba, Gorilla. or any number of dangerous animals & get killed or injured. Why should the animal be killed for doing what it is programmed to do since birth? This even applies to pit bulls & other dogs. I just don't understand the reasoning for doing this.
    edited November -1
    I would like to know why people have to have 100 some odd pics in their signature?
    Click on a post, start to read it, finish one, scroll halfway down the flippin page to get to the next one cause someone decided to throw in 50 pics of whatever in their signature..

Geeeeeezzzzzz...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
    edited November -1
    What would the advantages to this conversion
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192117563

put it on watch list just to see if anybody bids
    edited November -1
    Why is this Florida murder trial news worthy?

We had a woman (not in our town) put her infant child in a washing machine, the baby died. That did not make a dent even in local news.

Could some one let me know why we have to have 24 hour coverage of the Anthony woman? The news folks go on and on about how pretty the little girl was, does that really matter?

I am just not understanding something.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Don't they make 4-ply toilet paper? Just think of how much we could save if we didn't have to fold it over itself once or twice.
    edited November -1
    Why do members engage trolls?...[xx(]
    edited November -1
    Why isnt E-bay or GB selling Glock airsoft guns anymore? The only one GB has is Glock 17L, and the training ones. Does anyone know why?
    edited November -1
    why on earth would anyone want to shoot a bear, deer is one thing but a bear? i just dont understand why you would want to kill a bear is the meat that good? or is it so you can tell people you shot a bear? i have news for you trophy hunts and safari's are about how much money you have not about hunting. i will remind you trophy hunters once again like some guy named steve says"it aint that hard to kill a really big animal with a really big gun" i know i will take heat for this but i dont care.unless someone convinces me otherwise i see no reason to go kill a bear thats not threating human life.
    edited November -1
    Why am I wasting a Saturday in the Forum? well number one its been raining off and on all day,(when it rains here ,too much lightening) No 2, Beth had to go to the grocery store and I hate that trip,(so I stay at home) cant stand to look in the basket and then the figures on the register (outrageous) very depressing indeed. [:p][:p]

CLASSIC the HOG OWNER biker
    pig.jpg
    "I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    Does this happen on other forums? this is the only forum that i participate in and this stuff is really getting old. i dont understand what enjoyment someone gets out of doing this
    edited November -1
    why does rum and mountain dew taste like crap and rum and coke taste so good? {ran out of coke,still couldn't get it down}
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Does anyone really give a rats tookus?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3728030.stm

topcat1.bmp Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
    edited November -1
    Do the batteries in the thermostat die on the coldest day of the year in the middle of the night?
    edited November -1
    Get up yhis morning at 5 am or so make a pot of coffee,feed my lil buddy oscar,leave wife a note where i,ll be,grab trusty ol 30-30,walk nearly 1\2 mile to my sweet spot on my property,by 8;30 see 7 deer,saw nice doe and she saw me at same time.placed crosshair on neck and proceeded to let her walk.Think my hunting days are done,i,m 84 now and like watchin em.Am i nut or what?Thanks,Paul
    edited November -1
    Why do topics get locked so that no one else can't reply to them?

Arielle

"I am the opposite of a stage magician... he gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth, I give you truth that has the appearance of illusion" Tennesee Williams
    edited November -1
    Why is it that we can never vote in someone who will honestly change things for the better?
    edited November -1
    Why are there so many ex Military guys that were Navy Seals , recon/snipers, or special forces (green Berets).. Seems I never meet any ordinary Seamen, Grunts, or support soldiers.. Who was doing all the other jobs?[:0]
    edited November -1
    With all the football post I have to ask......why is it that coaches only want "guys" on the team??????

when I was in high school I wanted to play I was good enough that I could of been on varsity however the coach wouldn't let me play. Said I couldn't cause I was a girl my hair was to long something else was to big and I was only 4'11" (so i was small) all of the guys wanted me to play.........who the hell gave him the right? do ya'll agree with that? would you let your daughter play?
    edited November -1
    Why is it on mornings I can sleep in, Fanci wont let me?...She bites my arm...not the "tougher part", but the part above my elbow....pull the covers up over and tuck them in and she gets under them...She will not leave me alone until I get up....

I get up and feed her/them, then lay on the couch or crawl back into bed and it starts all over again...or Lexi decides to lay on my chest and touch my face with her paw to get me to pet her...I really dont need a 10-11 pound cat on my chest...nooooooo thanks...gets heavy after a bit..

I could sleep till noon today, but ohhhhhh nooo, the flippin cats wont let me...
    edited November -1
    By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer Angela K. Brown, Associated Press Writer - Mon Aug 24, 11:06 pm ET

FORT WORTH, Texas - The skeletal remains of two infants have been found in a box and a storage container under an abandoned mobile home porch in rural northern Texas - a year after another baby's remains were discovered in a suitcase in a nearby field, officials said Monday.

The son of the land owner who rents mobile homes to several people on his 5-acre lot said he was cleaning Sunday when he found some bones in a box in a plastic bag and others in a plastic storage bin.

Authorities plan to compare the infants' DNA samples to that of the other baby whose remains were found last year in a suitcase in a field on the same lot, said Tarrant County Sheriff's Office spokesman Terry Grisham. In that case, the medical examiner was unable to determine a cause of death, and authorities had no leads because they could not identify the baby or say whether a crime had occurred, Grisham said.

Justin Southern said that when he saw the bag and storage container under the stairs, he remembered his father's gruesome discovery.

"That thought just flashed in my head, and I thought, 'Surely Lord, no - please' and I * that trash bag open," Southern said. "It's overwhelming. It's sad someone could even think about doing that to a baby."

The brother and sister who lived in the mobile home for about three years before recently moving out denied knowing anything about the remains found Sunday and said they were surprised to hear about the discovery, Grisham said. They have been cooperating with authorities and have not been charged with any crime, officials said.

Detectives also were trying to find out if anyone else stayed at the mobile home or lived there before the siblings, Grisham said.

Authorities were still investigating how and when the infants died, said Dr. Roger Metcalf of the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office. He said a report could take several days, but a cause of death may never be determined depending on the state of decomposition.

"We'll have to look at the evidence to see if it was a fetus, stillborn birth or was born alive," Metcalf told The Associated Press.

If the infants were born dead or died of natural causes, someone still could face charges. Texas law prohibits concealing a human corpse if someone knows it is not properly buried, and penalties for the Class A misdemeanor are up to a year in jail and maximum $4,000 fine.

Crime scene tape surrounded the gray mobile home Monday as county workers cut down 3- and 4-foot-high weeds and brush, and cadaver dogs searched the area for a couple of hours without finding anything. Some chairs remained on the front porch of the trailer near Rendon, a community about 20 miles south of Fort Worth.

"We're looking for any type of evidence such as clothing or any more remains," Grisham said. "We'll be out here as long as we need to be."

Bo Pavelka, 29, who lives across the street from the trailer, said he had seen a man play with a dog in the yard but had never talked to him.

"I'm curious and worried about who it is," said Pavelka, who has two young children and a third child on the way. "Is it some girl having a baby and then throwing it out, or someone taking babies? We need to find out what the hell is going on."

___

Associated Press videojournalist Rich Matthews in Rendon contributed to this report.

(This version CORRECTS that land owner's son found remains.)

If there was a pregnant girl living in the trailer, no one seen her after? no one asked about the baby?....or if a guy is just killing kids, no one seen the kids around there?...Have we learned to be blind to what is going on around us?...or is it Not my concern?
    edited November -1
    paboogers post about alias's and New Member Urassn9 made me wonder about this. We use WWW boards such as GB to communicate with fellow humans from around the world about all manner of topics. Which I find interesting, informative and often humorous. We can debate, share likes, dislikes and opinions on any subject matter we choose and never see each other.

These boards allow us to participate, in a removed sense, in one of the great social experiments, understanding different views and opinions. Mind you I did not say adopting different views and opinions. But it is possible that through this understanding process you can choose to change your position, views and opinions. After all, Is this not what we hope to do with the undecided or anti-gun person? Healthy debate is good for all, it puts a light on your position for inspection and is testimony to it's strength.

What I don't understand is why anyone would choose to get a second posting name so they can behave in a different manner.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
    edited November -1
    Article in the editorial section of today's AR. Dem/Gaz.

Cindy Sheehan asked President Bush, "Why did my son have to die in Iraq"??

Another mother asked Harry Truman, "Why did my son have to die in Korea"??

Another mother asked Franklin D. Roosevelt, "Why did my son have to die at Iwo Jima"??

Another mother asked Woodrow Wilson, "Why did my son have to die on the battlefield of France"??

Yet another mother asked Abraham Lincoln, "Why did my son have to die at Gettysburg"??

And yet another mother asked George Washington, "Why did my son have to die near Valley Forge"??

Then long, long ago, a mother asked, "Heavenly father, why did my son have to die on a cross outside Jerusalem"??

The answers to all these are similar: that others may have life and dwell in peace, happiness and freedom.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
    edited November -1
    Do some post take up my entire screen? I can see pics doing it but some post are unreadable unless I scroll to the right and back to the far left?
    edited November -1
    Why does our government waste money on illegal aliens to feed, house, educate and medicate them? Why do they bring these unvetted immigrants into this once great country to give them everything their hearts desire?

Our country has lost all respect and honor of other nations/peoples it ever had and is so close to, or on the edge, that we will never recover.

We need to help these people before we help all of the others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_l4Ab5FRwM
    edited November -1
    Black Friday saw a record number of gun transfers according to NICS. I am hearing that gun sales are going through the roof right now.

Why? Something pending that I am missing? Simply consumers turning loose with cash or is there something scaring folks into "buying while we still can?"
    edited November -1
    Why do men's hearts beat quicker, go weak in the knees, get dry throats and think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing!

BECAUSE SHE SMELLS LIKE A NEW TRUCK !!!
    edited November -1
    Was filling classic's thermos this morning (range morning) and when purchased it said to "activate" by pouring hot water into it, let is sit, then filly with desired beverage....

WHAT THE HELL FOR?...You are filling it with hot coffee,...why the need for hot water?....its not a hot/cold thermos, which by the way, tells you to "activate" by putting EITHER hot or cold water into it, depending on what you are going to put into it after...

The thermos is always washed after he uses it, rinsed then put away till needed again....when taken out, I rinse it out again, then start the "hot water activation" mode....that is so senseless....

Does anyone know why?...Cant the hot coffee activate it?....or is it just a manufacturers thing?.
    edited November -1
    can anyone explain to me the point of a bayonet lug on this?

http://www.pantherarms.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BA-A2AS-07
    edited November -1
    Does Coke taste so good with a splash o' Bourbon in it?
    edited November -1
    It's 1:50 am and I'm still awake. Why?

WHAT IS THIS EVIL CONSPIRACY THAT HAS BEFALLEN ME!?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    We do people dye their hair green, blue, pink, purple and other odd colors? I asked a few people and I got "I don't know".

Rob