In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver...

emeraldsgunsemeraldsguns Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
If I want to get a revolver, not snubby, then what does everyone suggest?

Catburglar.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Do you have a preference on Caliber and Barrell length?

What are you going to use it for?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    not neccesarily (sp) Maybe try some cowboy action or just plinking

Catburglar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Price limit?

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger vaquero in .357 Magnum. Then you can shoot .38 special out of it, too.

cat.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no price really. Maybe 7 or 800

Catburglar.jpg
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you're planning on using it for. Also, do you want a new one or a used one. New Smith & Wessons are probably all around the best taking everything into consideration, like quality, workmanship, reliability and price for new revovlers. If you're talking used ones, Colt's Python is quite possibly the best .357Mag. revolver ever made. New Taurus revolvers are actually pretty good especially considering their lower cost. Ruger makes some good ones too. As far as brand new guns go, Smith & Wesson gets my vote especially since they're an American company once again.

This is one of the finest revolvers money can buy and it's really not that expensive considering:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&item=1207358&sw_activeTab=1

If you're thinking single action cowboy style, I agree with the posters who mentioned the Ruger Vaquero. For all around safety and reliability and a great price, the Ruger New Vaquero is probably your best bet and in .357Mag. it's versatile with the ability to shoot .38Spl. for plinking.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5106&return=Y
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doesn't Colt still make a SA revolver?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fishermanben: Yes, Colt still makes the Single Action Army but they're expensive and usually hard to come by (production is low). The Ruger New Vaquero at $500.00 to $600.00, with it's modern transfer bar safety (allowing you to carry with all 6 chambers loaded), loading gate cylinder stop release (allowing you to load and unload without half cocking) and reverse index pall (allowing perfect chamber alignment for quick unloading) is all in all the best Colt SAA style revolver available.
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you want a good, strong revolver that's accurate get a Ruger. If you want a nicely finished, good shooting revolver get a S&W. The 357 is a good all around cartrige. I would recommend a double action revolver personally unless you want to do cowboy shooting exclusively. A Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 would be fine choices. If single action no other but the Vaquero is my recommendation.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    S&W mod 27 in 357 magnum the 6 inch model have one and love it.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder

"Are you a photographer?"
    "No im a combat correspondant"
    "Well you seen much combat?"
    "Yeah I seen a little on TV"
    "Youre a real comedian"
    "Well they call me the Joker"
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I just picked up an EAA Bounty Hunter Big Bore,They are made in Germany, nice looking gun, case colored receiver and 8 inch barrel.. .45 Long colt, single action[:D].. I believe you can get one new in box in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range..

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    An older Colt Python .357, 4 or 6" is the standard that all other revolvers are judged against. So why get one of the wannabees?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooter4
    An older Colt Python .357, 4 or 6" is the standard that all other revolvers are judged against. So why get one of the wannabees?

beacause if he wants to get into reloading and put real serious loads in it it will take the python apart. that's why you go with a smith 27,28 ; a ruger or a dan wesson. the will handle the toughest loads. they also don't start at $650+ used like the python. BTW i do have one 4" python so i agree they are nice.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends what you want to do with it.

Smith 686 is sort of the standard functional "all purpose" .357 magnum revolver. Short of hunting really big game, it will do anything you'd need a revolver to do. Colt python is slicker and more classy, but also more fragile and pricey.

But actually, if I could only have one non-snubby wheelgun, I'd pick the Smith 629 in .44 Magnum. Remember, you can always load with lesser rounds, but you can't increase the power in lesser guns if you want to shoot metallic silhouettes or big game.
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I love my S&W model 19. Its accurate, has a smooth trigger and cost me around $200. IMO you cant beat that price for a gun like that.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Depends what you want to do with it.

Smith 686 is sort of the standard functional "all purpose" .357 magnum revolver. Short of hunting really big game, it will do anything you'd need a revolver to do. Colt python is slicker and more classy, but also more fragile and pricey.

But actually, if I could only have one non-snubby wheelgun, I'd pick the Smith 629 in .44 Magnum. Remember, you can always load with lesser rounds, but you can't increase the power in lesser guns if you want to shoot metallic silhouettes or big game.

Yeah the 44 is my personal favorite too. I use Rugers instead only because I push pretty extreme loads and have loosened up the Smiths. Currently have 3 Rugers and 4 Smiths (all in 44 mag).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It looks like Ruger is first choice of most then Smith?

Catburglar.jpg
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Put me down for an itty-bitty little ugly ol' Colt Python.

Colt%20Pyton%20Close%20Front%20SM.JPG

Colt%20Python%20OEM%20Rightsmall.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Smith has more history behind it [myt impression].

There is a huge Smith following; never saw that with a Ruger [I've had two great Rugers, but no Smith].

I do want a 629-1 Smith, .44 mag, 3" BBL.
    That is the one revolver I'd pick. You can reload a zillion ways, and never blow it apart.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by emeraldsguns
    It looks like Ruger is first choice of most then Smith?

Catburglar.jpg

Rugers are stronger (good if you like overpowered handloads and lots of shooting), and somewhat less expensive.

Smiths have better triggers and are considered by most to be more "classy". There is a much greater variety of Smiths to choose from (new and used).

I personally prefer Smiths, but have nothing against Rugers either. You pretty much can't go wrong with either one.
  • Options
    macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are thinking about a single action. I recomend the Ruger Blackhawk. I have a pair for cowboy shooting. I couldn't get a matched pair of 357 vaqueros back in Feb. New style 357 vaqueros are still hard to come by. I shoot light 38s for cowboy and 357 mag for bowling pins. One thing that makes the blackhawk more versatile is the adjustable sights. No problem with SASS, it just puts you in a different catagory.
    Marc