In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Keep'em loaded or not?

kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
A post by dcloco made me wonder..

Do most of you guys keep your guns loaded or unloaded?

I keep mine loaded with the saftey on.
[8D]

Comments

• Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are always loaded, as the bad guy doesn't stop to let you load.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep two handguns by my bed. A .45 and a 9

Both have loaded mags, no rounds in the chamber.

I keep a 32rd stick mag in my glock. If nothing else, it'll keep a bad guy's head down while I reload the .45 [:D]
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Most are kept loaded. Most of the pistols are ready to go. Most of the rifles are not chambered, but loaded. Most shotguns are loaed. I think the reason most of the rifles are not loaded is do to the ammount of fondeling they get. It beats up the rim of the round pretty good to just keep cycling them.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our "go to" guns are loaded. One shotgun and one .357 revolver apiece for me and The Wife. Everything else stays unloaded unless we're actually shooting.
  • Options
    lfi guylfi guy Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two loaded pistols in the bedroom quick access safe with extra ammo[:p]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    An unloaded weapon is sorta like a whiskey bottle with a hole in the bottom...I reckon you could throw it....
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    I keep a shotgun with shells in the tube but nothing in the chamber. There was a study done about what noise scares bugulars the most. It was the action of a shotgun.

My handguns I keep a full clip in without one in the chamber.
  • Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's important enough to have them accessible, it's important enough to keep them loaded. I've got a .45, a Buckmark .22, and an 1100 12 gauge loaded on the shelves in the closet. All the other rifles and shotguns in the safe have loaded mags, but nothing in the chamber.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Loaded mags...nothing in the tube, unless I'm carrying.
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Some loaded/cocked and locked, some not.[8D]
  • Options
    ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends what purpose the gun in question is meant to serve.

My Walther P99 9mm, and Kel Tec 380 are always loaded and chambered unless I am cleaning them, going to IDPA, or doing something else where unloading them would be a wise idea.

I never load my browning buckmark 22 pistol unless I am on the firing line at the range. I also keep my skeet shotgun unloaded unless I'm on a stage.

My mossberg 500 has a full tube, but empty chamber.

My Walther and Kel Tec are my "emergency guns". They are pretty easily accessible, but also cleverly hidden - where most bad guys won't find them.

My mossberg would be significantly slower getting into action, but if I hear a window smash at the opposite side of the house, I'd probably go for it (much more time than waking up to see a masked man standing at my bedroom doorway).

My other guns I don't really intend to use for defensive purposes, so I leave them unloaded. Well, I don't intend to use them unless a war like situation were to break out, then I'd load every gun I have...
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Loaded magazine in gun, safety on, empty chamber for my house gun.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns? What are guns? I don't have any, anyway.
  • Options
    KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep no weapons loaded stripper clip is near the sks!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had guns, I'd keep them loaded. [;)]
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Clarentavious

A masked man standing at my bedroom doorway.

Who was that masked man?

....I dunno....maybe you can scrape enough DNA off the wall to identify him?[:D]
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kyplumber
    A post by dcloco made me wonder..

Do most of you guys keep your guns loaded or unloaded?

I keep mine loaded with the saftey on.
    [8D]

All of them, other than the .22LR target pistol, are kept loaded and locked away except for the one I carry daily or the one kept near my bed at night.
  • Options
    Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaded, but none in the chamber unless they're at college with me.[;)] Safety's always on regardless. [:D]
  • Options
    WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few of my guns have safties. I keep a Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag in the night stand. I leave the first cylinder empty, so it requires two trigger pulls to fire. Reason is, if somebody gets a hold of that revolver that isn't supposed to, that "click" of the hammer on an empty chamber after the first trigger pull may be enough time for me to get it out of their hands, or get the hell away. I figure if somebody is already on me so fast that I don't have time for two quick trigger pulls, then I am probably already f***ed. The point is that I KNOW the first cylinder is empty, but THEY DON'T!

I also keep a Remington 1100 next to the bed with 3 in the magazine but an empty chamber.

My biggest dilemma was how to store my truck gun. I didn't feel comfortable storing a loaded double action revolver or a loaded semi-auto with no safety in my truck. Yet my truck gun is the one I would most likely need in firing mode quickly. So I bought a semi-auto with a safety. It takes about a quarter of a second to click off the safety and have the gun ready to fire. However, someone unfamiliar with the gun might take 4 or 5 seconds to figure that out, just enough time for me to get it out of the hands of a child, or gain some distance from a bad guy.

-Wolf
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    Few of my guns have safties. I keep a Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag in the night stand. I leave the first cylinder empty, so it requires two trigger pulls to fire. Reason is, if somebody gets a hold of that revolver that isn't supposed to, that "click" of the hammer on an empty chamber after the first trigger pull may be enough time for me to get it out of their hands, or get the hell away. I figure if somebody is already on me so fast that I don't have time for two quick trigger pulls, then I am probably already f***ed. The point is that I KNOW the first cylinder is empty, but THEY DON'T!

I also keep a Remington 1100 next to the bed with 3 in the magazine but an empty chamber.

My biggest dilemma was how to store my truck gun. I didn't feel comfortable storing a loaded double action revolver or a loaded semi-auto with no safety in my truck. Yet my truck gun is the one I would most likely need in firing mode quickly. So I bought a semi-auto with a safety. It takes about a quarter of a second to click off the safety and have the gun ready to fire. However, someone unfamiliar with the gun might take 4 or 5 seconds to figure that out, just enough time for me to get it out of the hands of a child, or gain some distance from a bad guy.

-Wolf
    You need to be careful when you change to Colt!....[8D]...they dont spin the same way![:0] found out the hard way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Most of mine stay loaded all the time. But rarely a round chambered except for one of my .45's that is allways ready to go.
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..condition 3 hammer down on an empty chamber for all my 1911's and the same for my 870 by the bed. 7 kids and 9 grand babies taught me those lil buggers are way too curious...
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything outside the safe is fully loaded including in the chamber. The bad guy won't hear a click or a slide work but see a big white light.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Guns? What guns?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Everything outside the safe is fully loaded including in the chamber. The bad guy won't hear a click or a slide work but see a big white light.
    That may be true, but I like the factor that a crook is going to mess his pants when he hears the rack of a 12 gauge pump![:D]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have two 357's for everyday carry- they be loaded. Rest of the guns are unloaded. Because we DO live in the country, I keep a magazine for one rifle loaded, but out of the weapon (quick load up if I need a rifle) With our kids, and then the grandkids (and maybe a GREAT grandkid next year) we starting teaching them gun safety at about age 5. Wanna look at it? No problem, ask Grandad. Touch without asking- you have a problem. No gun safe, but a mile down the road there IS a former bank for rent- CHEAP. Got this nice Diebold vault in there.....
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An unloaded gun for home defense is more dangerous than a loaded one. That's why I keep two loaded revolvers within easy reach and ready to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    An unloaded gun is a stick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    That may be true, but I like the factor that a crook is going to mess his pants when he hears the rack of a 12 gauge pump![:D]
    I hear this all the time! do you really want to give your position away? racking the gun while someone is coming at you is wasting time IMO. My home defense guns are loaded and locked with hopes I may never need them.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

I like the factor that the crook is going to Crap at the loud bang after I pull the trigger.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    This is why I like tactical nukes. Nobody hears anything, and there's no crap to clean afterwards.

I get the dry heaves whenever I have to clean up crap.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had a gun, I'd keep the Remington 1100 eight shooter loaded, and a S&W 29-3, and a S&W 60-9. If I had any more they would be unloaded. If they wife had a couple of H&R .22LR's, she'd keep them loaded.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--I have two safes-all firearms inside ---UNLOADED---

--I have a split level home and gun shed, all firearms NOT in SAFES are loaded--

--[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    12ga pump -loaded, 4 in the 5rd mag, 1 in the chamber, safety on. All 00 buck with 5rds of 4 buck in a saddle on the side

40 caliber CZ - Loaded, 8 in the 10rd mag, 1 in the hole, decocked, spare 10 mag with 8rds.

Taurus PT111 - Loaded, 9 in the 12rd mag, 1 in chamber, Safety on, spare 12rd mag with 9rds.

All are in the bedroom. If we are outside the bedroom after 11pm or so, one comes with us into the room we are in.

Everything else is unloaded. They are either used for hunting, target shooting, or just plinking. No reason to be loaded. However, they are within easy access from the bedroom with plenty of ammo nearby.

At least that's what I did before I sold them ALL.[8D]
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Man!you guys must live in a pretty rough part of town. Paranoia will destroy ya! Guns in safe unloaded, pumper in bedroom closet 12 ga with the tube full of .00 buck, just in case[;)]
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Too many young grandkids around for that ... I trust them but I know nothing of their friends they bring along sometimes.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SLING BLADE
    Man!you guys must live in a pretty rough part of town. Paranoia will destroy ya! Guns in safe unloaded, pumper in bedroom closet 12 ga with the tube full of .00 buck, just in case[;)]
    I used to live in a very rough town, so habits carry over.

Now I live in the sticks where we really don't have any problems.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1

You're right, we don't live in a great area.

We bought this house 3yrs ago on 1/3 the budget we have now. Been doing renovations and have a couple left to finish before we sell.

This summer a man was shot 1 block east of us. The ambulance found him in my alley. They never found the shooter. My neighbors called to have me check out their backyards and garages. I like 1 block south of a hard core biker bar and another tough bar. A man was nearly beaten to death this spring at one and someone was stabbed at the biker bar last year. A murder took place about 10blocks east of us last fall. The street we live on is not bad, but go one block north, east, or west and it gets worse. We're getting a place well out in the country when we move.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Agree with James. IF there were any people here vile enough to own guns they would probably keep a loaded model 66 Smith&Smoker and a Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 buck on the hubby's side of the bed. On the Warden's side would be a Wingmaster 20ga and a model 36 S&S. Elsewhere in the bedroom might be an M1A with a loaded magazine next to it.
    But there's no guns here, "gunns is bad".
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Paranoia doesn't destroy ya. I've been paranoid most of my adult life. Paranoia is my friend. If I wasn't paranoid, I wouldn't know how to act.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.