In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Memorial Day

vafrankovafranko Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
Memorial Day
c 2001 Luke, 3rd Grader, Academy Elementary School, Madison, Connecticut.

Remember the brave soldiers who gave their lives
For our freedom,
God Bless them all these courageous
Men and women.

They fought on land,
Others at sea,
Sacrificing their lives for
You and me.

Schools and offices respect these heroes
From the past,
By flying our beautiful flag
At half-mast.

As you watch the parade and hear
The trumpets play,
Please think about what we celebrate on
Memorial Day.

m10.jpg
m11.jpg
m12.jpg
m8.jpg
m9.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
m5.jpg
m6.jpg
m7.jpg

Comments

• vafrankovafranko Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To all of the veterans who have proudly served this country. The best country in the world:

THANK YOU, and may GOD bless you,

In HIS service,

Aaron
    edited November -1
    All gave some... A few gave all.

Thank you for serving.
    edited November -1
    So what are you doing for the day? How many of you out there know the reason for this holiday?

I see too many people just thinking it is just another Hallmark holiday.

Give us what the reason is and what you will be doing to honor the day.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    Please let us all take a minute to think about what today really means. Thank you.

Franko
    edited November -1
    A good day to pray for the souls and familys of those who gave all...
    For our Liberty.
    edited November -1
    This post is about the Men and Women that made the ultimate sacrifice and they're family , friends and loved ones that they left behind so we could have what we do and believe the way we want to. Let's take time this weekend to give Thanks or a Prayer for what they did for us. If you want to post they'er relation to you or just want to say THANK YOU TO ALL Please do so here. Please respect this and leave off your plugs on this one it's about Them not us . I myself have prayed for family members and all the others who gave us these rights , life and the faith that we have. THANK YOU.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    This is the only U.S. military firearm I own that might have actually seen combat. That 4/44 barrel date conjures up images of it going ashore at Omaha Beach... or maybe it rode around in a supply truck at Ft. Hood. Anyway, I thought it fitting to post it with a big thanks to all who served and especially those who paid the highest price for our freedom.

standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]peleliu56.jpg

The Marine on the right...Pfc. Robert Britt, Albany, New York. KIA on Peleliu while trying to rescue his mortally wounded Lt.
    edited November -1
    Copied from facebook

Here's some ground rules for this weekend:
    1. Don't wish me a Happy Memorial day. There is nothing happy about brave men and women dying.
    2. It's not a holiday. It's a remembrance.
    3. If you want to know the true meaning, visit Arlington or your local VA, not freaking Disneyland.
    4. Don't tell me how great any one political power is. Attend a Bell Ceremony and shed some tears.
    5. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I have seen those who've taken the burden all too many times for my warriors who now stand their post for God.
    6. Say a prayer... and then another.
    7. Remember the Fallen for all the Good they did while they were here.
    8. Reach out and let a Vet know you're there.

5CB3A441-C27B-444F-BC5D-C2C0C75E87A6_zpsml7bgt2i.jpg
    edited November -1
    History

In the North

Copying a practice that began in the Southern states,[19][20][21] on May 5, 1868, in his capacity as commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, the veterans' organization for the Union, General John A. Logan issued a proclamation calling for "Decoration Day" to be observed annually and nationwide.[7] It was observed for the first time that year on Saturday May 30; the date was chosen because it was not the anniversary of any particular battle.[22] According to the White House, the May 30 date was chosen as the optimal date for flowers to be in bloom.[23]

In the South

A Memorial Day holiday was in practice in the South since 1866.[28][29] The U.S. National Park Service, as well as numerous scholars, attribute its beginning to the ladies of Columbus, Georgia.[30][31][32][33][34][35] Originally called "Memorial Day," the Southern commemoration appended the label "Confederate" to the title when northerners co-opted the holiday in 1868.

More at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day
    edited November -1
    The day we remember those who passed while in service of their country.

Veterans Day: the day we remember those still here who are or who have served this country.
    edited November -1
    Thank You to the vets before and after me,my mind carries the weight of those who served with me and didn't come home.Please gentlemen remember our fallen brothers and pray for our country
    edited November -1
    Was honored today by being able to be grand marshall in our small town parade and further honared by being able and privileged to present wreath to the heros who didnt make it home.I wore my old dress uniform with my euopean and pacific campaigns medels along with my 2 purple hearts[yes uniforms still fit and looks good]Just after presenting wreath to the dead i had a youth come up to me why my head was still bowed and said [cool uniform pops,how many people you recon you killed]I only hope to god this young man never has to go thru what some had too,still brings tears to my eyes 60 + years later.Dont righty know how many i killed and not proud to admit any,many times i was firing while running to keep my scared butt alive.Remember those who have fallen and those of us that are thinning out every day,Thanks,Paul 101st infantry div.
    edited November -1
    I've noticed memorial day means a lot more to some people, typically staff NCO's and other senior military members more than juniors and NCO's. I guess it's because they've lost friends. I haven't lost any that I know of but I do have a couple buddies in Afghanistan right now that could probably use prayers. So if you will, pray for my friends so their families have more than just memories next year. Thank you.

Alex was in my platoon in boot camp. We both got injured around the same time and got to know each other pretty well in the 11 or so weeks we spent together in various medical platoons. I always thought of frogs when he would put on his glasses, our glasses were huge and our heads were shaved so I'm sure I looked the same. He has a high school sweetheart from Mexico and bought a house in Texas with his dad last year. He's almost done with his tour, so please pray for him to get home safe.

Andre was my roommate and just recently went to Afghanistan. He's a goofy little Navajo kid from "the res" he called it. My most vivid memory of him is when he came home in bad shape after a night of drinking, could hardly talk. he kept asking me for help, he wanted to go home. He won't be home for a while yet, he's got about a year in afghanistan left. this kid needs your prayers especially, please pray for him to have a safe year and be comforted while he's away from his family.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be thinking about all day[:D]quote:Originally posted by vafranko
    Please let us all take a minute to think about what today really means. Thank you.

Franko

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Mad_moose.gifDiani.gif