Red Cross restructuring and layoffs.

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
This "great charity" is restructuring and laying off employees in a move to be more effecient. This years restructuring will save $80 MILLION dollars.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Red-Cross-overhaul-job-cuts-aim-to-bolster-work-2297714.php#photo-1802451

This leaves one wondering much donation funding the Red Cross spends on emplyee salaries and benefits besides the horribly huge salary Gail McGovern gets?
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It not bother me in the least if that scam of an operation went belly up for good.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    It not bother me in the least if that scam of an operation went belly up for good.

I agree with your post 100%. [^]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Ever notice when the news covers a disaster like a tornado or flood that the Red Cross always parks their trucks and trailers in a fashion so that they are always in the video shots.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,806
    edited November -1
    That monster has a lot of heads. ...Or councils and boards and what_naught.

They did help me out once when I was overseas. Although they did ask a lot of "nosey" questions...
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    bet they canned a lot of WORKERS and left the bigwigs salaries alone
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    The Red Cross seems to work pretty well for the Military, at least it did when I was in. I used to donate.

On one of my few trips back to L.A. I saw a family standing on a street corner in Pasadena. Mom Pop and the three kids, partly dressed in Pajamas. I stopped and asked them if they needed a hand. A wild fire had caught them unprepared and they had to hike out with whatever they were wearing. I loaded them up into my rental car and said we are going to have to call the Red Cross, Pop says, we already did and they said we weren't qualified. For lack of a better idea, I drove them to a Salvation Army retail store to ask what to do. They took charge. Got them dressed, set up a Motel for them, fed them and started calling for them, trying to sort out their finances etc. I left my fun money in the donation can. No exotic hookers that trip, but money well spent anyway.

Funniest part of the whole thing was, when I went into a rant and a rampage, I ended up on the phone with an old girlfriend, who was in the inner circle. The last thing she wanted to do was talk to me for numerous reasons[:D]. She ended up being transferred to New Mexico as part of the cover up. This family wasn't alone or unique, the Red Cross regional office was in affluent part of town and rolling in cash, they didn't want to part with, no way no how.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Red Cross story.

We had just gotten a new CO in my overseas unit, when the Red Cross showed up with another drive. All but two guys submitted to the extortion, and those two dug in on principle. The CO asked the rest of us to contribute on the behalf of those two, but we would not, backing them up in their personal decisions. The Red Cross officials then apparently told the green CO that if he could not motivate the unit to come up with 100% contributions, that it showed poor leadership on his part, and that they would report it.

The CO knuckled, and announced that he was pulling everybody's pass until 100% contributions were achieved. After being restricted for 40 days, five of us got together and drew straws. We boosted the 'short straw' over the fence that night. Three days later (our unit was remotely located), he reappeared in a staff car, with the Inspector General. Our CO was relieved, and the Red Cross officials, which were two men and a woman who were staying in the Officer's BOQ's, were ejected from the Post. Our old CO, who never took any crap from the Red Cross, was returned to us until another Officer was found to fill the slot.
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

This "great charity" is restructuring and laying off employees in a move to be more effecient. This years restructuring will save $80 MILLION dollars.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Red-Cross-overhaul-job-cuts-aim-to-bolster-work-2297714.php#photo-1802451

This leaves one wondering much donation funding the Red Cross spends on emplyee salaries and benefits besides the horribly huge salary Gail McGovern gets?

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses.
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you'r going to ruffel SF's feathers again[:D][:D][:D]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never given a dime to the Red Cross, and never will.
    Having said that, I will be IBTL that is upcoming![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I'd expect ARC to play it that way. nothing less.

Don't need many workers ... it is most improtant to protect the cash flow to the figure heads ... that is and always hs been the purpose of the ARC.

Flash, bang and NO thanks Mam!

They make it to the show and tell ... and then make it post-haste right on down the street to the bank ... to withdraw the donations. Not a hing else to it at all. [:0] [V] [:(] [:(!] [B)]
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 11,311
    edited November -1
    Here's another way to play the game if you get pressured by your bosses to participate in any kind of paycheck deduction for a charity. In the military, we got all kinds of pressure to participate in CFC. Sure, it was "voluntary", but watch how fast your fitreps go downhill if you are seen as a non-team player. I talked to another service member who I always witnessed signing up for huge deductions when these azzhats put pressure on for 100% unit participation. He said, "Easy. I sign up very openly in full view of the boss/CO. Then, a day after they turn it in to Finance/Payroll I go down and cancel it." The boss/CO sees only the signup. The cancellation is done in private. I had to hand it to him. The leeches got nothing and he got no negative repercussions from the CO. [:D]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The red cross is a political machine of the left. They won't ever get a dime of my money voluntarily.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you were ever in Vietnam you will never give the RED CROSS a dime SOB[:(!][V] wanted to charge more for coffee then Starbucks . Salvation Army gave theirs away.[^] also held every G.I.with a death at home with Family member Hostage to extortion.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 13,200
    edited November -1
    Same in Korea plus they had an attitude.
    You can believe it was our supplies they were selling to us.
    Another scam over there was the British Commonwealth Brigade NAAFI House (their PX).
    They sold sandwiches that were only half a sandwich. They were so thin you could look through them.
    The Commonwealth Brigade was under supplied in everything.
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • azpowerwagonazpowerwagon Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a lesson in the red cross when I was in grade school(1950's). My dad took that donation pin off my shirt and proceeded to tell me how the red cross wanted to sell the boxes that were put together state side by volunteers that were told the boxes were given free to the military.
    He was a CB in the south pacific and his mom and sister were some of the volunteers. The red cross was not welcomed when they showed up. Although they did manage to leave some 'donations' behind.[:D]
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,806
    edited November -1
    So basically they are another Jew pyramid scheme charading as Christian...?
    edited November -1
    I used their help once in the mod 70's to get home to a dieing relative, while I was in the military. Maybe I just got lucky, but they set me up all the way home, scheduling flights, tickets waiting for me, priority travel.

My youngest brother got caught in a flood, I didn't hear from him for weeks, Red Cross got in touch with him for me.

The only time I ever saw them in the field, their stuff was free. This was back in the 70's.

I've heard less than glowing reports about their handling of disaster relief.

I asked for help, a relative had leukemia. They told me to get on the bone marrow registry. I asked about a direct comparison (between me and the relative) and they said the policy was for me to get on the registry and they would find the best match. I asked again about a direct match, they sent me to a laboratory that wanted $7000. And found out the format/protocol the laboratory used was incompatible with what they were using at the hospital the relative was in. Maybe my fault for being pushy, maybe theirs for not really giving a darn.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    So basically they are another Jew pyramid scheme charading as Christian...?

What they are basically, is a family owned business. Not one family, but a few and the Red Cross isn't the only charity the families run. More like the Mafia or Charity Inc..
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    [:0] X 10,000 [^]
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I lived in Hurricane country there sure were alot of people in line at red cross stations waiting for the basics.

I know they were there in force when the hurricanes rolled through Alabama as I had a friend become reliant on them for a few days until things settled down.

$650,000 a year for a CEO of a global organization?
    Let me point out how small a salary that is for a CEO.
    Let me point out there are no stock options for the Red Cross executives or employees.

Last, if you dont caugh up a few bucks ti the Red Cross when a disaster (locally or elsewhere) occurs what is a better option to donate to?