In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Idiots at HD

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Went in to get the front mount for my Heritage classic Saddlebags. Told them I wanted the Rubber Isolator. Just dumb looks and then they ask is it stock.

Finally told them to get the parts book for that year and go to the Saddlebags area. They show me the book finally. Then the guy tells me that that part is not rubber.

So I ask him is it in stock, yep was his answer. So told him to get it. When He came Back then asked him again is that rubber.

They even had a hard time finding the sparkplugs for my bike. The stock plugs.

The old parts guys were gone had an all new crew, at least the old guys could find your parts.

Tried to order the stock Baffels for my stock exhaust, they no longer sell them cause of the new laws and the old ones like mine were to loud. Great I changed out my Baffels cause they were to quiet( I had drilled them out some but that was not a good sound, thats why I needed the new ones), but the new ones are getting on my nerves.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    apparently the register (associate) positions at walfart were full
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's the over prescribing of psycho tropic drugs like Ritalin....I can't handle stupidity anymore, my tolerance level has faded with age
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Should have seen me trying to leave. People who wonder around and keep getting in my way really pisses me off.

Guy comes out of a Side Isle and stops right in front of me , so I step right to go around him he steps right. so I go left, But just then something caught his eye to the left. tried one more time to the right he decided that what was on the left did not interest him so off agian to the right. Then I just walked thru him.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Should have seen me trying to leave. People who wonder around and keep getting in my way really pisses me off.

Guy comes out of a Side Isle and stops right in front of me , so I step right to go around him he steps right. so I go left, But just then something caught his eye to the left. tried one more time to the right he decided that what was on the left did not interest him so off agian to the right. Then I just walked thru him.

that drives me insane...I usually say to them...pick a f-ing lane...I don't tolerate people and their stupid lil worlds anymore
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There are two types of learned intelligence...One is from books, the other is from actual hands on..

Sounds like you got the "from the books" type..

Give me the guy/girl that has worked on cars/bikes/trucks/guns/houses/ whatever for years..he/she is light years beyond the "book taught person".
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its not about years experience working on bikes, or being book taught. its knowing your trade. i worked in a bike shop. it is sad, old timers who know bikes as if it was a medical science are departing earth too fast. and too...people who know how to reference books are leaving too. key word here...books.
    i knew counter guys who knew part numbers by heart. they could walk down aisles blindfolded and find a part. they use to know a -1 from a -2 anything. they were just as important to wrench twisters and good at it.
    problem is...new people dont have books and pics, they have computers. and computers are onlyas smart as the person who programs it....miles away.
    old dealers use to have books with notes taped in the pages to make corrections. remember the old ham radios? dealers who didnt know a trick part request, would call another dealer on the 'horn' to get some advise or the part.
    the system worked. hd is experiencing what everyone else is. they have become too dependant on techno progress and lost common sense. theyve lost touch with the product. remember how you adjusted carbs by putting your hand over the exhaust to feel pressure? and then it backfired? ahh, the joy of being an old guy.
    dont have the answer for you guys. im old school. just remember that the next time you see an old guy at hd. find one and hang around him. ride with one. you might learn something.[^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have bought a Honda. [:D][}:)]
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hondas break too my friend. only to find old honda parts today, will send you searching in europe! i found rings for one of my bikes in the netherlands of all places.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Must be that cycle of the moon.

Idiot driving a U-haul passed me in I 81 in Virginia, flying low. Couple of miles down the road they blew a tire and instead of pulling off the road, they simply stopped, blocking the left lane, got out and were milling around. Lots of tire smoke.
    Dialed that emergency number on my cell and slowly and plainly described what I saw and where, 1 vehicle blocking the fast lane, debris and people in roadway I 81, southbound side, mile marker 111. She kept insisting I was on I 64. Hope the highway patrol figured it out and got it untangled before someone got killed.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

That's usually about the time I adopt a "two hand hold". I reach out with both hands and grab a hold, then I move them where I want them. It can actually get their attention.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dealership probably cut back on labor,because the old guys topped out on the pay scale.The replacement labor is much cheaper and have no idea what a bike part is. Its happening in all business,welcome to "Bonzo Country"[:o)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:old dealers use to have books with notes taped in the pages to make corrections. remember the old ham radios? dealers who didnt know a trick part request, would call another dealer on the 'horn' to get some advise or the part.

Old dealers DIDNT have notes taped in to make corrections...They learned by DOING....They found the part on the shelves by memorization of WHERE It was before..

There are many many OLD repair guys who couldnt even read,...explain how they got so good....They got good by DOING..not reading.
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly parts guy related, but a lot of the old brilliant motorcycle mechanics have gone the way of the shade tree car mechanics. Fuel injection and computerized technology have passed them by.

But so far there are enough "vintage" bikes to keep them going.

I hope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To make matter even worse while I was looking for work I Saw the ad for Parts Help needed at that dealership and applyied. I know the parts or know where to look for them.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    When the old "micro fish" left the parts counter,so did easily found parts.
    SAD...
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH NO!

You may absolutely never disgrace the Harley Davidson name under any circumstance!

Seriously- Its just tough to find good help anywhere these days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another dealer North of me has a great Parts counter, but Idiot mechs in their service department.

I should have went there for my part, but 60 miles one way for a $3 part is a little much.

Now I do need a new windsheild so may make the trip for that and my 20% military discount. Plus that dealer is 10% cheaper normally than the one near me so its like getting a 30% discount.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Say you wanted a baffle. What is a baffle? My FLHT has Kirker Exhaust with fish tail end caps and NO baffling.[;)] Seriously though if you add more baffling you might have to re-jet if a carb model or adjust the EFI if so equipted to make up for the added back pressure. Seriously I am running straight through with no baffles at all and have not had any problems with LEOs yet and it has been that way since 1992.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of years ago I fell in love with a HD Softtail Custom and made up my mind to buy one. The more I thought about the price of $16,000 for a friggin bike the more I looked at buying another jap bike. I bought a new Yamaha V-Star for less than half the price of that HD. SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for a plain jane motorcycle with no accessories on it, no bags no nothing! Ohh well, my V-Star has bags, windshield, big comfy seat, rides nice with no vibrations and it only cost me $7K off the showroom floor. That softtail sure looked nice but the Yamaha is just as good and cheaper.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Most dealerships now don't stock parts other than brake pads and oil filters. I buy parts online and get faster free shipping and a 20%-50% discount. I only go to the Harley store now, to measure parts on their bikes so I can alter them to fit whatever I'm working on at the time. I hate when they say, "it won't fit that model.".

"I have a torch, welder, mill and lathe amigo, any part will fit if you'd just hand it to me and stop talkin' out your pan-hole"
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    For you fools out there that couldn't find a fender if it was swingin' its' way to your left ear; look for a small badge, sign or poster that says,"Rally Rats" somewhere near the Parts counter before you freakin' ask a single question! The Rally Rats are a collection of parts chasers and very knowledgeable wrenchheads who split their regular jobs to be the best you can get at Rallies (like Sturgis...)and can also suggest which parts you DON'T need. (unless you're some kinda prik, and have a lathe, milling machine, foundry and factory in yer garage or more dollars than sense.)
    When you get a fully-trained and knowledgeable parts guy; DON'T abuse yer new-found friend because he/she might be in a foul mood due to all of the Chromosexuals, Phony "Builders", asshats and know-it-notz they've had to deal with.
    My li'l Bro is one such Rally Rat, and will be at your service just North of Sturgis all month. Come get eddicated!
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    There are two types of learned intelligence...One is from books, the other is from actual hands on..

Sounds like you got the "from the books" type..

Give me the guy/girl that has worked on cars/bikes/trucks/guns/houses/ whatever for years..he/she is light years beyond the "book taught person".

I worked in an auto parts store one summer during college. I know very little about cars, but I could find anything in that rack of books. It's all about the attitude - you want to know if it's rubber, let's pull one and look at it.

As little as I knew about it, the only problem I had was when a guy brought in something wrapped in newspaper, plopped it on the counter and said "I need one of these." I said, "no problem, what is it?" He said "I forget what you call it." I asked what it came off of, and he said "an old tractor." I asked him what kind of tractor, and he said he didn't know. I asked if he could tell me anything else that might help me find it in the parts book, and he said "it goes behind the {something else that meant nothing at all to me}." Other than that I was able to help all the other customers with book knowledge and a customer service attitude.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    Say you wanted a baffle. What is a baffle? My FLHT has Kirker Exhaust with fish tail end caps and NO baffling.[;)] Seriously though if you add more baffling you might have to re-jet if a carb model or adjust the EFI if so equipted to make up for the added back pressure. Seriously I am running straight through with no baffles at all and have not had any problems with LEOs yet and it has been that way since 1992.

The new twin Cams do not run right without some sort of baffle, they need back pressure, some not a lot. To get mine to run right with the morte open baffle I have now I will need to add a tuner to the system. since the EFI the way it is cannot be adjusted enough to mke the bike run right.

I did try running with out the baffle and yes it was loud but I had to keep the RPMS up to keep my power and even then It was down enough HP I could feel it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:posted by grumpygy:
    The new twin Cams do not run right without some sort of baffle, they need back pressure, some not a lot. To get mine to run right with the morte open baffle I have now I will need to add a tuner to the system. since the EFI the way it is cannot be adjusted enough to mke the bike run right.

I did try running with out the baffle and yes it was loud but I had to keep the RPMS up to keep my power and even then It was down enough HP I could feel it. quote:

The fact they have to have some baffling AND I have no frioggin clue as to working on EFI systems is the main reason I have not bought a new one. I might have to some day unless I can find a side car for mione due to my back but until that day I will keep my evo.

gunnut505 can you PM me a shop number that has the "rally rats" sticker at the parts counter? None here in KY and I need a part that is very hard to find. I need a NEW 15" windshield for a 85 FLHT and they were ONLY used on the 85 year models and as an option at that. Most had the 18" windshield unless you ordered the 15" one. I would like to call a shop that has the "ralley rats" to see if they can find me one. Needless to say HD no longer stocks the 15" one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You can get a 15" windsheild at a lot of places.

Just ordered a 17" from J&P CYCLES. Mine had way to many scratches, been riding at sunup to get to work and cannot see a thing thru it. Thats also why I went with a 17" so I can see over it. My stock one I would need to stand up on the floorboards.

I am also not thinking of New exhaust and a power commander which would let me tune the Bike the way I want.

Then next winter go for a change to gear drive cams instead of the chain drive it has now. Of course I will chan ge the cams while I'm in there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried some of the universal fit windhields and they will not bolt up right. Mine takes one that was ONLY used on the 85 model year. I have a lead on one that the company will drill the holes to fit if I send them a pattern. Might be what I will have to do.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an old Yamaha Seca 750. I got it running and wanted the dealer to check the valve clearance because it used shims. The dealer would not work on it because it was too old. I offered to pay first, but no good. They do not want old bikes in the shop.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine just went to the local dealer to get a turn signal bulb. He was told that it would have to be special ordered. WTH? You would think that they would stock something as common as turn signal bulbs. He ended up going to Advance Auto and bought a box of them.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My last new Harley I bought from Killeen Harley Davidson in Killeen Texas back in 1983.

I was buying a brand new 1984 XLX 1000cc Sportster. They told me it was one of the first sold in the state. I was sitting there waiting for it to be serviced, and I saw their mechanic (Owners son) almost doing a wheel stand down the side of the shops parking lot on a brand new black XLX. I looked at the salesman and asked him sternly if that was my new bike being abused? He looked puzzled, and said "NO that's another bike they are working on." I asked him how many like that did they have, because you had told me that you only had one, and not many had been sold yet!

When I left there I had two brand new helmets, a bunch of Harley patches & pins, ball cap, and a brand new $100 cobra seat all for free. The owner was severally ticked off at his stupid son, but not enough to give me a free leather jacket.[:p]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Your best bet during the next 2 weeks (Sturgis) is Black Hills H-D in Rapid City. Yes, they're on Harley Drive. All the Rally Rats are there.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been lucky I have made a connection with two parts guys at one of out HD dealers and one guy at the other dealer. All three of them seem to know their business.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wonder why I don't have these problems with my metric bikes?