In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who Open Carries at Home?

River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Didn't want to hijack RackOps' thread on Open Carry, hence this new topic. I'm curious how many GBers elect to open carry when they are on their property, or in their home. I realize there are several who may choose to not disclose their status.

I do not open carry at home, although a loaded "go to" gun is never far away.

Note: we are all aware that, should the culture, economy, political climate, or other factors disintegrate dramatically, how we conduct ourselves in our homes and on our properties may change.

That leads to my second question: has your conduct in regard to concealed or open carry at home changed over the past few years?

Comments

• Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I open carry more often than I conceal carry. It's nice being a resident of a state that had legal open carry long before legalizing concealed carry.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    when mowing the lawn (riding mower) I have a single shot 20ga with me... occasionally have rattlesnake issues...
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    I always do what the situation calls for.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Always open carry at home & property.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    open carry is not legal in massachusetts on public property. you can elect to carry openly in your place of business without much in the way of hassle, but walking around your property(in a neighborhood) with a gun in plain sight has different possibilities depending on your neighbors.

my friend thom who lives a few blocks away could do it without a problem. he lives at the end of a dead end and his two closest neighbors are simpatico.

i could not. my neighbor across the way would call the police. of course, my neighbor on the other side is a cop in this town, so it would likely result in little more than a "hey *, dont do that again" type of lecture.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever I feel like it, which is not often.
    I don't seem to see many threats where I live,......trust me though, one is always close at hand.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    In my home, always something within reach.

Outside - still working on changing state residency so no go for me right now. I'll be bringing the proverbial knife to a gunfight if the situation arises.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Open carry when I feel the need. I have a widowed neighbor, across the street, who hears noises at 3 or 4 in the morning. She calls me, and I'm over there, with a gun on my hip every time.

And before someone says something, no, there is nothing sexual to it!!!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I always do what the situation calls for.

..Me too. If an unknown car pulls in the driveway, I strap on. It tends to send solicitors and J.W.'s on their way.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    always when I am home, outside on my property.
    people feel safe at their homes, let their guard down.
    thats when things go bad pretty damn quick.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Whenever I feel like it, which is not often.
    I don't seem to see many threats where I live,......trust me though, one is always close at hand.

Same for me
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I carried around here, the cows would laugh at me. I always have an old .30-30 in a scabbard on the Foreman.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    the day the secret service came for a visit, after the talk, then they started ask a form question number 4 was do you own any guns.
    I told him I was as close to mine as he was to his. freaked him out, then he ask why, I explained that if I had a home invasion I could no go running for a gun, then he ask if I was paranoid, thats when I threw both of them out.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bracket on the tractor cab for a rifle, the 4-wheeler has a gun carrying thing-ah-am-bob in the front rack. In the house, within easy reach.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I'm on my property I always cary a sidearm. I'm usually riding the Mule around our place with a rifle or shotgun mounted on it.
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just depends whether the wife is mad at me...

[:o)]
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Open carry when I feel the need. I have a widowed neighbor, across the street, who hears noises at 3 or 4 in the morning. She calls me, and I'm over there, with a gun on my hip every time.

shouldnt the gun be stuck in her hip....nothing like an early morning "racoon in the trash" booty call..[:0][:D]
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on how I left the house that day. It is whatever I have at the time, open carry still open, concealed still concealed. Didn't leave the house, still within easy reach.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only time is when Iam cutting the grass or walking around outside my cabin. Bears are plentiful.[;)] Got chased by one a few years back and now I dont chance it.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i carry all the time[;)][:0]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry ever where I go when at home there is always ag un within 5 feet of me. Sometimes I carry out in the yard but not all the time. This is when I'd be most vulnerable.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

And before someone says something, no, there is nothing sexual to it!!!

Be an even BETTER friend and take her out to the range, get her proficient, and then help her buy her own gun. You can't always be there and she is definitely vulnerable as a single woman. [:)]
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I carry the same way at home or on the job. there's a sig 238 in my back pocket as i'm typing this.

tom
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always carry, at home, or in public. Sometimes open carry, sometimes concealed, sometimes both, at home or in public.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I don't "carry" at home. No need...