In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Savage Stevens

KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
Been reading folks thoughts on Savage rifles. I think I might buy a 7 mag after reading all the positive things said about them and their price.

My question has to do with the "Stevens". Is this a budget version of a Savage kinda like Maverick is to Mossberg? My understanding of Maverick is its a budget version of a Mossberg.

So give me the lowdown on the difference from a Savage Stevens and just a Savage. Heres a link to one of the Stevens http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61578760

Comments

• bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Kodiakk,

Read your post a few days ago and finally decided to pass on some info for your consideration. I do have an older model Savage 99 but no experience with the new ones except.......Last month, at a WhiteTails Unlimited dinner, my wife's name was drawn as winner of a Savege/Stevens model 200 bolt action rifle in .270 caliber. A friend at the same table had won the same rifle in .30-06 caliber. WTU is like Ducks Unlimited and has chapters in many states. I think this model has only been out about a year, but may stand corrected.

The rifle has a nice deep dark blue finish to the metal. The stock is synthetic gray, 'checkered' pistol grip and foreend. The action is pillar bedded to the stock. Your item lists 6.5 pounds as the weight. I put it on my electronic fish scale and it tipped out several times at 7 pounds 3 ounces. I hope it doesn't lie..... The rifle feels heavier than others. It has built in studs for sling swivels. The action has no provision for open sights. The receiver is drilled for a 4-screw mount, 2 up front and 2 on the rear of the rounded receiver. Weaver makes front and rear mounts that fit nicely. I took the dimensions of the receiver holes as marks on paper of a Leupold 1-piece mount at a gunshow yesterday as none of the dealers had heard of this model and pleaded ignorance of it. I laid it out on the receiver this morning and the holes match perfectly to the receiver. I have used this type on an older rifle with the swing-on dovetail front mount and screw on rear type. Works great without losing zero. If the scope rings allow adequate opening of the bolt, this is the type I will be moounting. I assume they will.

Our friend had a Bushnell mounted on his (not sure of the type of mount) and sighted it in just before deer season a couple weeks ago. He said it shot nice, appeared to be accurate, and carried it a couple days during season. Didn't say anything about the weight.

Hope this gives you some insight. Regards, Bob