In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many AR uppers without lowers ya got?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
I keep telling myself that I can own a unique upper without having to have a lower receiver for each one just use one of the other lowers and swap tops.

HAHAHAHA I can't do it, every time I get an upper I have to build out a lower I just can't seem to make myself believe that it is OK to have a half a gun.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's more than "OK"... It's COMMON PRACTICE..
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    none, now if you turn that question around then yes I have a problem

if I was in 3 gun competition I could see having a spare, other than that im kind of funny about it, all my lowers and uppers match brands {no franken guns}, and lowers are cheap enough to build why not have a full gun in a shtf situation
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zip/nada.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I keep telling myself that I can own a unique upper without having to have a lower receiver for each one just use one of the other lowers and swap tops.

HAHAHAHA I can't do it, every time I get an upper I have to build out a lower I just can't seem to make myself believe that it is OK to have a half a gun.

Okay I've been gone for two weeks what did you do now?
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time a ban was discussed they talked about taxing you $200 for each rifle (lower) that you have. I decided to have two lowers. One is a mil spec with A2 stock. The other is a Mag Tactical lightweight lower with 6 position buttstock. Both have high end custom triggers. Since then I got one other lower that has a cmc trigger and bump-fire stock on it. I have uppers in 3x 5.56 2x 7.62x39 a 300 blackout, 45 auto, and 22 LR. My next build will be a 6.5 grendel.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I actually have an even amount. I just have to assemble 2 of the lowers.

I am assembling 1 for the wife, taking my current 5.56 upper, replacing all the furniture with Muddy Girl Camo parts and giving that too my wife to shoot. I am going to assemble the other lower for another 5.56 for myself. I am using a nickel boron pin kit and BCG for that one and duracoating the lower and possibly the stock in a gray.

Jon
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have more lowers than uppers.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    I have more lowers than uppers.

+1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOL made that upper that didn't count into #98!

quote:Originally posted by hdcolt51

Okay I've been gone for two weeks what did you do now?
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few ...

a couple uppers that are pretty much exclusively for my M16, a couple are pistons ... are I also have a few lowers in the safe that I built with no particular upper in mind. I picked them up because I liked the roll mark. They have nicer triggers ... 2 are pistol lowers and 2 of are SBR'd so I can put any upper on them.

A also have a couple alternates lowers for my HK ...

PB12090145.jpg
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder with the record number of guns that have been sold under this DEMOCRAT POSTUS have been AR lowers?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have to set up sights/scope each time you use those flat tops?

quote:Originally posted by kimberkid
    A few ...

a couple uppers that are pretty much exclusively for my M16, a couple are pistons ... are I also have a few lowers in the safe that I built with no particular upper in mind. I picked them up because I liked the roll mark. They have nicer triggers ... 2 are pistol lowers and 2 of are SBR'd so I can put any upper on them.

A also have a couple alternates lowers for my HK ...

PB12090145.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You were asking Kimberkid but on mine any sighted upper remains zeroed as long as the sights are left alone.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    You were asking Kimberkid but on mine any sighted upper remains zeroed as long as the sights are left alone.

Have you tried the same upper on two different lowers? What were the results? Thanks.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And a couple of those flat tops had no sights so I assume when you move one to a lower you have to re-sight it
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And a couple of those flat tops had no sights so I assume when you move one to a lower you have to re-sight it

My experience has been the same as steve45, the lower doesn't matter as long as the sights are left alone, additionally I've found that when a scope or red dot is zeroed to an AR upper, moving to another AR upper it's not zeroed but it's pretty close, usually within 2-3 inches at 100
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know that it matters but all my flattops have free floated barrels. It doesn't matter what lower they are attached to, as long as the sights aren't disturbed they are correctly zeroed. My two A2 uppers (old style built in handle) are in .45 and 7.62x39 I haven't bench rested them but they are always minute of can at 50 yards with either lower.quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77

Have you tried the same upper on two different lowers? What were the results? Thanks.

Jon
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the other way. Got more lowers (excluding the three I just got). Now if I just got more money I can fix this.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have more lowers than uppers myself. I think I have 2 or 3 stripped lowers in the safe. I suppose I ought to look. [:I]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 it's in 6.8SPC. I also have 2,000 rounds of 6.8 on hand and 1 rifle that is factory 6.8