Anyone ever take Mucinex?

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,190 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Earlier today I took some of this stuff the wife bought called Mucinex to help clear out sinus and lung congestion. Stuff made me loopy as heck! Doesn't say anything about that on the package, but I almost hit a cow in the truck. Anybody else have a weird experience with this stuff?

I was driving back from the tire shop after getting the wife some new tires on her car. The dog was with me. I'm on a dirt road driving by the next ranch over and my brain is telling me there's a cow in the road. Shelby has her nose pasted on the windshield going "Dad, there's a cow in the road!" I can see there's a cow in the road, but somehow I wasn't reacting to it.

Fortunately I wasn't going to fast, but I wasn't slowing down either. I got practically right up on the cow and my brain was saying 'you're slowing down' (but I wasn't). Next thing you know, my nards took over the whole situation "HOLY poop THERE'S A FREAKING COW IN THE ROAD...RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!" <swerve>.

Just about wound up in the ditch! Didn't hit anything, but I had to stop for a second and get my wits. Drove the last mile or two home real slow.

Weird. I don't know if it was just the Mucinex or a reaction to that and something else (maybe BP meds???). Anyway, very strange.

Comments

• Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    They make several different kinds. I used the sinus and chest stuff two weeks ago with no ill effects. But I did take it just before bed.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    They make quite a few versions. My wife swears by the stuff. It doesn't do a darned thing for me, though.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    I've had a similar reaction after purchasing new tires. The scent of the rubber combined with the shock to my wallet has caused me to hear dogs talk as well as other anomalies. The Mucinex, may indeed, have played a role by exacerbating your already debilitated mental condition. What you might wish to try is some investigative experimentation. For instance, after the shock of fiscal expenditure has abated somewhat, lock yourself in the garage while the smell of the new tires is still strong. Pop a couple of Mucinex and then call Shelby on the cell phone. An extended conversation could signal other problems. Next, take only a prescribed amount of the sinus meds just before sending me a money order in the sum exactly matching what you spent on the tires. Listen for Shelby to call YOU on the cell phone. If she doesn't call, it's probably what I initially diagnosed and you have little to worry about. Just try to avoid driving after purchasing tires in the future, that is, if you're suffering from sinus difficulties. I hope this helps.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works great for me and doesn't react with my BP meds
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ramtinxxl
    I've had a similar reaction after purchasing new tires. The scent of the rubber combined with the shock to my wallet has caused me to hear dogs talk as well as other anomalies. The Mucinex, may indeed, have played a role by exacerbating your already debilitated mental condition. What you might wish to try is some investigative experimentation. For instance, after the shock of fiscal expenditure has abated somewhat, lock yourself in the garage while the smell of the new tires is still strong. Pop a couple of Mucinex and then call Shelby on the cell phone. An extended conversation could signal other problems. Next, take only a prescribed amount of the sinus meds just before sending me a money order in the sum exactly matching what you spent on the tires. Listen for Shelby to call YOU on the cell phone. If she doesn't call, it's probably what I initially diagnosed and you have little to worry about. Just try to avoid driving after purchasing tires in the future, that is, if you're suffering from sinus difficulties. I hope this helps.

I'll try that...next time!

[:D][:D][:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 63,008 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , I finished the last two in the bottle. Wife goes out yesterday and gets some more. Pills are larger. Instead of two for adults you take one. Damn good thing I read the label these are extra strenght ones.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    If you have high blood pressure there are alot of decongestants you should not take. Obviously, dont take it again. If I were you, I would talk to my Dr. or pharmacist about a good decongestant for people with High Blood Pressure. You dont need to be having a stroke or heart attack etc.
  • JustCJustC Member, Moderator Posts: 16,038 ******
    edited November -1
    well, as you are aware, I was somewhat under the weather for a period of time this year[B)][:)] and I was using the hell out of it. When I went in for the first go round of antibiotics for bronchitus, my BP was 160/110, and I am 36yrs old[:0] I figured I just had high BP and took the scrip for the meds as well as the antibiotic. Some 2 weeks later, I went back for the second set of antibiotics, and my BP was 120/85. Until you brought this up, I never made the connection[?] Since I was using mucinex and several other medicines to battle my condition, it may very well have been connected,..however I did ask the doc about the mucinex and he stated it may raise it A LITTLE, but not as high as mine was.

However, I am only taking 5mg (the smallest dose) of BP meds, and the 2 weeks of it brought me down to the 120/85. Makes me wonder if the cold meds made me falsely high when I went in[?]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken the plain Mucinex,.......no issues at all.
    All it does is thin the mucous so you can get it out easier.

I NEVER take anything with a decongestant in it.
    It raises my BP, and heart rate as well.

I think there are 3 varieties of Mucinex,.....the plain expectorant, with decongestant, and with decongestant and cough suppressant.

The plain stuff simply makes you cough up tons of crap easier, and blow your nose like a fiend. If you have hypertension, decongestants are a BIG no-no.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gun_runner
    If you have high blood pressure there are alot of decongestants you should not take. Obviously, dont take it again. If I were you, I would talk to my Dr. or pharmacist about a good decongestant for people with High Blood Pressure. You dont need to be having a stroke or heart attack etc.

FYI Mucinex is NOT a decongestant, it is an expectorant.

Decongestant: any drug used to relieve swelling of the nasal mucosa accompanying such conditions as the common cold and hay fever. When administered in nasal sprays or drops or in devices for inhalation, decongestants shrink the mucous membranes lining the nasal cavity by contracting the muscles of blood vessel walls, thus reducing blood flow to the inflamed areas. The constricting action chiefly affects the smallest arteries, the arterioles, although capillaries, veins, and larger arteries respond to some degree.

Expectorant: A medication that helps bring up mucus and other material from the lungs, bronchi, and trachea. An example of as expectorant is guaifenesin which promotes drainage of mucus from the lungs by thinning the mucus and also lubricates the irritated respiratory tract. Sometimes the term "expectorant" is incorrectly extended to any cough medicine. From the Latin expectorare, to expel from the chest, from ex-, out of + pectus, chest.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid

Decongestant: any drug used to relieve swelling of the nasal mucosa accompanying such conditions as the common cold and hay fever. When administered in nasal sprays or drops or in devices for inhalation, decongestants shrink the mucous membranes lining the nasal cavity by contracting the muscles of blood vessel walls, thus reducing blood flow to the inflamed areas. The constricting action chiefly affects the smallest arteries, the arterioles, although capillaries, veins, and larger arteries respond to some degree.

Expectorant: A medication that helps bring up mucus and other material from the lungs, bronchi, and trachea. An example of as expectorant is guaifenesin which promotes drainage of mucus from the lungs by thinning the mucus and also lubricates the irritated respiratory tract. Sometimes the term "expectorant" is incorrectly extended to any cough medicine. From the Latin expectorare, to expel from the chest, from ex-, out of + pectus, chest.

See my post above,........it comes in 3 varieties.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I do not understand why people would take Mucinex DM. Our Dr will not let us purchase or give it out when we are doing clinical medicine on fires.

The point of the expectorant is to break up and drain the mucus from the chest. Once it is to the point you get it out of your body by COUGHING it up. Why do you want a cough suppressant to stop you from doing that. Seems like sneezing and plugging your nose, you are sneezing to get the crap out of your body.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I do not understand why people would take Mucinex DM. Our Dr will not let us purchase or give it out when we are doing clinical medicine on fires.

The point of the expectorant is to break up and drain the mucus from the chest. Once it is to the point you get it out of your body by COUGHING it up. Why do you want a cough suppressant to stop you from doing that. Seems like sneezing and plugging your nose, you are sneezing to get the crap out of your body.

I agree,......defeats the purpose IMHO.

They also have MucinexD with the typical pseudoephedrine in it.
    I can't take any of that stuff.
    The DM is with dextromethorphan for cough, but no pseudophedrine.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    There are several varieties of Mucinex. Some do include a decongestant along with the expectorant. FYI[;)]quote:Originally posted by Nwcid