In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice old sxs

kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=20009912 Sos what do you think the reserve is [?][:D]

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Mad_moose.gifDiani.gif

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we own at least 6 guns made in PHILADA between 1836-1899, and not a single one has the city spelled out PHILADELPHIA. i have handled, cleaned, appraised, researched, or fondled at least 2 dozen more (JACOB RUPERTUS, KOLB, SEDGLEY, HENRY DERINGER, etc...). i have never seen a full out spelling of the city on any of them. 99% of the pieces i have handled are marked PHILADA. there are other simaler shortened abbrieviations, but i cannot recall a full spelling.

i took a few pieces from my personal collection out for examination, and they are all PHILADA marked. i am a bit dubious as to the origin and authenticity of this piece. while its an older gun, i think that perhaps its been "gilded" or had some engraving added late in the game by someone less then honest. at the very least, it may be a foriegn product marked PHILADELPHIA to help it sell in the US market.

something about this gun just rings wrong on my detectors.
    just some random input...
    best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In "Flayderman's Guide" ( 8th Edition ), he notes that "R. Constable" was a well known Philadelphia gunsmith.

He is primarily known for his Henry Deringer type pocket pistols, although he also made dueling pistols.

His known barrel markings were "R. Constable Philadelphia", ( Philadelphia is spelled out as a complete word ).

Nothing is mentioned about any shotguns made by him.

It's always possible the shotgun at auction was made for Constable to sell under his name, or a Belgian Knock-Off, but being percussion it seems a little early for that.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUFE...

i tend to agree with you, but there is just something about this piece that bothers me...

an 8-BORE punt gun is a working mans daily tool. i think that it would be a much more plain and undecorated piece.

cant quite put my finger on it though.

i believe that the gunsmith / maker you mentioned is known for his SINGLE SHOT FLINTLOCK PISTOLS wich are BRITISH proofed, having been assembled largely from imported BRITISH PARTS. i have not seen martial type pistols bearing the markings you refer to(not yet anyway), and i think he did some cased pairs of elaborate dueling pistols as well.

he may have made some percussion pistols towards the end of his career, or oversaw apprentices who produced simaler guns under his supervision and using his name.

i also could not find any referance to long arms or shotguns.

i was not drawing from referance works, simply expressing an opinion (educated guess) based on experiance and anecdotal data. i will check my books tonight at the shop.

if you find some additional data please let me know what and were.

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought someone was saying nice things behind my back [V].

Rather cool to see the work that was put into some of the old guns , missing unless you drop some serious jack today . SxS

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr mike and rufe snow . Thanks for the input . I learn alot around here. I think i will pass on this one

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Mad_moose.gifDiani.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your a good guy sxs[:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by SXSMAN
    I thought someone was saying nice things behind my back [V].

Rather cool to see the work that was put into some of the old guns , missing unless you drop some serious jack today . SxS

Have guns,will travel

Mad_moose.gifDiani.gif