In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mayor Won't Give Dead Marine's Money Back

Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
TheDenverChannel.com
Related To Story
9066410_240X180.jpg
Video: Mayor Confronted Over Money Owed Dead Marine's Family

Mayor Won't Give Dead Marine's Money Back
Bostick Is Mayor Of Fort Lupton

POSTED: 7:48 pm MDT April 27, 2006
UPDATED: 9:25 am MDT April 28, 2006

FORT LUPTON, Colo. -- The mother of a U.S. Marine was grieving for her dead son when she found that his savings account had been claimed by the director of the funeral home.

It was money that he had no right to and despite a court ruling, the funeral director refused to pay. What's even more puzzling is that he's not just any debtor, he's the mayor of the small town and a member of a City Council that has financial responsibility for the city's budget.

7NEWS also found that he has other debts as well, something his constituents may want to know.

Jason Sepulveda, a Marine, was training at Camp Lejune in North Carolina, preparing to go to Iraq, when in an evening off-base, he was killed in a car accident.

"My son died instantly and the other Marine died approximately two weeks after," said Elis Sepulveda, Jason's mother.

His parents, who spoke with him weekly, knew he had been saving his money for a long weekend when they would all be together.

"We were going on vacation for the Fourth of July to visit him," Sepulveda said. "I know he had been sacrificing because they don't get paid very much."

Jason's body was returned to Colorado for burial. Records show that the funeral was paid, in full, by the Marines. But after closing out her son's accounts, Jason's mother realized that the probate court had sent the proceeds of Jason's savings account to the funeral home, which is run by Jim Bostick.

"I called Mr. Bostick and I said, 'Well, the courts sent you my son's savings account.' He just kind of really blew me off a lot," Sepulveda said.

She said he didn't give her any receipts or bills and just kept the money.

In addition to his duties as mayor and member of the Ft. Lupton City Council, Bostick also owns two funeral homes. In his role with the city, he is heavily involved in overseeing the finances of the town.

Sepulveda took Bostick to court over the money he wouldn't return to her family. The judge's order in the case was final.

"She gave damages, interests, court fines, everything, and I assumed that if you go to court that you pay it," Sepulveda said.

But despite the judgment of more than $7,500, Bostick has refused to pay.

When 7NEWS Investigator John Ferrugia confronted Bostick and asked him why he was still holding money from the Sepulvedas, Bostick said, "I'm not holding the money for them. I don't want to be on camera right now."

But Bostick not only owes the Sepulvedas, he owes other people money.

"You've got other judgments out there. Do you want to talk to me about that?" Ferrugia asked Bostick.

"No, I don't," Bostick said.

In fact, court records show Bostick has several current unsatisfied debts to creditors from Greeley to Montana and that doesn't include money he owed when he filed bankruptcy in 2001. He claims he is trying to repay the money.

But Bostick didn't want to talk about the money he owes the Sepulveda family or whether, given his personal financial problems, he should be making fiscal decisions for the town of Fort Lupton.

"I want to know if you think it's appropriate for the mayor who has fiduciary responsibility to owe this kind of money," Ferrugia said.

7NEWS obtained letters written by Bostick to the family, saying that he would settle the debt.

"It got to the point where he would just not accept our phone calls and just say, 'I can't hear you, I can't hear you,'" Sepulveda said.

"You wrote. You said, 'I want to settle this,' and you never have. Why not?" Ferrugia asked Bostick.

"I don't recall ever writing letters to ..." Bostick responded. "Well, I don't recall that, no. Right off, I don't recall it."

Finally, using the same double-talk that has frustrated the Marine family, Bostick seemed to make clear he has no intention of settling the claim.

"It will be worked out with them," Bostick said.

"Worked out? You've been saying that for how many years? How many years have you been telling them that?" Ferrugia asked.

"I can't even remember when it happened," Bostick said.

"It's not a real top priority, is it?" Ferrugia said.

"Yes, it is a priority and I feel that it's money that I do not owe them," Bostick said.

"My son was in the Marines and he went there to do what was right for his country. I know for a fact that for somebody to actually steal from him is not right," Sepulveda said. "I feel like me, as a mother, I need to do this. This was my son's money and I'm not going to go away."

The mayor broke two appointments with 7NEWS and refused to talk with us before Ferrugia decided to go to City Hall for some answers. Despite his pledge to settle the issue, Sepulveda said Bostick still has not contacted her.

And despite his apparent questionable financial judgment, he is still involved in making fiscal decisions for the citizens of Fort Lupton.

Have a comment on this story? Or a news tip or story idea? Call the Investigators at (303) 832-TIPS or E-mail us.

Copyright 2006 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9056473/detail.html?rss=den&psp=news

http://www.fortlupton.org/

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't get blood out of a turnip but I'm betting he could be sent to jail for contempt of court.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he blows all his money on online gambling.....
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Send his @$$ to prison, confiscate all of his property to repay his debts, and conveniently forget to release him when his jail term is up.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the very least she should put a lien against the property his business occupies ... and if this is a small town, why isn't the town helping her with this? If this has been going on for some time as it sounds, why does he keep getting re-elected?

Sumptin funny goin on here!

Or ... it could be a scaled down Kennedy thing [xx(]
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Litterally everyone I've ever known that went to small claims court (which i'm assuming is the case here), Got blown off by the other party.
    Here, in Oregon at least, a judges decision in small claims is just that; a decision.
    Collecting it is YOUR problem i.e. a civil matter. No contempt of court involved.
    The only option I see is to get a shyster & sue the SOB.
    Mebbe the ACLU can help.(I didn't really mean that).
    [:(!]barto[:(!]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    You can't get blood out of a turnip but I'm betting he could be sent to jail for contempt of court.

But you can get the turnip.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Maybe the SOB has figured a way to take it all with him afterall.....[;)]
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody in Probate Court is responsible for this.
    This is what Probate is all about, deciding who gets the estate.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    If this lady has an attorney it should be fairly easy to get the Probate Court to correct it's error by garnishing the wages of the Mayor or place a lien against his Funeral Home.

She also could file a FDIC claim to get the money back that was illegally stolen by the Mayor's actions to get it from the Probate Court. Let the Fed's go after the mayor...err Funeral Home owner.