In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Booze tax going up to fund liberal socialized med

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This week we are launching our full-scale assault against socialized medicine in America, and we need YOUR help! Please take a few minutes to call 7 key Senators who are in a position to kill this terrible idea before it gains momentum. Tell them that you oppose raising taxes on alcohol and other beverages to pay for government-run health care.

CLICK HERE to view our strategy page, which includes the names and numbers of the 7 key Senate targets, and guidelines for calling.

Senator Harry Reid (866) 997-1382
Senator Blanche Lincoln (877) 577-3524
Senator Max Baucus (866) 980-9379
Senator Evan Bayh (866) 976-0053
Senator Bill Nelson (877) 718-8664
Senator Ben Nelson (866) 981-5168
Senator John Ensign (877) 506-9210

Together we can defeat government-run health care, just like we did in the early nineties. Please take an active role in this campaign today, and pass this along to your friends and family so that we reach millions of Americans with our message!

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,019 ******
    edited November -1
    You got to pay to play. Case in point:
    A gentleman who lived near me drove a truck for a living. After being caught DUI for the third time, he was declared a habitual offender and pulled a year in Powatan. When he got out, he was declared disabled, whereupon he drew a check and got Medicaid.
    Newsflash:
    We already have government run health care.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Why oppose alcohol/ soda tax?

Let it pass. It is about time someone else get their share of "sin" taxes.

And yes, I AM pretty bitter about smoker's tax.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    How about this...let's have a tax put on politicians.

1. A standard 33% of their total salary goes to taxes.

2. Also a mouth tax of 1.00 per word, every time they shoot off their lying mouths.

3. Tax of 33% on the fiscal amount their benefits are worth.

4. Every year past their initial 2 year term 80% tax on their revenue. (to prevent these lifers from staying)

What a dream, to turn it around on these leeching, scumbags!!!
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The figures that I read showed the alcohol tax could raise 60 billion dollars over the next ten years. Obama has said that his health care plan will cost 1.6 trillion dollars in the next 5 years.
    That is government accounting for ya!
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    We always enjoyed reasonably price alcoholic beverages when visiting the U.S. Looks like that could change. Up here we are heavily taxed on alcohol which pushes the prices skyward. As an example this past winter I was paying just under $7.00 U.S. for a 750ml bottle of Rufino Chianti in Florida. Up here that same bottle costs us just under $17.00 Cdn. Even given the exchange rate is still twice the price here. [:(]
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    I'll have to keep telling you. The pols want money, not your advice on how to vote.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have yet to get a letter back from Bill Nelson that had anything relevant to what I wrote him about just a form letter on the latest hot issue.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    I have yet to get a letter back from Bill Nelson that had anything relevant to what I wrote him about just a form letter on the latest hot issue.

At least I'm not the only one in Florida to get that response.[}:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well I am going to get flamed but we need reform on health insurance,I am not for socialized medicine but premiums for insurance has gotten entirely out of hand,the average company pays over 300 a month per employee for health insurance,If you want an individual policy it can set you back as much as $500 a month with a $5000 deductable before it even kicks in,,so you are looking at somewhere around $11k a year for just health care/insurance.It has gotten to the point that honest people who want and would pay for insurance just can not afford it.A government run insurance company may be what it takes to bring premiums down where working people could pay for it
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey sharp have you ever seen anything that the gov can run. Hell no and O isn't worried about you he wants to take care of the people that don't want to work and illegals.[V][xx(]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The doctor I see discounts me big time if I pay cash about 40% just because of what is required for him to collect from the insurance like he told me have looked at a doctors office staff lately adminstive personal out numbers medical that is where alot of your expensives going and it will only get worse the more goverment steps in
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fshfndr,I agree the government can not run anything but we still have to have some sort of reform or it will run itself into the sewer,think of how many have been unemployed in the last year,none of these will have insurance anymore because there is no way they can afford it,be it on their own or Cobra,How many people in here can afford 10 grand every year out of their pocket on health care and that is what it has come too unless you wish to play russian roulette and go with out any insurance at all.not all of these people will get sick or hurt but many will and all of that will end up on the tax payer dime or in bankrupcy and still costing everyone money.Sticking our head in the sand will not make the problems go away.we as a country have to have some sort of health insurance reform so everyone can qualify for some sort of affordable insurance or we will bankrupt all of our hospitals,hundreds of hospitals go out of business every year because of uninsured people abusing the system