In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you clean a leather coat?

SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in General Discussion
I have a really nice leather coat, and I accidentally left it at my uncles house over the summer....and he smokes...so now my jacket smells like cigarettes. I took it too the dry cleaner but they said they cant clean leather and they had no idea who could...so what should I do?

sg_550_neu_gr.jpg

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas

Comments

• Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Go to a tack shop and buy a can of leather soap.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I would hang ot outside for a few days(sheltered of coarse. The fresh air will clean it. Put it in the sun if you know it isnt going to rain.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Take it to a dry cleaning business that does leather items. Low cost and you don't take a chance on mucking it up yourself.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

Never argue with an idiot...They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    There are lots of leather cleaners out there. Someone mentioned the leather soap that is my first thought as well but any place that sells quality leather coats or saddles will have a leather cleaner.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    There are lots of leather cleaners out there. Someone mentioned the leather soap that is my first thought as well but any place that sells quality leather coats or saddles will have a leather cleaner.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Just hang it outside on a porch. That's what I do when i go to the bars or friends houses that smoke.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I drink a few beers and pee all over it then run over it with the truck a few times. Gives it that broken in feel.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    We had the same problem with our dog naked,,, he fell in love with this skunk last month,,,,, and BOY! did he stink.....we filled the bath tub with tomato juice and soak him in it,, now he smells like a flower. You no maybe you can can can [:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    What color is it???? If its black treat it with Black leather mate,, if its any other color treat it with clear Leather mate ..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its a carmel type brown.

sg_550_neu_gr.jpg

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The sun will take out just about any odors. If you can hang it outside in the sun that will work. Since most of the smoke smell will be in the liner, turn it inside out and let the sun shine on the inside too.

One of my hobbies is Civil War Reenacting. Part of the hobby is looking the part, of course. Soldiers back then didn't have access to getting their uniforms cleaned, so they wore them till they wore them out, then obtained more. If you go to a Civil War reenactment and see a soldier wearing a 'clean' uniform, he's a newbie!

After going to a reenactment, and wearing the same clothes for 2 or 3 days, you can bet the stink factor is really high. A soldier wants to look dirty, but not stink at the start of the next reenactment.

So when I get home, I hang my uniform out on the clothesline in the sun. It still looks nasty, but the stink is gone!

If the sun can do that for my Civil War uniform, I'm sure it can take out a little smoke smell!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use saddle soap on my dogs' collars when they roll in * crap. Seems to work well on that smell, so I would guess it would work on tobacco.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    try a different dry cleaners. as someone else mentioned, i wouldnt risk that chance of screwing it up yourself with the myriad of products on the market. pay someone else to do it

--Laws too gentle are seldom obeyed; too severe, seldom executed--

--The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them--

--It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind--
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    i don't. i get my wif to do it. [}:)][;)]

Shaving cream and a soft brush/sponge.
  • Options
    riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just air it out
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have said find a dry cleaner that will do leather I take mine in every fall to have it done. It is a lot better than running the risk of messing it up, besides the results you get out of having it done are far better than anything you could do yourself.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SK,

1) find a computer
    2) use "google" search
    3) type in "leather cleaning"
    4) click on 'go'

AMAZING, over 3.5 million hits to choose from, should be a solution to your problem in there!

"all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten" Robert Fulghum

anyone who says "nobody needs a full auto" has never been in front of a brown bear charge
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Saddle soap, works great. You might want to rub it down with Neatsfoot oil after cleaning it.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know if I should put any chemicals on it myself...its a very nice coat and I dont want to mess it up. Ill probably just hang it out in the sun and see if that works.

How long does it usually take for the smell to leave by leaving it in the sun?

sg_550_neu_gr.jpg

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    a day should do it.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif