In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help getting rid of mice....

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
with winter coming, the lil' ba$tards seem to have found their way into my house. any tricks that work for you guys?

poison pellets?? good ole guilltone (sp) traps??

335821.jpg

Comments

• Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    the traps that glue there feet to paper...they've worked better for me in the past. or the ones that trap there head, but you have to use peanut butter, not cheese.
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    blow gun with needle darts or a bb gun and a quiet few hours of watching. talk about easily spooked hard to hit game!
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    at a bar i used to work at they used glue traps and i came down to stock beer one night and found one stuck. didn't think much and went back to stocking. came down about 45 minutes later to hear a wierd squealing and saw another one mounting the the first and also stuck. lmao, at least he went out with a bang[}:)]

cody
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Normal mouse traps with.... JIF Chunky Peanut Butter. NOT Extra Crunchy OR Creamy.... but JIF Chunky Peanut Butter.....trust me!
  • Options
    johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont go with the cat thing mine just plays with them drives the wife crazy.. i used sticky traps and got rid of the ones i had and the next year they came back again.. so i went out and got some pest controll things you plug into the outlet.. suppose to use sound freq.. havn't got them back. and as a plus they seam to control the amount of spiders and flies in the house to..

cat.gif
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you have the gun out shoot the cats....Just get the regular old style mouse traps, put a little peanut butter on the a ritz cracker and set it on the trap, keep setting them until you have no more mice. Cats do make good targets though. Spray a little day glo orange paint on them and viola, instant target. Funny how the simple things in life can bring such simple pleasures isn't it?

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:... at least he went out with a bang

LOL! Very well said!
    ape.jpg
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    When I was in LE I'd carry a spray can of CS. ne night I got home to find a mouse in the closet by the front door. I had to mouse trapped between the wall and a table-leaf. The only access I had to the mouse was to spray it with the CS, which I did. The mousetook off running so I lead it, keeping the stream right on it as it ran. He ran out a small opening under the front door. I guess it returned to it's nest and smelled the whole place up, causing them to move elsewhere, because that was the last we saw of any mice for several years.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peanut butter is okay but a bacon tied on to the trap is the best. Nice raw meaty part (the fat seems to just slip off) tied on to the trap with dental floss. Make sure you position it along the wall (with the bait facing the wall.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    We had our first little houseguest a few weeks ago, which we quickly dispatched with a standard mousetrap and peanut butter. All the while I'm looking at my cat, saying, "You lousy good for nothing slacker! If you were doing your job, I wouldn't heve to do this!"
    Well, as I type this, she has one cornered behind my entertainment center. I'll have to keep my eyes on the floor when I get home for mouse guts.
    Maybe I should get into motivational speaking...?

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got rid of two.

Standard spring loaded trap baited with peanut butter.

Spring trap is most humane since it kills the mice instantly.

Glue traps and poison are cruel, IMO, plus with poision they crawl off and die somewhere then rot. . .not good.

41.jpg02patriots.gifsox.jpg
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Normal mouse traps with.... JIF Chunky Peanut Butter. NOT Extra Crunchy OR Creamy.... but JIF Chunky Peanut Butter.....trust me!

Peanut butter works!

"Can't we all just...get along"?-- Rodney King
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    dcon, no more problems all year long.

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I'm calling peta

You guys need to realize that they are just trying to get along and make thier way in this cruel cruel world.

Why, one of them even made it to the apex of the entertainment industry with theme parks, movies, and all.

Please realize that all mice are not bad, and theat the one you don't kill may grow up and do a tremendous amount of good for society.

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    with winter coming, the lil' ba$tards seem to have found their way into my house. any tricks that work for you guys?

poison pellets?? good ole guilltone (sp) traps??

335821.jpg

Cats work pretty good.

Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is forever.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by johall
    dont go with the cat thing mine just plays with them drives the wife crazy.. i used sticky traps and got rid of the ones i had and the next year they came back again.. so i went out and got some pest controll things you plug into the outlet.. suppose to use sound freq.. havn't got them back. and as a plus they seam to control the amount of spiders and flies in the house to..

cat.gif

by chance do you have a product name or webiste where i could purchase such item.

quote:While you have the gun out shoot the cats....Just get the regular old style mouse traps, put a little peanut butter on the a ritz cracker and set it on the trap, keep setting them until you have no more mice. Cats do make good targets though. Spray a little day glo orange paint on them and viola, instant target. Funny how the simple things in life can bring such simple pleasures isn't it?

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue

hmmmm...my neighbors cat has been wandering around my house lately...good idea!! [}:)]

also, i think they/it are running up and down between my fireplace upstairs and the one downstairs (at least the scurry into it when im shooting bb's at them) anyway to deter this?? also, any preventitive measures to take to keep them outside??

thanks again guys!

335821.jpg
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mice.......no problem...Raccoons are another matter! I have (disposed of) 18 so far this year....and that's just on my front porch!

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .22lr/ wmr loaded with snake shot?[:D][:D][:D]

I would use DECON and then if it is caused by my neighbors un-kept yard; blame it on him and call vector control and/or file a complaint with city hall.

Those snap-traps (like those on that jacka$s movie where he dresses like a mouse) with peanut-butter, cheesse or a combo of the two.

Another possibility may be gopher bait, as I think it has more fruit and seeds that mice like to eat (coated with poison of course).

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I like the sticky traps. You need to check them regularly; I've had mice get off of them after sometime. Or, they have gotten their front legs off and craw around dragging the trap.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee and get paid to do it now.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I'm with Grunt on this one.

As many cats Mrs.Wins has in and around the house,I doubt seriously that I'll ever have a mice/rat problem.

* are another story.

The dogs have killed 3 in the past 2 weeks.Never see them anywhere around until I find them dead,always in the same place,near where we keep one of the dogs(Ruger)tied.Seems the tree he's under is infested with water roaches.You know,the great big ones that scurry across the kitchen floor when you turn the light on.After dark,when I go out to feed the dogs,they're everywhere around his feed dish.I was gonna try to spray them or somethin' to kill'em,but as long as they're way back there and attractin' the * so 'ol Ruger's got somethin' to "play" with,I guess I won't.[;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cats are such sadistic killers of mice, even I am offended! And I do not have a soft spot in my heart for mice. [:D][:D]

I got some traps over at Home Depot last winter to use over at the gun club house. I think the brand was "Victory" ... they worked great with cheese. Peanut butter was a little slow. They are made of plastic, but they have a really neat triggering device that always works! Easy to empty the dead mouse and re-apply the cheese whiz!

Now as Fall is arriving, I may need to start trapping again![:p]
  • Options
    HPHHPH Member Posts: 112 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself one of these traps:

Ketch-All%20Trap.gif

I bought one recently because I had a mouse that refused to get caught with my old traps. I tried all the old reliable baits, and nada. One night with this trap, and Bam! He was gone!

Here's the website: http://www.kness.com/Ketch-All.html

evilcorn.gif
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    How many cats can I send you? PLEASE LET ME KNOW SOON!!!

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used those little, grey plastic box traps by Havahart (I think).
    They have a rocker that tips when he's in it and a gate closes by gravity. These took care of a mice problem in the house and motorhome.
    Peanut butter seems best with cheese a second choice.
    The only problem is ants also love the bait. Remember where you put the traps and check them regularly because the mice get ripe.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Just thought of a little trick that works really well at deer camp,and it's really cheap,too.[;)]

Assuming there is nowhere in the house for them to get water,take a Gatoraid or similar bottle(the smoother,the better),fill it no more than a third full of water.

Use a brick,rock,piece of firewood,etc. to prop it up(against a wall)at about a 45 degree angle.Make sure they have a way to get up to the mouth.When they enter the bottle to get a drink,they'll slide into the water,won't be able to get out and will drown.

We've gotten countless mice and rats that way when there is someone there regular enough to keep it goin'.[;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glue traps, bb gun.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA BENEFACTOR-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Beantownshooter said.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (NO B.S., THIS REALLY WORKS)

Directions for the world's best mouse trap.

1 Five gallon bucket.

1 empty 12 ounce soda or other favorite beverage can.

1 straight metal curtain rod or similar thin straight metal rod.

1 gallon of water.

1 jar of peanut butter.

1 wood 2X4 or similar wooden plank approximately 3' long.

Take the bucket and make a hole just under the rim so the rod can slide through it.
    Take the beverage can and poke a hole in the bottom so that the rod will fit through it from top to bottom. Take the rod and push it through one side of the bucket. When the rod is halfway though the bucket place the can on the rod, and continue running the rod through the other side of the bucket. Ensure the can is able to spin on the rod. Poor the water into the bucket. Apply the peanut butter all over the beverage can. Lean the wooden plank against the side of the bucket. The mice will run up the plank, jump onto the can to get to the peanut butter, and when the can spins they will fall into the water and drown.

I use this at my hunting camp, and in a weekend I can catch over ten mice.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    I got some traps over at Home Depot last winter to use over at the gun club house. I think the brand was "Victory" ... they worked great with cheese. Peanut butter was a little slow. They are made of plastic, but they have a really neat triggering device that always works! Easy to empty the dead mouse and re-apply the cheese whiz!

Yup.

Got one last night; same exact trap bought at home depot baited with peanut butter.

I should point out that this trap is the standard classical wood and metal-wire-with spring mouse trap that we are all used to. The difference is that the TRIGGER is made of plastic, but its broad, sensitive, and a bit better than the usual bent metal one on such spring traps.

Without getting into the gory details, I'm certain the mouse was humanely killed in a fraction of a second.

extreme_sport_mouse.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ex-Lax, any rodent can't resist eating their fill, works good on gophers too.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    y'all just leave a coke bottle with a little coke in it lying around and see what happens...

mice go in to get the liquid and get it all over them...too sticky to get out....

works every time

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a house dog, like a miniature Schnauzer. My aunt and uncle have had two, and they make quick work of mice. Won't play with them. Just picks them up and snaps their furry little necks.

We caught three mice in a half-full bucket of corn when their first one was getting up there in years. We gassed them with a little bit of ether, then turned them loose in the middle of the driveway. That dog never stopped moving until all three were dead. He would catch one, flip it into the air, and turn tail to catch the next one. Never saw him move so fast in all the years they had him.