In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Toyota creates 386,300 American jobs!

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
And approximately 9,000 more jobs coming when their Tundra plant opens in 2007 in San Antonio, Texas. Wake-up GM and Ford.....
The full story---->http://www.info-toyota.com/us_jobs.htm

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements)." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776.
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I think the Japs got the 'Big Jump' on us when they fully automated their plants
    ... when, back in the early '70s? it's been 'catchup' for most American auto
    producers since then. Now it's the impending 'cheap labor' Chinese cars.
    It don't look bright for the good guys!
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    The problem is that American automakers have forgotten the customer.

They pander to the unions, the stockholders, and the upper management.

And none of these constitutes a major portion of their market.[xx(]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Kind of like a "Reverse Marshall Plan"? Trying to help our economy stagger back from the chaos since big oil took over?

I have supported this adminstration since the beginning, but being an oil man, Bush has allowed the rape of American consumers by big oil.

Rant, rant!

I hope the Jappers also export to Texas the creed that when you act, you act in the best interest of all, not just yourself.

When Diesel and Kerosene cost more than refined Gasoline, you're not just making a profit, you are treating people like idiots.

End/rant

wings2.gif
  • Options
    bear69bear69 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chevy colorado and pontiac vibe are toyota's, so what does it matter. I hate jap-crap, but if GM,Ford and Chrysler wanna partner up with Toyota, Mazda, and Mitsubishi- then F#$k'EM!!! They dug their own holes. [:(!]
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Ever notice how all of these auto plants are located in so called right to work states where the per capita income is always in the lower tier of the fifty states? No one is opening new auto plants in Detroit or Los Angeles and there are good reasons for this. Although I support NAFTA its impact on manufacturing jobs in the United States is actually limited by the fact that a vast pool of low cost labor already exists right here inside this country. You can hire someone from Kentucky or Mississippi to work in a factory assembling widgets for a fraction of what someone from New York, Connecticut, or California would demand. You could also buy and entire county in many states for the money needed to build just a large distribution center in my area of California!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    Ever notice how all of these auto plants are located in so called right to work states where the per capita income is always in the lower tier of the fifty states? No one is opening new auto plants in Detroit or Los Angeles and there are good reasons for this. Although I support NAFTA its impact on manufacturing jobs in the United States is actually limited by the fact that a vast pool of low cost labor already exists right here inside this country. You can hire someone from Kentucky or Mississippi to work in a factory assembling widgets for a fraction of what someone from New York, Connecticut, or California would demand. You could also buy and entire county in many states for the money needed to build just a large distribution center in my area of California!

That is one of the main reasons I believe that Ohio didn't get the Hyndia (sp?) plant and Alabama got it instead last year.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kristov is correct. It is always cheaper to hire some uneducated fool in BFE than to hire someone with an education. Notice they always put the plants where the people are *desperate* for work, and will put up with just about anything?

Merc

FORGET about the Neo-Jedi Council! Join the Royal Order Of The Spongebobs!

spongebob.jpg

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    kristov is correct. It is always cheaper to hire some uneducated fool in BFE than to hire someone with an education. Notice they always put the plants where the people are *desperate* for work, and will put up with just about anything?

Merc

You Geniuses obviously don't take into account that in BFE the taxes are lower, therefore payroll can be lower.

Another factor that seems to have escaped your education is that modern automobile construction requires semi-skilled labor. It is much better for a Japanese company to utilize a previously untrained workforce in the U.S. There are no bad habits to break them of.

Given the choice between hiring * or bright guys like you to assemble matchboxes, there ain't much choice.[:p]

wings2.gif
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic has obviously generated more heat than light.
    At the present time Toyota builds more vehicles in North America than it does in Japan. In terms of world wide production, I'm sure Japan accounts for only 1/3 or 1/4 of the total. In Indiana, where I live, Toyota builds Tundra pickups and the SUV that is built on the same frame. Since the plant was built here, it has gone through at least two expansions; the first one occurred before the first vehicle rolled off of the assembly line. I would guess that their total investment here must be around $2 billion dollars.
    You must keep in mind that with automated or more automated production, the demand for skilled labor in all industries has declined.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    John ZoellickJohn Zoellick Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any one here ever worked for a Japanese company? I worked for A Major Forklift manufacturer for 18 years.Had good carreer with them, but the politics so bad it was nerve racking.lots of double standards.
    Allthough I will say the pay wasnt all that bad and the beifits were excellant.
    Ever see the the movie about Preston Tucker? pretty ironic huh.

"* ER DONE"
  • Options
    John ZoellickJohn Zoellick Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any one here ever worked for a Japanese company? I worked for A Major Forklift manufacturer for 18 years.Had good carreer with them, but the politics so bad it was nerve racking.lots of double standards.
    Allthough I will say the pay wasnt all that bad and the beifits were excellant.
    Ever see the the movie about Preston Tucker? pretty ironic huh.

"* ER DONE"
  • Options
    jl45jl45 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov

Kentucky is not a right to work state, but that didn't stop Toyota from building the Camry plant in Georgetown. And the lack of right to work status didn't keep Honda from building a plant in Ohio.

Not to sure of Indiana's status as a right to work state.

Bottom line is that auto manufacturers build plants where they are most centrally located, (respective to their customers) and in states that offer them the best tax incentives.

Kentucky lost that Hyundai plant to Alabama in large part because they couldn't work out a deal on the land that Hyundai wanted to use for the plant location.

jl45

NRA Endowment Member
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with p3skyking and ElMuertoMonkey on this one..

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very hard time feeling sorry for companies that buy products from their competitors, slap a new label on it & sell it as their own as an "American" car.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    The problem is that American automakers have forgotten the customer.

Yep. They think that all Americans want $35,000 trucks and SUV's. The most I'd be willing to pay is $15,000 for a bare bones truck.

Toyota- $13,700
    Chevy- $16,000+

Toyota is more at touch with customers than GM.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is all about the unions demands, I live near Chrysler, gm and the ford plants in saint Louis, and friends and relatives have worked there, they are so pampered they do not know what a real job is like, 50,00 to 75,00 with overtime paychecks, with the best benefit package you can construct, Christmas bonus one of my friends got from Chrysler was 5,000, and if they have to close the plant for any reason {usually retooling}, they get 90% sub pay, when I was younger I worked for a vending machine company, I had stops at all three plants, I got to see the laziness for my self for every minute they spend on the line they screw off for one

They also have had two drug bust at two of these plants in the last few years, and I do not mean one person at each plant, the hired undercover agents to work as a common plant worker, they recorded people getting high and drinking while on breaks a combined total of around 75 people where arrested and lost their jobs, and just think they put your truck together

I also know a guy who works for a temp agency that hires people to go there only on Monday due to all the people that call off of work for that day

Unions dictate higher wages, and this in turn dictates higher prices to pay these people, but the problem is not everyone is making these higher wages, I have a friend who is oh! So pro union he will not shop at places that where not built by union labor, so last week when we stopped at a gas station I asked him why did he buy a donut and a soda from them when none of the workers in there are union, the bakery that made that donut is not union the clerk is not union, if you are going to support unions you should support every person in America to live to a higher standard, and it is not all about skilled labor, {he makes 28.00 an hour and will tell you he actually will work maybe six hours out of the day}

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Foreign manufactures like Toyota are moving in and shutting down traditional American industries. Toyota will offer a better product until the domestic manufacturers are out of business and then lower quality and raise prices. All the profits go overseas to help other countries gain an advantage over the US.

It is Wal-Mart and George Bush's fault.

[:p][:p]

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the reasons Toyota creates so many jobs, they own all the companies that make there parts. G.M gets most of their parts from Delphi. THere are a bunch of plants in KY, with the name toyota on them.

Traveling from the west, unto the east. Insearch of that which was lost, but with my endavors, and his assistance, I am hopeful, of finding.
  • Options
    John N.John N. Member Posts: 421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    It is all about the unions demands, I live near Chrysler, gm and the ford plants in saint Louis, and friends and relatives have worked there, they are so pampered they do not know what a real job is like, 50,00 to 75,00 with overtime paychecks, with the best benefit package you can construct, Christmas bonus one of my friends got from Chrysler was 5,000, and if they have to close the plant for any reason {usually retooling}, they get 90% sub pay, when I was younger I worked for a vending machine company, I had stops at all three plants, I got to see the laziness for my self for every minute they spend on the line they screw off for one

They also have had two drug bust at two of these plants in the last few years, and I do not mean one person at each plant, the hired undercover agents to work as a common plant worker, they recorded people getting high and drinking while on breaks a combined total of around 75 people where arrested and lost their jobs, and just think they put your truck together

I also know a guy who works for a temp agency that hires people to go there only on Monday due to all the people that call off of work for that day

Unions dictate higher wages, and this in turn dictates higher prices to pay these people, but the problem is not everyone is making these higher wages, I have a friend who is oh! So pro union he will not shop at places that where not built by union labor, so last week when we stopped at a gas station I asked him why did he buy a donut and a soda from them when none of the workers in there are union, the bakery that made that donut is not union the clerk is not union, if you are going to support unions you should support every person in America to live to a higher standard, and it is not all about skilled labor, {he makes 28.00 an hour and will tell you he actually will work maybe six hours out of the day}

reloaderror.jpg
    The Toyota plant in California is Union,the Mitsubishi plant in Illinois is Union.It is not always the Union's fault if companies cannot compete.There is more to it than that.Building a vehicle the people want to buy would help.http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/cartruck2006.cfm

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -- James Dean
  • Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Look at it this way. If it was your product you created or your business, would you want to depend on a Union to build/create your product? I know I would not. I've worked on both sides of Union and management and it's an oil and water formula.

I spend my hard earned money on quality products. I work too hard to do otherwise. Dependability and longevity is what it's all about with me.

heat1.jpg
  • Options
    JEPJEP Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a lifelong Kentuckian who has worked for TOYOTA for 18 years including 2 years as a skilled tradesman on the construction of the plant in Georgetown I must take issue with some of the comments on this thread. I am sorry some have such a low opinion of us *,uneducated,work for nothing idiots in BFE.18 years ago ,with 2 kids and a wife,they hired me and gave me a good wage,a future,trained me,listened to me and promoted me. Kentucky is not perfect but as a construction worker I worked all over the Eastern half of the country and I will put this state and it's people up against any other state. There are many variables as to why any industrial prospect chooses a location including rail service,dependable cost effective utilities,suitable land,incentive package,tax rates,reliable workforce and the list goes on.The amount of money they give away locally and nationally and the amount of money generated by these plants and their suppliers is tremendous and well documented. The domestic content of most ,if not all,of TOYOTAS US produced vehicles stands up against any other manufacturer and exceeds many. My experience, mine I said, with US produced vehicles was a mixed bag at best and most of the problems were based on assembly problems as they were poorly put together and a lack of QC inspection.At the tender age of 55 I am well aware of some of the misconceptions of Kentucky. I have owned a pair of shoes all my life and my family tree has branches. There is not a state in the union that something derogatory could not be said about it but I will not go there. As far as wages our plant has never been out of the top 5 in the industry and most of the time we are #2 in the industry. On site we have a state of the art subsidized child care,credit union,pharmacy,vehicle purchasing area,fitness center and benefits that are second to none. If you don't miss work in any given year you go to a $750,000.00 party with national entertainment,food and they give away 15 vehicles tax free. We are manned with well educated people with a good work ethic producing a good product nearly independent of the parent company.

James E. Payne
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I guess the idiots who're always whining about outsourcing somehow managed to overlook this happening.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
    If multiculturalism is the answer, it must have been one hell of a stupid question.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older plant are union and have been for some time. Union plants just do not do away with job descriptions. There are union workers that have to be aged out. When the railroad did away with conductor, the job still existed. The old conductors were still paid even tho they had nothing to do. Only in America. Don

I did not say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    JEP, I have nothing against KY and I was in no way trying to malign your state which is well known for fast horses and good bourban! I was also wrong to say that KY is a "right to work state" because I was told that this is not the case and I stand corrected. I do believe that as long as there is such a marked differential in wages between KY and the northern industrial states (as well as CA), industry will find states like KY to be advantageous for new facilities as well as for relocation. I'm going to have a little sip of Ezra Brooks bourban (101 months old) from Frankfort, KY in your honor JEP. Ah, SMMMMOOOOTTTHHHH!
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most so called american car companies dont make their product in America,my last chevy was made in Canada,my wifes dodge was made in Mexico so what difference does it make anymore?