In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ride Report and Interesting Traffic Ticket

ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
I went for a bike ride today (840 miles round trip, to Farmington, NM just for the heck of it) and, on the way back, got picked up along with another guy on a bike by AZ DPS for speeding. The officer was very nice and even ran a check on my gun and told me it wasn't stolen, and because I'd been so honest and cooperative with him he issued me a citation for "wasting a finite resource" (gasoline) instead of speeding. $32 ticket instead of $166.

How many other states have niceties like this, between a warning and a ticket? (It's still more expensive than the equivalent speeding ticket in ND, but it doesn't go on your record.)

Anyhow, here's a big thank-you to those law enforcement officers who know that motorcycles are safer ahead of traffic than between it and make reasonable compromises between the word of the law and the safety of bikers.

But I had a great ride. Despite being pointless, I got to see some places I hadn't been and the best "watch for wildlife" warning I've seen to date...the following was split across 4 signs right after 3 "WATCH FOR ELK" signs within a mile:

THEY SAW AN ELK
OH, WHAT A THRILL
UNTIL THEY SMASHED IT
ON THE GRILL

About 150 miles total on the Interstate, to avoid the defenseless victim zoneIndian reservation in Arizona. Beautiful day for riding, sun up to sun down. Who else has a positive ride report so far this summer? [:)]

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went for a ride Friday, a little over 300 miles.
    Most of it through the mountains.
    Just puttin, nice and easy.
    Weather was perfect.
    Took all day. [:D]

Had to smile after your story about the ticket.
    I would not mind too much paying that one. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was windy as heck in NM. Local Gallup cop told me it'd been that way for 2 weeks straight! I'm sure I'll have a stiff neck in the morning for it, but I got to see Shiprock and the Payson, AZ area.
  • Options
    FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too went out for a spin yesterday. I rode an older FLH that I just got up and running. Its a goodun, original paint, motor never apart yet. Saw lots of local lawmen looking for the drunk drivers.
    72_flh_001.jpg

untitled.bmp
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAHAHAHHA wasting a finite resource, what the hell is that! Does that mean, if I just go for a spin, without having a destination, im wasting a finite resource?

GWB_logo_100.gifErie.gifak.jpg01_american_flag.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    HAHAHAHHA wasting a finite resource, what the hell is that! Does that mean, if I just go for a spin, without having a destination, im wasting a finite resource?

I thought about pointing out that the patrol car's engine was running while he stood outside to write the ticket, but thought the better of it when I found out the fine is 1/5 as much as speeding. [:D]
  • Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of that charge, but down here if we don't want to bang someone full boat for speeding we use violation of a traffic control device for not obeying the speed limit sign. It's about $75 instead of $130 and up depending on the speed. Someone doing 30 over in a construction or school zone is looking at about $450 for a full speeding ticket here.

"One day lad, all this will be yours."
    "What, the curtains?"
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/azspeed.pdf

Speeding 65 in a 55 zone
    Limited sanctions for exceeding a posted speed limit 55 mph

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flathead
    I too went out for a spin yesterday. I rode an older FLH that I just got up and running. Its a goodun, original paint, motor never apart yet. Saw lots of local lawmen looking for the drunk drivers.
    72_flh_001.jpg

untitled.bmp

love that bike flathead, is yours a '73? or is the front end off of a different year? I think '73 was the only year with drum rear and disk front breaks.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Flathead

If I had to have a Harley, I would chose that bike. Gorgeous. First bike I ever to got ride on was one just like that. Hired hand took me 16 miles into town to watch the parade for the fair. I asked my folks if I could ride to town with Delmer to watch the parade and they said yes. I did not bother to add on the bike[:D] Figured they were on a need to know basis and they did not need to know[}:)]

Mom was a little in shock.[:o)] Forgot to mention I was only 7 years old when I pulled that one off.[:p]

I have been hooked ever since.

Good ride Zerodin. Wish I was there.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Nice old Shovelhead, Bro.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love them fins on yer shovelhead, the old styles are still the best. Wouldn't trade my pan for nuttin, even tho i'm ridin a ultra most of the time, still take out the old scoot just to see heads turn.

Only The Strong Survive!!!!!
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a little puttin on friday ,made a circle around state (wi)
    miss river down to the wis river over to greenbay then home
    We havent had many days to ride yet[:(!]
    ps 79 xlch bought new when I joined the corps
    just taken apart and repainted the frame this winter
    new carb,brakes clutch.....I had a buddy do the engine work heads valves,... much