In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR gas piston uppers worth the$$$$??

legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Are the new uppers worth the extra money? If you cant clean your gun for periods of 10,000+ rounds I can see it. But it looks like a fad that is becoming the norm i.e. Para,POF,Sig,Ruger

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, they are worth it because you are creating a more reliable rifle. Armalite of Costa Mesa did the same thing almost 50 years ago when they created the AR-18. Unfortunately, the Department of Defense had already committed to the AR-15.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Not worth the $$ when you can buy a SAR4800 for the same $$. Or a FNC to act as a host gun for a registered sear. Or a Daewoo DR200 or K2 for under $1k.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you know you're headed for a filthy combat situation, I can't see it being worth the $$. But, as always, you can do as you wish with your money. Recreational shooters are not likely to use an AR in a way which demands the level of durability/dependability attributed to the "piston operated" systems. If you'r e shooting just to hear the bang, what makes the diff if it stops making noise occasionally. After reading articles in magazines describing running"drills", most of these appear to be a simple waste of ammo and trigger time.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you going to do with this gas piston upper AR?
    I find it funny that people buy the most capable carbine/rifle for anything shooting related and then think they need to dump another 1 to 2,000.00 into it just so they can go shooting.