In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm Raising a *!

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Dogs dragged up a baby raccoon. Less than a week old it appears, no teeth, just gums. First one they've done that with. They kill all the 'possums or tree them untill I can help them escape over the fence.

Got the kitty milk, a tiny bottle, and for the past 24 hours have been watching Youtube instructional videos and listening to the trilling noise he makes.

After feeding him, I put him in a tee shirt where he's warm and goes to sleep.

What's really cool is the dogs and cats seem to like him alot. they'll come up and just look and sniff. I've left him in a deep box when I've gone outside and he's fine when I come back in.

Never had one this young. I've had them where someone else raise them from birth and ruined them by playing rough with them. I want this guy to learn to be and act like a dog.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool!!!!! Good luck with your new child, uh, pet, uh, well, good luck! [:D] That's a good thing you're doing!!!! [^]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have done this a few times with whole litters.

You need to watch out for distemper. It will kill the whole litter.

Neat animals that show a lot of affection for you.

Have fun.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    be careful very careful I had a friend that had a pet * was like a mild mannered Cat had the run of the house even went in litter box but they kept on a screen Porch when family was not at home one night the father came home from his job and * went crazy many stiches and lots of scares even today.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your compassion for a helpless creature. Some folks will kill a raccoon just because it's a raccoon.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Something about the title of your post:

Dats Racist!!!![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the advice.[:)]
    Keep it coming! Do cat distemper shots work on *? I buy the cat and dog shots at the feed store and administer them myself.

I've had a female before that got mean and I had to turn her aloose. I didn't get her until she was an adult however.
    Some is nature, some is nurture.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a pet Mexican raccoon, a coati mundi. Got him when he was about 4 weeks old.
    He was a pretty good pet, he was half tame and half wild. Never took him to the vet he was healthy.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rossowmn
    Thank you for your compassion for a helpless creature. Some folks will kill a raccoon just because it's a raccoon.

+1[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As 762 said, just wait until Al & Jesse sees this.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    wait till he steals your wallet[:0]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Neighbor lady always had them. Made good pets.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in the Atlanta area and was expecting something totally different.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My family has raised quite a number of them for over 150 yrs, some turned out good, some not so good [8)]......we've had lots of experience doing so [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats on the new pet they seem to make good pets for some
    We had one 30 some odd years ago called him cooners had him at least a year or two . he would come down out of the trees when I would come home run up to me like a dog
    he would run thru the house search my pockets and the couch , go to town on my moustache and head checking me all out . he would bite me playing but not hard , our first kid was a few years old he would play with the kid also
    one day he bit the wife and that scared her ( he had never played ruff with her very gentle was the rule ) she got worried about it hurting our kid
    lost a pet that day
    but its relatives would still knock on the back door bumming marshmallows up to when we moved away
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let it grow then make a nice hat out of it.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just take it to a Vet and get the shots it needs (the Vet will know which ones and when to give them).

I raised three of them after a Hurricane, man it's like having a tornado in your house full time, remember those little suckers have hands and nothing is safe from their grasp. They were a lot of fun but generally (and innocently) destructive.
    Good luck.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Do not give him a Rabies Shot
    it will Cause Rabies Live virus to Raccoon No No
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing, check your state laws. In my state keeping one is illegal unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. If it is illegal that limits who should know you have it, veterinarians may be required to report it.

Most that I have known at some point remember they are will animals, not domesticated and the change can be extremely unpleasant.

You might consider handing him to a rehabilitator with facilities to train him for release.

Mean time, have fun.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..What He Dog said. Not legal here. Still we raised one from
    bottle to solid food. We never got him house or litter trained.
    He'd foul his sleeping box and roll in the feces. We got real
    tired of giving him a bath every day and turned him over to a
    wildlife rehabilitator.