In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I HATE TIRE DEALERS!!!

JWolfJWolf Member Posts: 1,901
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
I JUST BOUGHT 2 NEW TIRES AT WALLY WORLD, THE COST OF EACH TIRE WAS $58.++ SO I GET THEM, WHEN I GO TO PAY THEY HIT ME WITH $8 PER TIRE TO BALANCE AND THEN $1.75 PER TIRE FOR THE VAVLE STEMS! NOT TO MENTION THE DISPOSAL FEE FOR THE OLD TIRES THAT WE ALL KNOW THEY SELL TO THE SECOND HAND TIRE STORES AND THE RETREAD GUYS, SO THEY GET $$ ON BOTH SIDES. IT'S LIKE "OK SIR YOUR TIRES ARE X AMOUNT BUT IF YOU DONT WANT THEM TO WOBBLE OR WEAR UNEVENLY IT'S GONNA COST YOU EXTRA, THE AIR IS FREE (FOR NOW) BUT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE AIR IN THE TIRES IT'S GONNA COST YOU EXTRA.

I REMEMBER WHEN THE PRICE OF THE TIRE COVERED THE COST OF BALANCING AND THE COST OF THE AIR STEMS. SO MUCH FOR TREATING THE CUSTOMER RIGHT. JUST RANTING BUT MAN THAT BURNED ME UP.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Wally world is not a tire store,, Tire Kingdom, is a tire store, HUDSON tire Company is a tire store..wally world is a combination, clothing, sports, groceries, car parts, catch all store.. And they dont have the best tires in the world either..[:0]

What kind of replacement guarantee did ya get, how about road hazards (Punctures) , or even rotation at six months??

The place I get my tires, provides all that. and my tires arent all that much more expensive than what you bought at Wally world..
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, seems that's the way it is any more.[:(]
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how long has it been since you bought a tire? of course you have to pay for mounting and disposal. what were you thinking? did i hear someone say...assume? if it didnt say 58.00 MOUNTED, you fell for the marketing ploy and chalk one up for poor consumer savy.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:RETREAD GUYS,
    There are still retread places?
    BEST1.jpg
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    yeppers,, I think there is still a big one in Radcliff Kentucky..here is one in South Dakota..http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Well ... I'll be! haven't seen one of them, in
    these parts, for years![:0]
    BEST1.jpg
  • magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The state requires the disposal fee be collected.
  • RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
    edited November -1
    I like Wal-Mart tires. They have one made by Goodyear. Had a set on my explorer and got 100,000 miles on them. I live on a farm and take my tires with me. Just keep your eyes open and ask for the bottom live price with all the necessities.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest going to a local tire shop where you get treated like a customer, not like a number at a wal-mart, maybe you pay a little more but they usually throw in a mount and balance for a few dollars extra for the entire set, and valve stems to go with it.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Discount Tires, big chain here. They do not charge for stems, just put them in, no extra for balanceing, patch tires bought there free, rotate and re-balance free. My Michelins are spendy though.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...just go to a tire store that deals only in tires, there are several big name stores. Pick your tire, ask the out the door price, and have them write the tire # and price on their biz card, and say thanks.

...Go to another store that carries the SAME model tire, and ask them the bottom line price, if it is higher than the price you already have gotten, tell them look, see this? I can get the same deal for THIS price over there, so what can you beat them by? Then repeat the process, till you are happy with the price.
    ...I did this on a set of mich. xlch(?) and bought the same set of tires for almost $350 less than the first quote!...and bought them from the same tire store!!...different franchise owner.

...I do this with tires, stereo equip, etc., always works, somebody will beat the other guy to get your biz., when you hear "I can't beat that price", and it's already a lot lower than the first price you got, it's probably time to buy from that person...it worlks...[:D]

...In 4hrs. and 4 stores I went from $900+ for a Kenwood tuner, amp, and servo turntable,...to $400 out the door, and the guy threw in a pair of good Kosch(sp ck) head phones), and this was from a store that was considered the Highest of high for stereo equip.

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sams club is the ONLY place I'll buy tires, free rotations and road hazard warranty to boot.
  • yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I order my tires from www.tirerack.com. They have great prices and selection, roadside hazard, plus they find a local garage to put them on for ya[:)]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I bought a set of tires from tirerack and even with shipping and a road hazzard warranty ($38) they were a lot cheaper than the tire places.

When I had them installed at Mr Tire, the bill was about $125 for all 4 tires including making the best of the remaining my spare.

http://www.tirerack.com/
  • hovan2002hovan2002 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm a manager of a tire store.f.y.i. tires store are so competitive that they dont make a profit from selling just a tire as a matter of fact we sell some tires for less than what we paid.you complain about being charged 10-12 bucks for valve stems, mounting and balancing but you dont think about what it cost us to do that work.a good tire tech gets paid between 8-12 an hour, my balancing machine cost me 8,000 dollars, my mounting machine cost 5,000 and my alignment machine cost 150,00 plus the fact that i have to pay to send someone to school to learn how to use that equipment. most people are out of breath just changing a flat on the side of the road, the guys are under pressure to do it fast so the customer...you..doesnt have to wait too long. the service writer should have quoated you an out the door price w/ tax included that way you wouldnt have gotten your shorts in an up roar. how much grief did you give that poor guy? as for buying tires somewhere is and having them mounted at a tire store...news for you guys..your paying double of what it would have cost you at the tire dealer. folks, you live in a capatilistic society, thats what makes this country stong, free enterprise, did you make that much of a fuss when your mac donald hamburgers went up in price, i doubt it...
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work in a wrecking yard that buys late model,low milage wrecks.We get lots of like new tires in all sizes.They sell them to the employees at very cheap prices and we have out own tire machine.Got a couple extra sets of 15 inch steel studded tires for winter driving stashed.We always have at least one car or truck with 15 inch tires and you can't buy steel studded tires anymore.
    EvilDr235
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I just buy junkyard tires. All they have to be is sorta round, sorta black, and sorta hold air. Don't have to worry about balancing tires when nothing else on your car is.

Either Sam's Club or Farm and Fleet. Farm and Fleet acctualy lets costomers into the shop to show them problems with thir car. I had to put tires on my Explorer back in October. I thought it was just a thrown wheel weight, so I told them to just rebalance them. Low and behold, one tire's plys were seaperated and the other three wern't too far behind. These were the tires the truck came with from the dealer back in July. The guys at F&F set me up with a new set of four Cooper's with out having to make an appointment, and it was at the end of the buisnes day. That's good service.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Hovan - you should be happy then if I buy my tires on the web and have your store mount them. If you make next to nothing or take a loss on the tire, then the services that I would get, balancing, mounting and such, should give you the same or more profit. Also I am not sure how you figure I pay double by getting them online at tirerack. These are not made up numbers. If you give me a price, and it is cheaper on the web, how is that going to change once I come in and get the tires? Are you going to magically take 50% off the bill when I go to pay?

As far as junkyard tires - I would do that except I actually drive my vehicle - on roads. [:p]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't state so from experience, but I believe there must be a terrible markup on tires. We buy very expensive Goodyear Eagles for our patrol cars, the same tires that cost something like $120 a copy in a tire shop. Direct from Goodyear, they are about $40 each.

Not to plug Fleabay, but I have gotten some pretty good deals on take-offs there. I have bought tires mounted on wheels and I have bought just the tires. Most I have paid for tires AND wheels AND lugs AND caps was $375.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can be cheap (frugal) on everything else, but never get cheap with lights, rubber, or brakes. These items are a genuine safety issue; the rest just makes you feel good and the neighbors envious.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walmart and Sams Club both charge about $9-$10 per tire (for new tires)for mount and lifetime balance, free rotation, free repair and free road hazard warranty. Bought some at each of those places as well as at Discount Tire who had about the same kind of deal. Walmart will mount them cheaper (like $4.50 if you don't want the other benefits). I have 5 vehicles so it seems like I'm always buying tires. Also-Walmart charges about $20 for lifetime rotation. Buy it once for your new vehicle/original equipment tires and they will rotate them every 6000 miles for free. You don't have to take advantage of this- and maybe they won't be so crowded the next time I need mine done.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Am I the only guy that just sneeks into a dealership at night and cranks down the fullsize spares under trucks....j/k!!

I rent cars and swap out my wheels with theirs....at $35 for a rental it's a bargain![:p][:p]

I am kidding folks. I shop around for the best deal. Used tires are being used as a fuel sorce for power plants. They shred them up and feed the rubber dust into the burner reducing fuel costs. Some states use that fine rubber dust in asphalt to pave highways now. Reduces highway construction costs.