In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Martial Arts / Tae Kwon Do

ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in General Discussion
I am fourteen, just started High School, and have been taking Tae Kwon Do for a coulple of months. I am a yellow belt which is the third belt in our ranking system. I am just asking and wondering what other people have experienced, in martial arts. Thanks for the info. My instructor is a first degree black belt, but will be testing for second degree sometime in December. [^]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."Temperance.gif

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I started martial arts at or about the same time you did, as a freshman in high school. I studied many different forms over the years and enjoyed them all. Most forms are in 3 catogories, exersize, sport and self defense. Enjoy the experience. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I started Tae Kwon Do when I was in grade school and competed for quite a few years. I thought it was a lot of fun. I have always wanted to study Ken Po(sp?). It is more self-defense oriented.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Tea Kwon Do is more mixed then traditional Tae Kwon Do. Since my instructor has trained in various martial arts he teaches those to us. The other ones are hapkido and ground fighting.

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."Temperance.gif
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is great, to be taking martial arts at age 14.
    A young, flexible guy would be able to get real good at those high kicks.
    I have taken tae kwon do for 6 months. I also took Japanese karate for a year and a half, and have taken some aikido and hapkido.
    Tae kwon do is an effective self defense form. If you should fight someone who is good, and knows what you are doing, he will grab your leg when you do a spinning high kick, take you to the ground, and tie you up in a knot.
    Usually though, if you had to get into a fight, it would be with someone who didn't realize that he was about to get kicked in the jaw, and a kick to the head is very effective when you can land it.
    Hapkido is a more effective street fighting technique, with all those jiu jitsu joint locks.
    To combine the Tae Kwon Do with Hapkido and ground fighting means you are in a good school.
    Try to stick with it two years at least. After two years you will be a formidable fighter.

Japanese karate is a good fighting style. It is the opposite of Tae Kwon Do, no high kicks. Lots of kicks to the knee, belly, and groin, and rib punches.
    It is funny, Japanese hate Koreans, Koreans hate Japanese. So when you take a Japanese style, you are taught that the Korean style is no good. When I took the Korean style, I was taught that the Japanese was no good. I never understood that argument, both styles have very effective techniques.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have studied several forms of Martial Arts. Tae Kwon Do is more of a sport/show style. If you are studying for self defence, you may find some other styles much more effective. Just my .02[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like I said before, it is a combined martial arts. We study a lot of self-defense actually. [^]

• Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i studied a few different martial arts..started out in ishinryu...then went to korean...tang soo do...got my black belt in that then went to tae kwon do..my master was byong moon park..had my 2nd degree black belt at the age of 19...had a few challanges of my skill in life.but as a student that learned the right path...used it only as a last resort....learn the true art for what it is and forget the hype of tv and movies...your skill will be much better and so will you as a person...congrats on the yellow belt!

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Kris, it was very rewarding to get it.