In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

...case of mistaken identity....mark your gun

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Prior to the Pheasant season opening weekend, our local shotgun range was pretty busy one night....six different 870's were lined up in a rack along with 20 other shotguns. People coming and going...last 870 got picked from the rack, guy discovers it's not his...everyone else had gone home. Posted notes at the clubhouse, spread the word....that was three years ago, he still hasn't found his shotgun.

I'm sure this isn't the first time that has happened...

= nra2.gif

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    After three years, as long as he got an 870 equal to or better than the one someone mistakenly took home, who would care. Now if it was yesterday, different story

Was there a list of shooters for that day, most ranges have ya logged in, with home addy. I know ours does this. If so he could have personally contacted each person that attended..

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy called me this morning, in the conversation reminded me he still hadn't found his gun yet. Agreed, an 870 is an 870....guess his had some sentimental attachment (his first shotgun), the one he got had a few more "character" marks.

When shooters register they are not asked for address or phone number, just first name for the squad sheets...so that was a dead end.

= nra2.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    For the Shotgun ranges we go to the clubhouse and buy "Round Tickets" ya sign your name and address , but on the range just your first name is logged on the round log,

At the pistol and rifle range, ya sign in at the little office they got there, on the daily log in sheet.

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wrap a bandana or something around my barrel if there are alot of similar guns in the rack.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chris, the best ideas are often the simplest. Thanks! I will remember that one.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a Dyno-Marker, gold letters on a black background, to make ID tags with my wifes and my initals on it. Use a vertical format if your going to put it on the trigger guard, and the normal layout for receiver placement.
    Looks sharp, the black is very close to a good bluing color, and the gold looks almost like a inlay.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either leave your action open or put a muzzle cap on it. I've had alot of guns that had initials on the inside of the buttplate. And how bout' the guys that scribe SS #'s on their guns.
  • shenfooshenfoo Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    remove butt plate, install add.lable