In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Coffee-can't believe this!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Coffee Drinkers Beware: A New Warning

Your addiction to caffeine is so real that some leading U.S. scientists want to have it officially labeled as a mental disorder. If you love your morning coffee and just can't start the day without it, you're right. Do this and no one will get hurt: Keep drinking it. It's when you suddenly decide to stop drinking coffee, that the trouble begins. Researchers from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md. and American University in Washington, D.C. have determined that as little as one cup of coffee a day does cause caffeine addiction and withdrawal is painful.

The researchers reviewed 170 years of studies on caffeine and scientifically concluded what every coffee drinker already suspected. Miss your cup of java and you will get a severe headache, feel fatigued and grumpy, have difficulty concentrating, and possibly even feel too sick to go to work. Some people actually develop flu-like symptoms, including nausea and muscle pain. Experiments have shown that 50 percent of people got headaches when their coffee was taken away and 13 percent were sick enough to lose time at work, reports Reuters.

What's the point of all this? Lead study authors Roland Griffiths of Hopkins and Laura Juliano of AU want caffeine addiction to be recognized as a mental disorder and listed in the definitive reference text "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders."

But don't worry. The stigma of this mental disorder shouldn't be too great. About 90 percent of adults in North America drink caffeinated beverages regularly. Reuters reports that the average daily intake in the United States is about 280 milligrams, found in one to two mugs of coffee or three to five cans of soft drink. The study findings were published in the journal Psychopharmacology.

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!

Comments

• Options
    Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, this may be a great deal. At last we have something else to lay blame on. If I should go out and commit some horrendous act, such as lighting up a cigarette in a no smoking area, I can blame it on being deprived of my morning coffee. After all, I couldn't help it and it is really someone else's fault.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really, I can quit any time I want![:D]

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Trap: People have told me I'm not allowed to quit [:D]
    Grumpy without coffee is and understatement here. [;)]
  • Options
    FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alledan
    some leading U.S. scientists want to have it officially labeled as a mental disorder.
    Addictions are not mental disorders or illnesses. [}:)]

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FreudianSlippers
    quote:Originally posted by alledan
    some leading U.S. scientists want to have it officially labeled as a mental disorder.
    Addictions are not mental disorders or illnesses. [}:)]

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)

I Agree
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Addictions are not mental disorders or illnesses.

I dunno, I get pretty mental without my coffee or smokes!

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duh!

The people who didn't know that caffiene was addictive are the same ones who thought smoking wasn't dangerous.

Give me a break.

I wonder if these researchers were using our tax dollars? If so, I have a study of my own I'd like to try; let's study how much money we WASTE studying things for which we already know the answers!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]Now I really need a drink![xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

On your mark-get set- go away!!