In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what do your FFL's charge you?

sorhabwesleysorhabwesley Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I bought an item on gunbroker.com, a rifle...5.56 DPMS panther. I live in Hawaii. I am being charged 10% of this stores IN STORE COST price of the same rifle (this store that is in the middle of the pacific ocean on an island) they sell it for 1800$ I paid 899$ on gunbroker..I am MANDATED by federal law to ship it through them or a FFL dealer in general. Do all dealers charge you 10% of their cost in store just because you didn't buy from them? JUST TO RECIEVE the item in the mail?

Yes I didn't look around at different dealers..I just figured the biggest gun dealer in the Islands would have the best deal.

I am getting my own FLL now, I am not going to pay for someone elses again...

So is this a common thing among FFL holders/dealers?

Comments

• dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I charge $20.00 + MI sales tax.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    0 he doesnt charge me for transfers
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you get kissed.

Flat fee $25- $30 in this area.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I bet the FFL in Hi. is laughing as hard as I am right now. [:D]
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    $25--- I called around to check with others FFLs, and many wouldnt recieve anything that they sold
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Mine said $100 plus the DROS fees so $135 total. I found another one that was $100 total.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pay $20.00 flat fee and no tax for internet purchases.

AT
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    25.00 and i don't care what you buy..10 min for paper work i get more word of mouth sales [^]cause i am fair
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm lucky!
    My cousin's husband is an FFL. Free transfers!!
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10%?? How did you find such a cheap FFL?
    Mine charges me a flat 15.

$15 that is.
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mt FFL was charging me nothing when he died.[xx(] I found another local guy who wants $40.00.[:(!] I got my own C&R.[:D]
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I transfered 3 firearms yesterday ranging from 250.00 to 4500.00 and they all payed 20.00 for the transfer.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $15 flat rate

I went to go see,go to the home page of the auctions and look up transfer dealers,there are several listed in your area for a flat $50
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
    edited November -1
    One guy charges me $25 and a fellow I know fairly well charges me $20.
  • M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local guy here does it for $10.00 a transfer
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I charge $25.00. The 10% of value or a minimum of $25.00 is starting to become popular. This is to discourage potential customers from buying elswhere.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    any where from "free" to $20
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can understand how a storefront dealer who sells guns for a living might not be all that thrilled about you wanting him to transfer a gun for you that he would or does sell in his store. He has to pay rent, employee salaries, taxes and fees, utilities, insurance and all the other associated costs with doing business and must mark up the guns he sells to a point where he covers these costs and makes something for himself.

Maybe he puts $75 in his pocket from your rifle purchase. So here you come with an ad from Shotgun News showing a gun he sells for $800 but you can order it from this outfit for $600. So, he should do this for you for $15? He's losing $75 by you NOT buying it from him. So he charges enough transfer fee to justify losing the sale. You can agree or disagree with this policy, but I hope you can at least see his point.

A better option for transfers are dealers who operate from home ("kitchen table dealers") or businesses who have FFL but don't rely solely on gun sales or at least new gun sales, like pawn shops. Pawn dealers often see a transfer as $20 for 10 minutes work and since they don't really sell guns for a living it's worth it to them. The home FFL has much lower overhead and generally keeps no inventory he has to push so he's a better bet for low transfer fees, too.

I don't think it's fair to complain about a shop owner trying to make a living.

As to your original question, I used to use a local pawn shop that charged $15 until the owner changed the store into a full-fledged gun shop and raised the fee to $50. I didn't complain, I just moved on.

There is a pawn shop near work that still charges $20 and I have a small store front dealer (has a location but no inventory, does special orders and transfers only) who charges $15. His hours are a bit inconvenient as he is only there by appointment. His full time job is as a medical doctor, BTW. Obviously does this for fun rather than seriously needing the money.

One FFL who is a member of this forum does transfers for free. But he is 60 miles away and by the time I make the drive it's cheaper to pay $20.

Some places that are more urban are costlier because it costs more to be in business. State or cities that are generally unfriendly towards guns (like California where high transfer fees are the norm) make having an FFL difficult which causes them to charge more for the hassle and also limits competition by driving some guys out of the business. Something like that may happen in Hawaii, a beautiful but anti-gun state.

Always bear in mind that while you can save a few bucks by doing a transfer opposed to retail store shopping, you lose the personal touch and any support after the sale. Make your choice.

There is a list of transfer dealers on the GB home page. Ask around. Find your best deal.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    10%?? How did you find such a cheap FFL?
    Mine charges me a flat 15.

$15 that is.

10% at this store is going to be 180 bucks!

I have a friend that does it for $20 bucks and every once in awhile for free, it costs him nothing.

The discounts he gets on ammo, parts and accessories pays for the annual licensing fees.

The local store recently put up a sign that stated they would now charge 40 bucks they used to charge 10-15
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Transfer + registration fees: $110
    Finders fee: 15% <
    Whatever this may be.
    Sales tax: 7%

[V]

Near impossible for me to purchase from GunBroker.
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Tennessee: $20 for a gun up to $1000 in value. $10 to TICS for background check (government gets it, not me). Sales tax on the $20.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pay nothing up to $20, depends on how much business I have done during the time a transfer is needed. Have purchased a large amount of items from this dealer over the past few years, so usually I don't pay anything. When he says no charge, I generally drop atleast $10 in his lunch jar.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    You can understand how a storefront dealer who sells guns for a living might not be all that thrilled about you wanting him to transfer a gun for you that he would or does sell in his store. He has to pay rent, employee salaries, taxes and fees, utilities, insurance and all the other associated costs with doing business and must mark up the guns he sells to a point where he covers these costs and makes something for himself.

Maybe he puts $75 in his pocket from your rifle purchase. So here you come with an ad from Shotgun News showing a gun he sells for $800 but you can order it from this outfit for $600. So, he should do this for you for $15? He's losing $75 by you NOT buying it from him. So he charges enough transfer fee to justify losing the sale. You can agree or disagree with this policy, but I hope you can at least see his point.

A better option for transfers are dealers who operate from home ("kitchen table dealers") or businesses who have FFL but don't rely solely on gun sales or at least new gun sales, like pawn shops. Pawn dealers often see a transfer as $20 for 10 minutes work and since they don't really sell guns for a living it's worth it to them. The home FFL has much lower overhead and generally keeps no inventory he has to push so he's a better bet for low transfer fees, too.

I don't think it's fair to complain about a shop owner trying to make a living.

As to your original question, I used to use a local pawn shop that charged $15 until the owner changed the store into a full-fledged gun shop and raised the fee to $50. I didn't complain, I just moved on.

There is a pawn shop near work that still charges $20 and I have a small store front dealer (has a location but no inventory, does special orders and transfers only) who charges $15. His hours are a bit inconvenient as he is only there by appointment. His full time job is as a medical doctor, BTW. Obviously does this for fun rather than seriously needing the money.

One FFL who is a member of this forum does transfers for free. But he is 60 miles away and by the time I make the drive it's cheaper to pay $20.

Some places that are more urban are costlier because it costs more to be in business. State or cities that are generally unfriendly towards guns (like California where high transfer fees are the norm) make having an FFL difficult which causes them to charge more for the hassle and also limits competition by driving some guys out of the business. Something like that may happen in Hawaii, a beautiful but anti-gun state.

Always bear in mind that while you can save a few bucks by doing a transfer opposed to retail store shopping, you lose the personal touch and any support after the sale. Make your choice.

There is a list of transfer dealers on the GB home page. Ask around. Find your best deal.

That's assuming you are going to buy it at the higher price. All the dealers around here act like you are taking food from their children's mouths. The cheapest I could find wanted $75. So I just didn't buy the gun at all.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Hawaii has a big bridge tax eh?
    we used to say there was a bridge tax when I lived on Whidbey Island because everything there was 10% higher than on the mainland. Last gun I bought online the guy charged me 25 dollars to receive. the guy I used to use raised his price to 50 bucks...not going to pay that much for the privledge of paying more than anyone else in the US for a gun, then adding shipping, and an ffl fee on top of it when I can go to a gunshow and find what I want.
    Thats why I think it is rediculus to buy any new gun online.
  • thermonuculerthermonuculer Member Posts: 100
    edited November -1
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Two on the GB list
    one sells no guns: $55
    (list says $25... he says GB wont let him change it)
    Other one listed no longer does transfers.
    Indoor Shooting Range/pawnshop: $50
    Gunstore: $85
    $8 NICS
    Fl sales tax 7%
    Add shipping,(I can get a long gun shipped from WV for $15 and a instate seller wants $35)
    It doesn't make sense to buy online.

Allen
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuculer
    love-smiley-076.gif

Thats why I asked if he got Kissed[xx(]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Some dealers plain just rip folks off.

One shop local here charges $50 per $500 of retail value. Retail $501? $100 transfer. Plus sales tax on full price plus xfer fee (another 6.25%)

Another shop won't even do transfers at all, even for someone inheriting an item from out of state. Literally will chase people out the door screaming and yelling.

But then the shop I deal with and help out at shows with does it for $25 flat fee, including phone call ...
  • misstmisst Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gets tricky when you own a shop and try to make a living doing it. YOu want to get your customers good deals, keep them coming back. Regular customer, transfer of used gun $25. Really good customer, free. But when it comes to new guns not in stock, I order them the gun for 10% above wholesale & sales tax. If I can't order the gun because of availability, than its a flat $25 transfer fee.

My reason for this: I think you would all agree that 10% above wholesale is reasonable. Let's say a gun wholesales for $800 and I charge $889 & 9% sales tax, total $969.01. My profit $80 after shipping. Reasonable, right? Customer orders gun on internet from another dealer, $889, $25 shipping & $25 transfer fee. Their total cost $939, no sales tax. Internet dealer makes $80. customer saves $30, it cost me $55 loss in profits.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $20.00 and that included the shipping on a long gun the last time.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20-30 flat fee
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 to 25 bucks.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NC 25.00 no tax on internet but due to people not following the rules they will only accept firearms from other FFL's now.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    65.oo is what my Guy wants to charge me. used to be 35.00
    I used to buy all my hunting/shooting supplies from him.
    I need to find a new Guy,................
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Dang I'm glad to live in a country that doesn't have all that x-rap.

Free transfer, no registration, no bacgroundcheck, no permits, heck - not even an age-limit.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1