In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm Facing a Felony !

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
I did some drywall work for a guy last March. He never paid me. I put a lien on the house and sued Adrien Dekle instead of Dekle Drywall LLC. He is sole owner of the company and works out of his house. His lawyer got an order to dismiss the Claim even after I had the suit amended to read D.B.A. Dekle Drywall LLC. The Judge agreed and awarded the lawyer $600.

Now not only did I do the work and not get paid, but I'm supposed to pay him 600 dollars on top of all this. The Judge said I shouldn't have put D.B.A. in there. I didn't, the girls in the County Clerks office did. But they did help file all the paperwork to get this far.

A. Notice to Owner
B. Statement of Lien
C. Statement of Claim

His lawyer has threataned me with 2 years of Jail time if I don't dismiss my claim by 12/01/03. He also wants to file Discovery Procedures to force me to peoduce Financial Records, Deeds to Property and Vehicle Titles to recover his $600 fee. The original bill was $630 for the drywall job.

I talked to a Lawyer who dislikes lawyers who use unethical tactics. He immediatly found 3 flaws in the Judges decision and filed a "Motion to Rehear". My lawyer charges $250 dollars an hour, but is doing this for me for $100. I think I found a Lawyer with Morals.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    landjetlandjet Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a shame that justice has to be bought these days, and a close second that justice has somehow come to mean who can intimidate who the most before crying uncle... or is that bankruptcy?

If you've found a good lawyer (oxy-moron?) stick with him. Send the bill to Dekle and his lawyer. I wish you the best with it.
  • Options
    1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think it was you who said you were good at representing yourself. maybe if you had got a lawyer in the first place you would not have this problem.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Pay your mouth-piece the $250 an hour and put the shaft to that other fool!!

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1armbandit;
    I wasn't heard at the "Motion to Dismiss". She (the judge) made her decision after hearing Dekle's attorney only. This is why I got an attorney. As I stated my Lawyer found 3 flaws on a one page decision by her. A real Judge would have heard both sides. This whole Fxxking town is Crooked.

If I was able to say something at that hearing I would have been able to produce a document from Dekle Drywall LLC instead of Adrien Dekle.
    That would have proved I was suing Dekle Drywall, because it was Adrien Dekle that was being defended, not Dekle Drywall LLC.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best of luck to you. Please keep us informed. SxS

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How would any of that be a felony?

"His lawyer has threataned me with 2 years of Jail time if I don't dismiss my claim by 12/01/03".
    Lawyers dont dish out jail time judges do. Unless you purger yourself or are found in contempt of court I dont understand how you can be sent to jail for anything in a civil matter. If a judge thinks the case has no merit he simply dismisses it.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rmeyer
    How would any of that be a felony?

"His lawyer has threataned me with 2 years of Jail time if I don't dismiss my claim by 12/01/03".
    Lawyers dont dish out jail time judges do. Unless you purger yourself or are found in contempt of court I dont understand how you can be sent to jail for anything in a civil matter. If a judge thinks the case has no merit he simply dismisses it.

That's what I'm wondering too.

Follow your lawyer's advice on this; what does he think about a letter to the Bar regarding the first lawyer's and Judge's behaviors here? "Typos" are not reasons to dismiss cases--and that is all your error was. Unless there is more to the story, there is something unethical going on here.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    "His lawyer has threataned me with 2 years of Jail time if I don't dismiss my claim by 12/01/03. He also wants to file Discovery Procedures to force me to produce Financial Records, Deeds to Property and Vehicle Titles to recover his $600 fee. The original bill was $630 for the drywall job."

This sounds like a total scare-tactic by a sc#$bag scheister. The demand to produce all sorts of records is a classic tactic of intimidation used by lawyers to get people to back away. He's hoping that by swamping you with paperwork, you'll figure it's too much of a hassle and/or get scared, and call it quits.

I'm glad you found a worthwhile lawyer. I hope and pray that you'll prevail in this case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:How would any of that be a felony?

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0713/SEC31.HTM&Title=->2003->Ch0713->Section 31

Section 713.31 (3)

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Well looks like the Department of Business and Professional Regulation will be investigating the matter for the State Attorney General.

Best of luck, I had a lawyer tell me once 'For $3000 we can get you off'.....I only had $1500....Lawyers are all crooks..There are no good lawyers.

Next time maybe let a collection agency do the dirty work for you...although Saxonpig's idea ain't all that bad either.
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the wonderful world of law, lawyers and courts!![xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From your link Niner (which is dealing with fraudulent liens):

quote:However, a minor mistake or error in a claim of lien, or a good faith dispute as to the amount due does not constitute a willful exaggeration that operates to defeat an otherwise valid lien.

So did the Judge conclude it was a fruadulent lien? Is this what the other side is claiming? It seems like you're on solid legal ground from what you've described and the law in the link you've provided.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It never got to that.
    It was dismissed because I sued Adrien Deckle as D.B.A Deckle Drywall LLC instead of just Dekle Drywall LLC.

His Lawyer threatened me that if I continued with the suit he would try to get me to go to jail.

What I did wrong is charge Deckle Drywall LLC with time that I was waiting for the job to be ready for me to do my work. That is a legitimate charge but not part of a lien on billing.

What I learned from this is that a Claim of Lien is a powerful tool and should only be used as a last resort. I should just have gone to small claims court. I tried to skip a step and got bit on the *.

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner

What I did wrong is charge Deckle Drywall LLC with time that I was waiting for the job to be ready for me to do my work. That is a legitimate charge but not part of a lien on billing.

Ahhh! More details; so the contracted amount was paid, but you were looking for extra payment because the job site wasn't ready for you when you were told it would be? Were the extra charges for "delays" in the contract? If a clause wasn't in the contract for such charges, you're on shakely legal grounds to try to collect the money or to file a lien against the property.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No!
    I have not been paid any money for the job.

When I found out he wasn't going to pay me I re-billed him for time lost waiting for the job to be ready for my services since I already committed myself to do the job I didn't have anything else lined up. Unfortunately, I included that charge on the Lien instead of just the bill.

He didn't pay me because all the materials were not on the job when I started. I called him on Friday and told him I needed 8 pieces of corner bead to complete the job. He didn't bring it to me until The day I was finishing up. I did the job piecework, which meant I would have to go back to put the bead on and finish it. He had 4 days to bring me the corner bead and he didn't do it. When doing piece work you don't go back for such things, especially when I was working 40 miles from there on my next job. The job I did for him was complete except for the 8 pieces of corner bead. This guy is in his twenty's and needs to grow up and learn business etiquette real fast.

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    but you said you are good at representing yourself. looks like you dig yourself intoa legal hole.
  • Options
    benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Niner-- I must be missing something here because I can not see how your case can go from a civil "trying to get paid for a job" to a felony. I thought felony charges were for more serious crimes, such as fraud, theft, assault, etc. Are there more details to this story we don't know?

I sure hope it works out well for you though and your new lawyer can get the mess straightened out. Sounds like he may have his work cut out for him.
  • Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well ..let me thinks...as a Leo..i have a couple of comments....how in the flying you know what can a civil action cause criminal penalties?...no way..unless you drop your pants and moon the guy in the court room......you are dealing with an entirely different court system.....all civil action.....another comment would be..is to sue the county clerks office in small claims for the 600.00 it is against the law for them to give legal advice and if they did fill out the form for you or assisted in any legal means...that is a violation in the law..and their action in doing so has caused you to suffer damages...causing you to loose out on your suit by having it dismissed for incorrect information..to put it blutly..that lawyer is an a +ole...he is playing games..scare tatics up the yin yin......

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    good idea kris.niner has done so good so far he can file another suit.he can fix his mistakes with volume.
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1armbandit
    i think it was you who said you were good at representing yourself. maybe if you had got a lawyer in the first place you would not have this problem.

RugerNiner: I don't want to make you feel bad, but he is absolutely correct. A person who represents himself has a fool for a client. You mentioned a jail threat by his attorney. IT is a BIG TIME ethical violation for any litigant or their attorney to threaten criminal prosecution to gaim advantage in a civil case. He couldn't do anything criminal against you anyway (that is the DA or prosecuting attorneys job) but I'd file an ethics complaint against him right away if he actually did threaten to get you thrown in jail. Good luck!

Bruce
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    ....Lawyers are all crooks..There are no good lawyers.

That is simply not true. Everyone bad mouths lawyers until they need one, same thing for cops.

Bruce
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as threatning you that is as far as it can go. Civily you can not go to jail. The most would be for them to get an order and then go after a garnisment. This take time and money. Most courts might find against you for the case but I doubt that many will grant any attourny fees.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:2)(a) Any lien asserted under this part in which the lienor has willfully exaggerated the amount for which such lien is claimed or in which the lienor has willfully included a claim for work not performed upon or materials not furnished for the property upon which he or she seeks to impress such lien or in which the lienor has compiled his or her claim with such willful and gross negligence as to amount to a willful exaggeration shall be deemed a fraudulent lien.

In the lien I charged him with Time I Lost.
    quote:3) Any person who willfully files a fraudulent lien, as defined in this section, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. A state attorney or the statewide prosecutor, upon the filing of an indictment or information against a contractor, subcontractor, or sub-subcontractor which charges such person with a violation of this subsection,
    Charging for the Time Lost made it a fraudulent lien.

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of decided whether to go after some jerk is deciding whether to spend the money to hire an attorney. Common sense and decent documentation is usually enough in small claims, but you admittedly skipped a step and tried to file a scarier claim on your own. Sounds like the other side's lawyer puffed himself up and decided to try to treat you in kind. But his tactics only would have worked longterm if you pursued the matter without ever getting a lawyer. Since you got one, belatedly, the better cards are back in your hand. It sounds to me like lessons will be learned on both sides.

The frustrating thing about people is that they just won't operate reliably on somebody else's timetable, no matter the effect on their own reputations. They judge themselves by their intentions (to bring you the supplies you needed); others judge them by their actions (didn't get around to it, dropped the ball, etc.). He was wrong, but you needed an attorney to nail the lid on it. Sounds like you made a simple collection issue worse by not having an attorney handle it.

Competentone makes a good point when he quotes "a minor mistake or error in a claim of lien, or a good faith dispute as to the amount due does not constitute a willful exaggeration that operates to defeat an otherwise valid lien." Your mistake was not intentional, and was aggravated by the clerks' bad advice in filling out the forms. Make sure your attorney knows this so they can't stick you with that phony felony charge. The key word is "WILLFULLY." You're innocent of that one.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you admit you skipped a step and acknowledge that technically you did violate this law by charging for lost time and then getting the lein then just pay for the attorney's fees and move on with your life. It's a $600 lesson learned.

Worst case scenerio: the lawyer, with the aid of a sympathetic prosecutor persue the case. You'll spend more than $600 fighting it.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The phrase "a claim for work not performed upon" would mean, billing for 12 hrs work when you only did 6 hrs. of work. As I understand it you billed for downtime caused by incomplete work by another contractor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:(b) It is a complete defense to any action to enforce a lien under this part, or against any lien in any action in which the validity of the lien is an issue, that the lien is a fraudulent lien; and the court so finding is empowered to and shall declare the lien unenforceable, and the lienor thereupon forfeits his or her right to any lien on the property upon which he or she sought to impress such fraudulent lien. However, a minor mistake or error in a claim of lien, or a good faith dispute as to the amount due does not constitute a willful exaggeration that operates to defeat an otherwise valid lien.
    Because I itemized my bill including loss of time I did not willfully exaggerate the lien.

offeror;
    Your first paragraph hit the nail on the head.
    Unfortunately I can not pursue this after the attorneys fees are rescinded. I was advised to walk away or hire my attorney for more money then I would recieve. All of my attorneys fees would not be reimbursable from the defendant in a second lawsuit initiated by me.

Elbesta;
    That is correct.
    But that can not be used as part of the lien because ultimately the Home Owner becomes responsible for the bill in which he had no control over the subs in front of me.

That's what makes this a touchy situation.
    The Home owner becomes the responsible party for the work done and not for the time when work was not ready for the next sub.

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    you say the judge would not hear you at the motion and would only hear the other side. why?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    She got up and walked away from the table so fast I'm not sure.
    This was held at a table that sat four, not a court room.
    He handed her a paper stating that Deckle Drywall was a corporation and that I served his client instead of the corporation.
    That apparently was all she needed to hear.

spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    beantole you are correct. Sorry for the post....I'm sure there are a few good ones out there.