In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Search engine

celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
As you know last year gun brokers re-designed their search engine. In my opinion they fix something that wasn?t broke. I used to be able to find exactly what I wanted with their search engine. That is not the case anymore. Only thing I can see that they really accomplished is filling more pages with junk. When they added the description into the search engine it totally muddy the waters. Take for instance this morning I googled colt gold cup commander on the first page they were two. The next eight pages was a mix of right and wrong. The net result of their new search engine leave me frustrated and quite often I quit searching for something I need or want. The end result is I buy less. What say you.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Wow just tried doing a search on this site.. What a joke.. I have a cable modem and it took forever, anyone ever write for them to try to improve it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for a search,that I can find the name of an old business in the '70's...anyone help?
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could say that making search difficult would result in fewer sales. However, there aren't too many other gun sites with the numbers that GB has.

It's like FB. Where else ya gonna go? :(

When I worked at aol, I forget what we called it, but we worked to make aol so ingrained in customer lives that they couldn't leave. I've been using the same aol email address to log into things for over 20 years now. It'd be too painful to change everything to a gmail account at this point...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,355 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by celse
    What say you.
    I say the search works just fine, just a bit different. That requires changing the way one searches a little. We were told by Cap't Fun that the changes were to make GB more friendly to "mobile devices". I don't use mobile devices, but many do. GB most likely figured they were losing a fair amount of business because of the problems encountered trying to use those devices on GB.

If you do a forum search you will pull up past topics addressing this issue, and in them are some helpful hints about making searching work better.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you look up Colt Gold Cup.....you will get pages and pages....BUT...if you look off to the left you will see where it limits the search to "pistols". It will give you a list of how everything breaks down in the giant list of things you searched for....making it possible for you to look for specifics.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes me think of Amazon. Their search "sucks" but it's obvious they understand what they are doing.

Believe people get a wider range of price and choices and spend more time browsing and potentially buying.